Longest trips possible by public transit

4 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

What is the longest distance you can travel in the US by public transit? Bus and local (but not Amtrak) rail included. Not necessarily possible in one day. Longest I can come up with is approximately 315 miles, Sebastian Fl to Key West Fl.

I’d need to find the Twitter thread, but someone just did Boston to DC, and moreover, they did it bus only. Requires some tricky connections, but it’s possible. The driving distance is ~437 miles, so probably longer just by the inherent nature of buses.

Buses and train? The answer is probably still the NE corridor, or in California  

Buses are possible in California - starting from Fort Bragg through the Mexico Border* (Sonoma County - Golden Gate - Muni - SamTrans or AC Transit - VTA - Santa Cruz/17 - Santa Cruz - Monterrey - SLORTA - Santa Maria (Clean Air Express or the Regional) - Santa Barbara MTD - Ventura County - LADOT 422 or a metric ton of LACMTA locals and the 460 - OC Bus (since the 700's from DTLA are suspended still, the 460 is in play DTLA to Anaheim) - North Coast and SDMTD.

*counting the Amtrak Thruway, you could do it from Redding and Chico or Lake Tahoe down, no train ticket required to use it. 

(and no, I have zero desire to try it. The Starlight was barely enough for me)