Shameless plug...

MetroShadow

I wrote an editorial piece in today's Red Eye, on page 23, explaining about how people should stop complaining about the problems that we will face in April. If you still haven't red today's Red Eye, by chance pick up a leftover one this weekend, or I'll maybe post it online.

-Dave

(The January 12th issue of the RedEye is also available for download on their Web site.)

I agree with your points, however I think this still is rather unfair to Red Line riders north of Belmont that will be affected as a result of the Brown Line work. When this project is complete, their tracks will still have slow zones and their stations will still be in poor condition. With no talks of a rehab for the Red Line north of Belmont, I can understand the frustration of its riders.

Three tracking will likely lead to permanent ridership lost amongst all lines affected by it.

I agree with your points, however I think this still is rather unfair to Red Line riders north of Belmont that will be affected as a result of the Brown Line work. When this project is complete, their tracks will still have slow zones and their stations will still be in poor condition. With no talks of a rehab for the Red Line north of Belmont, I can understand the frustration of its riders.

Three tracking will likely lead to permanent ridership lost amongst all lines affected by it.

I agree completely. The whole planning process for this project stinks. 3 tracking does not have to be a total loss. There should be one track in use for northbound trains and one for southbound trains and a reversable track for the rush hours. Frank's reasoning for not doing it is nothing but a cop out and an admission that they just don't have the know how to get it done. The comment of one hic up will apply whether there are 2, 3 or 4 tracks, and is simply admitting that it will happen and that there is no control on it happening, which is hooey.

While at first I tended to agree with your letter, reading over Ask Carole turned me closer to RAFAEL JARAMILLO's position. I used to take the L from Linden, but with the panhandlers, including camped out at the transit card machines (unfortunately the deaf guy pen selling scam has moved to Northbrook Court), b.s. about boarding statistics, dirty cars, etc. I decided about a year ago only to take Metra downtown. And this was before the slow zones started crippling the North Side main (the last time I rode, the only slow zones were on the Purple Line around Dempster and the constant midday work zone from Sedgwick to about Division).

In response, I came short of supporting the CTA entirely, only because of the fact that once the project stops, I doubt it will change much of anything. I know that this project was a managerial mess from the start and it was poorly planned to make things worse. I think when the management either (1) tells the truth about its promises, or (2) resigns entirely (that's up for debate) will lead to a start of trusting the policies that the board makes.

I, for one, still believe that its unfair for riders north of the brown line, but unfortunately, what other choice is there is plan this correctly? Yes, reversible tracks are a good idea, but you all know how the CTA thinks ***-backwards...I think (this is in my point of view, however) that the current idea might work, but not without its trouble spots, and yes, we will have them.

I would think it would be a little better, however, if they would run the same amount of purple line trains under to make up for lost Red Line service in the first place, at least people would be able to have a one seat ride to Evanston from Downtown, and would make things somewhat easier.

Also, if they would probably add more buses on the 11 (and make the downtown routing all day and all weekend), you might be able to take people off the train and put them on a bus. An additional express bus (or enhancing the 145/148) is considered a viable option considering the route serves downtown as well as the northwestern part of the brown line.

In response, I came short of supporting the CTA entirely, only because of the fact that once the project stops, I doubt it will change much of anything.

One of the benefits I see will be accessibility, how beneficial is arguable considering the pain its going to cost riders. Although in some station's cases its mandated by law for 2009, I believe. I use to think 8 car trains and added capacity would be the major benefit from all this mess but '3 track' changed my mind. Once this project is all done, there were be less ridership and the added capacity will be less needed.

Also, if they would probably add more buses on the 11 (and make the downtown routing all day and all weekend), you might be able to take people off the train and put them on a bus. An additional express bus (or enhancing the 145/148) is considered a viable option considering the route serves downtown as well as the northwestern part of the brown line.

