Minneapolis "t" Buses....

I saw a very different looking Metro Transit bus in the South Garage's parking lot last Thursday, 5/24. Must have been a demo but looked really nice. Anyone have any info on it?

Might it have been one of the the previously mentioned XDE40?

Hey, you guys laugh at Millennium, but from what I am hearing, if they can get their act together seriously, they have a lot of people who want their buses, both high and low floor.

If they do get it together I could even see Metro Transit possibly buying a few units to try out. And I'm sure there are quite a few interested agencies out there, especially some of the last Phantom buyers who seemed to switch to LF only because HF was no longer offered by Gillig or MTS.

However I still find the idea of Met Council awarding the next 5 year contract to MTS laughable.

However I still find the idea of Met Council awarding the next 5 year contract to MTS laughable.

If past performance is one of the criteria, MTS would have a problem that they punted their only big contract (NJT).

Since the RTS Extreme page still talks about the user participating in a development program, I really doubt that any transit agency would lock in a 5 year contract on unproven equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone:

Recently MTA Maryland (Baltimore) approved a contract with New Flyer to buy 53 Xcelsiors as a piggyback order from the Minnesota DOT, now that Metro Transit is buying two demos, does anyone know what agency is buying Xcelsiors for their fleet?

Link to the post:

http://www.bpw.state.md.us/static_files/Meetings/Archives/2012/Agendas/2012%20June%2020%20Agenda.pdf

I saw 1401 & 1409 sitting outside at the South Garage this morning without any ads on them. Anyone know how many are being delivered with this latest batch?

I can't find a source at the moment, but IIRC it's supposed to be 83.

Hey everyone:

Recently MTA Maryland (Baltimore) approved a contract with New Flyer to buy 53 Xcelsiors as a piggyback order from the Minnesota DOT, now that Metro Transit is buying two demos, does anyone know what agency is buying Xcelsiors for their fleet?

Link to the post:

http://www.bpw.state.md.us/static_files/Meetings/Archives/2012/Agendas/2012%20June%2020%20Agenda.pdf

No one here AFAIK, aside from the two for MT that are off the Community Transit contract. Dang MNdot is piggybacking all over the country it seems, LYNX is getting 4 NovaBus artics off the MNdot Nova contract, Santa Monica is getting 58 Gillig 40' CNG units of the MNdot Gillig contract, and now MTA is getting Xcelsiors. I wonder if anyone is using options from the MNdot NABI contract? They have, or had, one with Orion as well but of course that is no longer an option.

From what I know MNdot maintains cooperative statewide purchasing contracts with each major transit bus manufacturer, and any transit agency in the state is free to utilize those contract options and prices when buying new buses, or pursue a different contract, or issue their own RFP. Currently the only MNdot contract being used in the Twin Cities that I'm aware of is the 7 Nova LFX for MVTA. DTA, MVTA, and RPT have a separate contract with Gillig for regular fleet replacement. And Met Council is going to be issuing a new 5 year contract RFP this summer for supplying Metro Transit and MTS. Metro Bus is looking to convert it's fleet to CNG in 2013/2014 so maybe they'll be using the New Flyer contract to get some XN40 and XN35.

OT: I hope once New Flyer and Alex-Den get their partnership and midibus offering going, MNdot will set up a contract for those units. I'd be nice to see smaller fixed-route systems like Winona Transit or Hiawathaland purchase midibus (E200?) instead of jumbo cutaways.

I've seen 1400 on the 535 and on layover at the Mall of America, as well as 1404 on the 84. 1410 was also spotted at the Mall of America, so it seems that South Garage did get the first of the new order. Some of the 600's are still putting around, perhaps they will be gone by end of summer?

Hey everyone:

Link to the post:

http://www.bpw.state...20%20Agenda.pdf

Baltimore already has an order in their fleet. They aren't bad to ride either.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a few changes on the 538, 539, and 540 lines now that First Transit has taken over. First, it looks like the BE LINE branding is going away, as logos have been removed from most of the Gilligs. Signs have also been reprogrammed, for the better. There are some things that could be improved, though. For instance the 539 reads MALL OF/AMERICA, whereas the 538 reads MALL OF AMERICA in smaller font, so it fits on one exposure. On the 540, there are a bunch of different cutaways running. Only a couple of the buses running on the 540 were Aerotechs.

