Minneapolis "t" Buses....

Um, did you mean 1241, etc? Otherwise their numbering scheme is really messed up :P I saw a couple D60LFs parked on the 494 side at South today, and a few D60s around back. I'll have to try going by and getting a photo or two if possible from the frontage road.

I'm glad the 3350s are still using the same ASC vision seats that the 3330s use, I like that model.

Yes, they are numbered in the 1200's not the 1100's. Sorry for the mistake ;)

I like the new seats, too. It allows Metro Transit to use the artics on locals.

Just saw the pics on your blog, Bus Driver Dude. It's nice to see the buses coming in so quickly. :)

The other day I saw a long cutaway on the 539, #6079. It looks new. I would imagine that one of the 30' Gilligs broke down (or maybe out for refurbishment :D ). Hopefully it is shifted to the 538 line before the school year starts, otherwise I think we will see one of the first crush-loaded cutaways!

Forgive me if I asked before but I have a seating question.

What is the seating capacity of the TC Metro New Flyer D40LFR and Gillig low floor

buses? [two door models not suburbans]

Thanks much.

Gene King

The New Flyer D60LFRs (we don't have D40LFR's) have 58 seats. I am unsure if the buses with the new seats have the same amount or not. The Gillig LF's have 38, but the Hybrid versions have 39.

The other day I saw a long cutaway on the 539, #6079. It looks new. I would imagine that one of the 30' Gilligs broke down (or maybe out for refurbishment :D ). Hopefully it is shifted to the 538 line before the school year starts, otherwise I think we will see one of the first crush-loaded cutaways!

I hope this isn't a sign of cutaways making a comeback to 538/539. Yeah the Gillgs aren't the greatest ride, but a lot of cutaways are worse IMO.

Forgive me if I asked before but I have a seating question.

The new D60LFRs with the transit style seats (American Seating Co. Vision model) have a capacity of 60. I'm not sure where they added the two extra seats as compared to the previous setup with 58 suburban styled seats. Of course the D60 suburbans take the cake with a capacity of 68.

1244 was on the 852, and 1246 was on the 5 yesterday. Today I rode 1246 and 1247 on the 5, they're very similar if not the same as last years buses.

I haven't been on any of the new BRTs lately, I did ride 1109 yesterday however. It's aging pretty well compared to when I rode it when it was new. A little squeaking and dirt but otherwise just fine.

The one major flaw I've noticed in the GILLIG Low Floor/BRT is the corner edge or seam guard on the flooring and steps. Those seem to come loose after only a year or two of service. Older Low Floors always seem to have screws added to the edge covers to hold them in place. Not a big deal really, but I'm surprised Gillig hasn't redesigned the attachment method for that part.

I haven't been on any of the new BRTs lately, I did ride 1109 yesterday however. It's aging pretty well compared to when I rode it when it was new. A little squeaking and dirt but otherwise just fine.

The one major flaw I've noticed in the GILLIG Low Floor/BRT is the corner edge or seam guard on the flooring and steps. Those seem to come loose after only a year or two of service. Older Low Floors always seem to have screws added to the edge covers to hold them in place. Not a big deal really, but I'm surprised Gillig hasn't redesigned the attachment method for that part.

Gillig must have read your mind. The 2011 BRT have metal edging and screwed in where the old plastic molding was. I wonder if this is a option item for the transit system?

post-538-13131142638502_thumb.jpg

41 new buses to come in 2012! 33 hybrids and 8 diesels to replace year 2000 Gilligs.

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Transportation/2011/0822/0822_2011_221.pdf

The agenda info also says that MT has ordered 381 out of a potential 614 bus order.

From my math, I can come up with 387.

87 diesels + 45 hybrids in 2008.

15 options for Plymouth in 2009.

31 diesels + 30 hybrids in 2010.

105 diesels in 2011.

26 diesel options for 2012.

8 diesels + 33 hybrid options for 2012.

5 diesel options for MTS in 2011.

2 diesel options for Plymouth in 2011.

= 387 buses. Maybe the MT total doesn't include the Plymouth or MTS buses. Oh well, close enough :P

EDIT: Make that 389. The U of M recieved 1 Hybrid option in both 2008 and 2010.

EDIT 2: Calcuating that differently, I think I can see how MT got 381, without including the MTS, U of M, or Plymouth buses.

There were 314 buses for the base order, out of which 298 have been delievered, or are being delivered. This would leave 16 buses left for Metro Transit, which I would assume Metro Transit will take delivery of next year. There have also been 67 options exercised for Metro Transit. 298+16+67=381

EDIT 3: Taking into account the 16 buses, the total buses in the entire order is bumped up to 405, leaving 209 options left.

Hi Tcmetro;

I appreciate that a transit bus is actually being replaced after 12 years.

Some CTA buses seemed to have gotten long in the tooth. :lol:

Gene King

Hehehe, I think the CTA beat us by replacing the NABIs so soon with the New Flyers. :D

I've seen some of the 1250s and 1260s in service on South routes now. They're coming in quickly. :) Bye-bye 500s. :(

The new service changes are out: http://metrotransit.org/TransitArticles/Story.aspx?pageid=18&mid=393&articleid=539

My thoughts: As someone who's followed transit in the Twin Cities, wow. MT is really starting to cut back their services. No service to Hopkins after midnight? No service to Wayzata after 10? Severe cuts to express service? "Service adjusted to match demand" (read: reduced) on routes across the board? Big, big stuff.

