ENC (ElDorado) shutting down transit bus mfg.

Maybe more significant from our  perspective is the statement that it will  be "winding down operations at its ElDorado National-California (“ENC”) business, which is expected to be substantially completed by the end of fiscal year 2024, once existing customer orders are completed and delivered," given that the Pace board authorized a contract for CNG buses for Wheeling, and Metzger said it would order 46, but I assume never did so. Also, they said "the financial health of key suppliers, has created a competitive bidding for diesel and CNG buses that has made it difficult for ENC to compete profitably versus peers of greater scale." So they aren't interested in that part of the market, either.

Official release

A little more info in Mass Transit.

16 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Any guesses on another manufacturer entering the U.S. transit market by the time CTA and/or Pace should order more 40 footers?

Also AFAIK, the only makers of 60ft artics would be New Flyer and BYD.

I wouldn't  enter the market now, given supply chain issues, and basically U.S. transit agencies have quit ordering in significant quantities due to uncertainty over electrification.  For instance. look at https://revgroup.com/ (click on News Feed ENC). There used to be an item every time Pace exercised an option, but now there's only 19 FC buses for Foothill Transit and 3  FCs for RGRTA. On scale, you can compare that to NFI's volume, which was 4000 EU, or probably 2000 buses (an EU would be a 40-ft diesel buses), although that also includes subsidiaries (MCI) and Canada.

I'm sure Buy America is now a deterrent to foreign entry.

Surprisingly, with respect to 30-ft electric buses, that market appears more competitive (GreenPower, ARBOC [NFI}, BYD, Lion).