• 4 weeks later...

Informational presentation to Transportation Committee Advanced Technology Hybrid Buses

• All these buses are starting to look the same from the outside. :lol:
  • Apparently BAE got a new customer after losing Daimler.

Probably the only thing of consequence (and based on the stew about the 2 Pace buses). am I reading this correctly that the two buses are different? The slide show refers to BAE series hybrid drive, but then says that the "second only" will have start stop. The latter only makes sense if it is a parallel drive bus, as the engine on the series bus runs only when the batteries need recharging.

Even more reason to go to the Fair this year, too bad I have to work the 24th though :( It sounds like they might actually have one on display for the whole Fair if I understand it right? Start stop does sound similar to the KCM DE60LF units with Allison, so maybe these are two different configurations?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As part of the introduction of the New Flyer Xcelsior hybrid, free rides will be offered on bus 7291 September 10-16. 2012. This bus will be assigned to route 10 to take best advantage of the hybrid technology while giving it high visibility down Nicollet Mall. Free rides are only on bus 7291 during the promotional period, no other buses on route 10 will be free.

As part of the introduction of the New Flyer Xcelsior hybrid, free rides will be offered on bus 7291 September 10-16. 2012. This bus will be assigned to route 10 to take best advantage of the hybrid technology while giving it high visibility down Nicollet Mall. Free rides are only on bus 7291 during the promotional period, no other buses on route 10 will be free.

But will Mare and Rhoda be there?

Or maybe Prince and Morris Day, or Alexander O'Neal?

My reference was more to that at the beginning of Mary Tyler Moore, she apparently was walking on the mall and a very old look bus passed by (MeTV clip).

Of course, Kevin O'Neil of the CTA Tattler couldn't figure out my Dr. Hartley references (more MeTV).

I suppose that Rhoda was hotter at 22 than now at 62.

Now, if you can come up with a bus reference for Prince....:lol:

My reference was more to that at the beginning of Mary Tyler Moore, she apparently was walking on the mall and a very old look bus passed by (MeTV clip).

I suppose that Rhoda was hotter at 22 than now at 62.

So, Busjack, this is what it took to bring me out of lurking mode.smile.gif

Finally joined today after a few months of looking around, just to tell the story of the coincidental connection between Mary Tyler Moore and Twin Cities transit history.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered on Saturday, 19 September 1970, the exact same day the Metropolitan Transit Commission started service after buying out Twin City Lines. AIUI, technically the money changed hands about 5 PM Friday the 18th, but actual control over the buses didn't change over until midnight.

The opening scene was filmed on Nicollet Mall, and the Old Look bus was an actual Twin City Lines bus, since this obviously had to be filmed before the show premiered.

Though not transit-relevant, I did some Wikipedia research on Rhoda and Mary. Valerie Harper was 31 as of the premiere date; her character Rhoda Morgenstern was 28. Mary Tyler Moore was 33; her character Mary Richards was 31.

I used to watch that show as a kid, never really thought either of them were "hot" but maybe now if I had a time machine I'd go for Mary....

The opening scene was filmed on Nicollet Mall, and the Old Look bus was an actual Twin City Lines bus, since this obviously had to be filmed before the show premiered.

At least I guessed right about that, which is why the Nicollet Mall reference in the original post resulted in my reaction.

Though not transit-relevant, I did some Wikipedia research on Rhoda and Mary. Valerie Harper was 31 as of the premiere date; her character Rhoda Morgenstern was 28. Mary Tyler Moore was 33; her character Mary Richards was 31.

Darn. Someone was selling "born in 1950" birthday cards listing her. Wikipedia is not a source, but other sources say either 1939 or 1940.

And to get totally off the track, while Homer and Marge vary between 32 and 40, Bart is still 10, so so much for the age of characters.