“L” train schedule reliability W-WW site

pudgym29

From an article on Block Club Chicago, I learned of this W-WW site by Brandon McFadden which depicts the number of actual arrivals compared with the number scheduled for select stations on the Authority's Rapid Transit Division.

He has done a solid job compiling the data to illustrate the percentages of actual train arrivals compared with the number scheduled; beginning on 24 June. None of the Authority's “L” routes are close to 100%. The highest percentages are ~78% on Mondays, on down to 58% on select Saturdays. (Sundays have fewer trains scheduled, so that day's percentages are slightly higher.)

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, garmon757 said:

Those two runs won’t have any service because of the reconstruction of the rail ties on the incline between Loomis Junction and Harrison Junction. They could’ve adjusted the schedule brochure but I don’t know what else they have planned. 

On 1/30/2023 at 3:58 PM, pudgym29 said:

It could be inferred that another reason for the discontinuance of the 5000-series runs on the Blue Line is that the two runs will be reassigned to the 7000-series trains.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, Busjack said:

@garmon757 said that the runs were missing, and he works the line.

The announcement on the live feed (CTA Press Release) , besides saying "The live feed will show images providing general platform conditions at the following six stations" says "Since last month, the CTA has had a strong focus on the AM rush period along this stretch of the Blue Line, including:

Adding extra trains to the Blue Line, deploying them from Jefferson Park when there have been larger gaps between trains. Two extra trains are added each morning."

As the two R trains are still on the schedule, something else must be covering the runs. The first 4 UIC trips start at O'Hare.

image.thumb.png.89ccbf48978563a816fabda7630bdf66.png``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

CTA updated the Blue Line schedule last month but hasn't published a PDF version. Any website or app that pulls the GTFS shows the new schedule.

Essentially, they are down to 6-10 mins peak, 12 mins midday, and 15 mins evenings and weekends. 

At the last board meeting I believe they said they are making more tweaks to the Blue Line schedule in March.

Also on 2/27 they restarted overnight service outbound from O'Hare.

9 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

CTA updated the Blue Line schedule last month but hasn't published a PDF version. Any website or app that pulls the GTFS shows the new schedule.

Essentially, they are down to 6-10 mins peak, 12 mins midday, and 15 mins evenings and weekends. 

At the last board meeting I believe they said they are making more tweaks to the Blue Line schedule in March.

Also on 2/27 they restarted overnight service outbound from O'Hare.

Since you made me look, the timetable is dated Oct. 2022. Since just about any program can print a pdf, I don't see why it hasn't been updated. Maybe CTA is back to lying again,

image.png.5f1866594040c1c2d8d903d3d960ef9c.png

At the March Board meeting* Dorval Carter said around here  something about that with the Spring pick, there would be more short turns at UIC and updating travel times on the Forest Park branch, but I couldn't figure out what steps CTA was actually proposing. Anyone else have any insight?

*An aside, one of the most chaotic meetings I have seen, but maybe the new secretary can't keep the directors in line.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

At the March Board meeting* Dorval Carter said around here  something about that with the Spring pick, there would be more short turns at UIC and updating travel times on the Forest Park branch, but I couldn't figure out what steps CTA was actually proposing. Anyone else have any insight?

*An aside, one of the most chaotic meetings I have seen, but maybe the new secretary can't keep the directors in line.

Based on what he said and my riding experience,  the Blue Line service is consistently inconsistent.   The majority of the Forest Park branch is a ow zone.  Since the overwhelming majority of trains run the entire length of theube, the whole lune suffers.  By introducing the short turns again, the O'Hare branch gets more consistent service.   Forest Park branch trains run mostly e.pty, even on this new schedule, but currently getting into the Forest Park station can be a hassle with backlogs   

I would primarily expect this change to be implemented in rush hour, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened midday also.  They could run 7 minute intervals between O'Hare and UIC abd 15 minute intervals to Forest Park  The inky question is whether more operators would start st O'Hare/Rosemont or will Forest Park operators have to perform at least one short turn operation during their shift?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Busjack said:

News story pointing to this CTA release about the new trips between UIC and O'Hare, starting March 26. One of the reasons given is the Kennedy Expressway construction.

According to the article two morning rush hour trains are being added from Jefferson Park.   Could this be the return of the Pink Line  or should I say 54th Yard operated Blue Line trains?

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

According to the article two morning rush hour trains are being added from Jefferson Park.   Could this be the return of the Pink Line  or should I say 54th Yard operated Blue Line trains?

Nope. Both linked sources say UIC to O'Hare.

An upcoming alert points to the following schedule. No Racine trips.

image.thumb.png.255eda0c7bca4394e3731f89b998f89a.png