Why the 6000 Flxibles too?

sw4400

The CTA announced yesterday that the additional bus orders will complete the 5300 series Flxibles, start retirement of the 4400 series TMC RTS buses, and start retirement of the 6000 series Flxibles.  The 5300 and 4400 series I can understand(they are either not rehabbed or nearing 20 years of age), but why the 6000 series Flxibles??? The CTA just spent millions of dollars in 2004-2005 to have them rehabbed(rehabbed engines, LED displays, new coat of paint and even logos on some).  I understand these buses are high floor, but they run very good and are very speedy still.  IMO, the CTA shouldn't retire them till somtime after 2010(15th year of service).

--Grab a wrench, save a bus-- :D

It is the spokeswomen at work, and maybe the operative word is "begin." The Press Release issued when Option 1 was picked up said: "Once in place, the new buses will complete the Chicago Transit Authority’s replacement of 15-year-old Flxible buses purchased in 1991." Now they are saying: "Today’s order of 200 buses will complete the replacement of the 1991 Flxible buses and begin the replacement of TMC buses purchased in 1991, and Flxible buses purchased in 1995." So much for consistency, unless, as rmadisonwi indicated, they are expanding the fleet.

650 new buses might get them somewhere into the 4400s. The only 6000s I see retired are those that were wrecked and can be written off after their 12 year useful life, similar to Pace now getting rid of 2322 and 2361. The rehabbed 6000s aren't going anywhere soon, and it would take approximately 1220 New Flyers to get rid of them (unless they intend to count some of the Optimas). However, the current order, with options, is only for 1070.

As far as it goes, they could have said that this begins the replacement of the 5800s, as some of them are also out of service due to fires.

As far as it goes, they could have said that this begins the replacement of the 5800s, as some of them are also out of service due to fires.

Replacing the New Flyers(5800 series) that are scrapped I can see, but not the ones that are still operating because, like the 6000 series Flxibles, they underwent a mid-life rehab in 2005.  To retire them this early, since they will only be 12 years of age(2 years since rehab) is a waste of CTA vehicles and money.  They kept the Flyers(purchased in 1983) until 2002(19 years).  The GM Fishbowls were around the same age at retirement(17-19 years), as are the TMC's(17-18 years).  I wouldn't be suprised to see the NOVA's replaced soon after their scheduled rehab(probably beginning around 2009-2010), if this is how the CTA will phase the buses out of service now.

Replacing the New Flyers(5800 series) that are scrapped I can see, but not the ones that are still operating because, like the 6000 series Flxibles, they underwent a mid-life rehab in 2005.
Nobody implied the second clause. And most of my post was directed at the spokeswomen's imprecise, inconsistent, or intentionally misleading diction, similar to when they had a Press Release saying that CTA would purchase "up to 25" Compobuses, then Dick Winston telling the Tribune "one, then maybe 2 dozen more" and it apparently turning out to be none, or saying that the base order of Optimas was "up to 50," but upon delivery said it was 45.