United Motor Coach schedules

andrethebusman

Anybody have old United Motor Coach schedules from before the big 1969 cutbacks they would be willing to share scans of?

Particularly looking for the form with routes in the Golf Mill area (70-71-72), Park Ridge locals (40-41-42) and route 80 Loop to Elk Grove Village.

Andre

Trying to figure out routes as I remember them when I was out exploring in the mid 1960s. Rode all this stuff. Been trying to work up route histories for what became Nortran. Seems nobody has done much on Suburban routes like I did for CTA as posted on irm-cta.org 

Few more if you have them - 10 to Glenview, 11 to Wheeling, 12 to Evanston, 13 to Antioch (that one I never did do), 90-91 Touhy.

Thanks so much again!

On 4/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, andrethebusman said:

Trying to figure out routes as I remember them when I was out exploring in the mid 1960s. Rode all this stuff. Been trying to work up route histories for what became Nortran. Seems nobody has done much on Suburban routes like I did for CTA as posted on irm-cta.org 

Few more if you have them - 10 to Glenview, 11 to Wheeling, 12 to Evanston, 13 to Antioch (that one I never did do), 90-91 Touhy.

Thanks so much again!

Here's some more for you.

When you are done, I hope you will share a link to your finished project.

By any chance, do you have any Glenview Bus Company schedules?  Or schedules for the Evanston Bus Co route from Irving Park/Cicero to Old Orchard?

On 4/10/2024 at 2:52 PM, andrethebusman said:

These would be the last versions before the end of Glenview Bus Co.

These show some origins of what became RTA/Pace routes, although many have since been dismembered: Wheeling (Northbrook)-Davis 212;  Northfield-Linden  423 (although, around 1976, Wilbus 23 was only between Linden and Plaza del Lago), Old Orchard-Linden 422, and Wilmette Ave. 421.

A couple of questions for anyone that goes back far enough:

• What was in Gross Point (Wilmette on Ridge Rd.) that warranted that much service?
  • Why did the buses to and from Evanston go via Clark-Oak instead of Ridge to Church and Davis to Ridge as 213 does now? I also sort of remember that 213 (which was derived from an EBC route) also went that way.

17 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

One question I can answer is they went via Clark and Oak because turns at Ridge at Davis and Church would have been difficult to make. Slightly sharper than 90 degrees. Also Ridge and Clark had a left turn lane, while Ridge and Church did not.

But 213 now makes those turns, and they are much bigger buses than what GBC ran (according to some archived pictures). Maybe the difference is the traffic island now separating the left turn lane on Ridge to Clark.

36 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Ridge and Clark had not changed physically in decades to any degree. I do think that at one time there was no left turn from Ridge into Church.

Not true. The maze intersection at Green Bay, Emerson, and Ridge was rebuilt in 2016 (City of Evanston) , and the intersection of Clark and Oak was reconstructed in 2021.

And according to Google Maps, i am approximately 1760  miles (and 22 years) closer to the situs than you are.