• Upvote 1

Gillig must have read your mind. The 2011 BRT have metal edging and screwed in where the old plastic molding was. I wonder if this is a option item for the transit system?

Ahh cool, just like the edge guards on the New Flyers. Thanks for getting a photo.

41 new buses to come in 2012! 33 hybrids and 8 diesels to replace year 2000 Gilligs.

-----

... leaving 209 options left.

I've noticed on occasion there are still Phantoms working Nicollet Mall routes, so it's probably a good thing they're adding more hybrids.

With 209 options left I guess that means only GILLIGs at least until 2014-2015 or so when the 900 - 1000 series is up for replacement. (Based on a rough count of the current 40' fleet) Of course that could be affected further by service reductions, less standard 40' buses needed due to LRT, BRT etc.

While in general I like the Gillig BRTs, it will start getting kind of dull around here for bus fanning. It would be nice if they could change them a bit and go with frameless windows for future orders. The aluminum frames just look dated IMO. A fancier livery probably wouldn't hurt either.

----

Also some random photos:

6061179724_9f708b1972_t.jpg 6061178184_4696020801_t.jpg 6060600329_8232065852_t.jpg

Incidentally I think I graduated from the U just in time :lol:

6061163404_1bfda715c5_t.jpg

From the prior two posts, it seems like universal trends that:

• Transit authorities are locking in prices by advertising contracts with five years worth of options, even though options can remain unexercised.
  • Transit authorities all seem to be running out of operating money, although I still assume that Illinois will be worse, because Gov. Borrow put the RTA in hock in 2010 but did not come through with the corresponding state money.

Anyone see evidence otherwise (certainly not in Minneapolis, Milwaukee or Chicago)?

The new service changes are out: http://metrotransit.org/TransitArticles/Story.aspx?pageid=18&mid=393&articleid=539

My thoughts: As someone who's followed transit in the Twin Cities, wow. MT is really starting to cut back their services. No service to Hopkins after midnight? No service to Wayzata after 10? Severe cuts to express service? "Service adjusted to match demand" (read: reduced) on routes across the board? Big, big stuff.

The cuts were only 3%, far better than the original 25% cut and 25-50 cent fare increase. Ultimately, it's not good to see the year-after-year erosion of the transit system, but at least the cuts aren't that major. For most routes, only the first and last trips are being eliminated, while only a few will see major frequency reductions. That being said, the span of service is quite generous (5 am-1 am on most urban routes), and it might be more important to the cohesiveness of the network than if a few trips were cut during other times.

SW Transit is proposing some changes for December, when the new Chanhassen Transit Station will open.

- 698 will now stop at Chanhassen Transit Station

- A branch of Rt. 690 will be added to replace Rt. 603

- 692 will be the direct service from Chanhassen Transit Station

- A branch of Rt. 690 will be added to provide extra service to Chanhassen Transit Station

- 692C will serve all Chanhassen stops (I would imagine this means CTS and Southwest Village)

- A 690 trip will be added at 6:10 PM

- A second round trip will be added to Rt. 697

To provide these service enhancements other routes will see cuts.

- 603 will be eliminated, and replaced by a branch of Rt. 690

- The 680 at 6:55 AM and 5:45 PM will be eliminated, leaving 2 round trips.

- The 684 at 6:00 AM, 5:15 PM, and 6:35 PM will be eliminated, leaving 2 round trips.

- The 690 at 4:15 PM, 4:34 PM, and 5:44 PM will be eliminated.

- The 691 at 5:16 PM will be eliminated. This will leave only the AM trip, however, there are other options available on the 698 and 699.

- The existing 692 service will be eliminated, which is basically a 690 to the U.

- The 699 at 6:17 AM and 7:31 AM will be eliminated.

http://swtransit.org/sites/d82719c7-9b33-46b8-a7af-e5577d7145af/uploads/8.25.11_PACKET.pdf

-------

I will add my thoughts and opinions... :lol:

It looks like SWT is trying to kill the 680 and 684, which are the likely the least productive routes. While I am not too worried about the 680 (it basically serves 2 very small park and rides), the 684 is important for suburban job access. I remember how back in the late 90's SW Transit was boasting their impressive model for reverse commute service that got national recognition. Now they will only have 2 trips. The 684 gets decent ridership (IMO), perhaps 20-30 people per trip.

---

It looks like SWT is trying to kill the 680 and 684, which are the likely the least productive routes. While I am not too worried about the 680 (it basically serves 2 very small park and rides), the 684 is important for suburban job access. I remember how back in the late 90's SW Transit was boasting their impressive model for reverse commute service that got national recognition. Now they will only have 2 trips. The 684 gets decent ridership (IMO), perhaps 20-30 people per trip.

Wow, surprising they would cut a route that much if it really gets 20-30 riders a trip! There are quite a few MVTA express runs which usually only get an average of 10-20 riders by comparison. The 436/489 reverse routes certainly don't get full either. There still seems to be sufficient demand to run them however.

EDIT: Also I wonder how long the BlueXpress reverse commute trips will run, the 492 I see at CGTS is usually empty. I guess as long as the cost of driving around Shakopee a bit isn't too much though they'll keep running them since they need to get the buses downtown anyways.