I agree, this would be a great option from taking the train. Will the CTA actually implement this? I doubt it. The schedules and route were just redone, but the benefits from such alternative service would outweigh any reprinting costs. In any case, it seems the CTA hates (or cannot) spending extra money, even if they are destined to loose more by doing nothing.

Although the idea of extra buses on routes 145, 147, 148, 136, 22, 36, etc would be a good idea, where are the buses going to come from ???? If North Park can't house 3 lousy buses to cover all of the Evanston Routes (1 route out of Forest Glen), how can they handle any extra service that would be necessary ?? I am sure if other garages (ie. Kedzie) would have the same capacity problems, so bring in buses and/or operators from other garages would only hurt service in those areas. I am sure Metra would love the business, and would for sure win some converts, but they don't have any extra equipment laying around...there would be some severe overcrowding there too as trains are pretty full in rush hours now (not to mention they are crying poverty too....as the execs get 3% raises to some $225,000 plus).

Wonder if Pace would be interested in reviving the old 210 ????

Wonder if Pace would be interested in reviving the old 210 ????

Question is will Pace be willing to revive the 210, and maybe establish the 211 (and bring that into downtown)? The big question is that will North Shore be willing to establish either/or route to full 5 (or even 6, maybe dare 7) day a week service, with cutting operating funds or portions of the route.

Pace might be able to play well here, but are they willing to hear the cries of the public?

Question is will Pace be willing to revive the 210, and maybe establish the 211 (and bring that into downtown)? The big question is that will North Shore be willing to establish either/or route to full 5 (or even 6, maybe dare 7) day a week service, with cutting operating funds or portions of the route.

Pace might be able to play well here, but are they willing to hear the cries of the public?

No way. I have previously documented:
  • How CTA holds Pace in contempt, as indicated by Carole Brown's post on Ask Carole about Pace "careening up and down Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive" and having the nerve to load up at Soldier Field. Even Frank said last night on Channel 11 that "our growth last year was more than all of Pace's ridership."
  • The goal of the North Shore Restructuring was to cut service hours, and Pace essentially said that it was not doing CTA's work. In fact, 210 would have been completely eliminated if it weren't for complaints in the Glenview area.

In short, city people, don't expect Pace to come to your rescue unless your voters are willing to throw the current CTA management out and provide a tax subsidy to Pace.

P.S. Cross reference links work differently in the new program, and the old links are no longer good. :(

No way. I have previously documented:

[*]How CTA holds Pace in contempt, as indicated by Carole Brown's post on Ask Carole about Pace "careening up and down Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive" and having the nerve to load up at Soldier Field. Even Frank said last night on Channel 11 that "our growth last year was more than all of Pace's ridership."

Actually I was being 1/2 sarcastic 1/2 serious. What a better way to get into the CTA's craw (especially with the Harlem ave service theft) than to revive the 210 and have Pace rescue Frank's bonehead management. Sounds like Frankie was slamming Pace again with that quote. I understand that Pace is trying to scale down, and I wholeheartedly believe that Pace should stay in the suburbs, CTA in the city and Metra be more of a outside in-inside out operation (ie suburb-city, city suburb...not city-city). I do think though, that Pace's restructuring is ultimately hurting them because it is showing just how low their ridership is and they can't fudge the numbers as much now without interlining.

I did get a kick out of a quote in the Tribune article on this yesterday from one of the CTA alleged know it alls:

There are already transfer privileges between the CTA and Pace, Gregory said. It is not possible to use the automated CTA fare cards on Metra's manual system of fare verification.

Other than monthly passes, there are none...for that matter, CTA doesn't even have transfer privilidges between itself. What a dumb statement.

...for that matter, CTA doesn't even have transfer privileges between itself. What a dumb statement.
It does, except for cash bus fares. Transfers are still good on Transit Cards and Chicago Cards. [CTA Fares page]

I was responding more to Dave's post, which seemed to run with your idea, whatever your original intent was.