Minneapolis "t" Buses....

My reference was more to that at the beginning of Mary Tyler Moore, she apparently was walking on the mall and a very old look bus passed by (MeTV clip).

Of course, Kevin O'Neil of the CTA Tattler couldn't figure out my Dr. Hartley references (more MeTV).

I suppose that Rhoda was hotter at 22 than now at 62.

Now, if you can come up with a bus reference for Prince....:lol:

LOL, there's a new book out called I, Rhoda by Valerie Harper, the actress who played Rhoda. The cover photo is from when she was young. If only I had a time machine....

Does anyone here know if the Red Line will have a route number as well. like the Blue Line is also Route 55?

Not sure, IIRC they want to have them mainly known by the colors. Green line will be 50. I don't know if they will be displaying the numbers though once they officially start promoting METRO. I doubt they would use 442 for Red, because the Red service and existing 442 route are really quite different. To start, Red will only serve MOA, CGTS, 140th, 147th, and AVTS.

Hello All, I am new to this forum

Some comments for this discussion, first Gillig 1928 MVTA was mentioned as being on the 415 for Mendota Heights. This is interesting because I don't believe that MVTA has ever operated the 415, must have been a substitute. I would like it if Metro Transit would paint the entire bus yellow and blue(or all red would be cool too). I think the new paint scheme looks like they just had the funds to start painting but not finish.

Today I was able to ride on Gillig BRT 1109 on route 64. I also saw 1100 and 1103 on the 64 as well, and 825 in the new color scheme. Also, surprised to see the New Flyer articulated buses on the 54 to Mall of America. I guess they are gearing up for the Republican National Convention.

I was the one who posted about spotting the MVTA #415. I was filming in the transit center and it came past my camera shot doing about 15mph. It was MVTA Gillig #1928, its route sign read #415 Mendota Hts. I have it on video! :)

If only Chicago and its burbs could come together like this rather than bicker and squabble over whether one is getting transit at the expense of the other and have the silly squabbles over which agency (CTA or Pace) does what on either side of the city limits line.

Chicago is so far behind in transit technology and ideas! All because of the pig headed, arrogant corrupt politics that have kept holding us back for so many years!

• 2 weeks later...

The video shows some of the problems having an in street operation (not much different than the old streetcar systems).

• The earlier downtown footage first shows someone crossing in front of the train, and a rather confusing traffic pattern of two lanes of traffic moving on a one way street on either side of a two way train line.
  • On the median portion crossing Appletree, while there is a no U turn sign, there isn't a no left turn sign (visible) nor a red left turn arrow. A red left turn arrow shows up later on other cross streets.

I assume that despite the street running, all stops are at platforms, as demonstrated near the end, not in the middle of the street.

The cars themselves looked neat, and apparently allow fairly low floor boarding. And maybe Minneapolis drivers are not as nuts as those in Chicago.

Since I am not from there, let me know if I picked up any misconception.

The video shows some of the problems having an in street operation (not much different than the old streetcar systems).

• The earlier downtown footage first shows someone crossing in front of the train, and a rather confusing traffic pattern of two lanes of traffic moving on a one way street on either side of a two way train line.
  • On the median portion crossing Appletree, while there is a no U turn sign, there isn't a no left turn sign (visible) nor a red left turn arrow. A red left turn arrow shows up later on other cross streets.

I assume that despite the street running, all stops are at platforms, as demonstrated near the end, not in the middle of the street.

The cars themselves looked neat, and apparently allow fairly low floor boarding. And maybe Minneapolis drivers are not as nuts as those in Chicago.

Since I am not from there, let me know if I picked up any misconception.

Yes, people cross in front of the train downtown. There is a delay before the train starts up from each stop to accommodate this. I agree the street running downtown sucks. Trains have their own signals which eliminates most of the conflicts you are concerned about, though. Boarding is level with the platform, and all stops are platforms. I have no idea how "nuts" Chicago drivers are, so I can't comment on that....

Yes, people cross in front of the train downtown. There is a delay before the train starts up from each stop to accommodate this. I agree the street running downtown sucks. Trains have their own signals which eliminates most of the conflicts you are concerned about, though. Boarding is level with the platform, and all stops are platforms. I have no idea how "nuts" Chicago drivers are, so I can't comment on that....

Minneapolis Drivers ≥ Chicago Drivers.

Yes, people cross in front of the train downtown. There is a delay before the train starts up from each stop to accommodate this....

I was more concerned about the person crossing midblock near the start of the video, rather than the train waiting for people to clear the platform.

My nuts Chicago driver comment was based on such things as the red light cameras having generated $400 million (but I am sure not catching all the violators), the stories about bus drivers saying they were exempt from red lights, and the numerous train-car collisions, mostly at crossings with gates.* I can sure see some driver or pedestrian saying "I looked for the traffic from the left, and didn't see the train coming from the right."

______

*Doubling down, I once stopped for a yellow on Jeffery at 71st, and some nut drove around my right, and, of course, over the ME tracks, by the time it turned red.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted in this thread...

- I've seen a lot of new buses around. Some new coaches for SW, new Gilligs for MVTA and Metro Transit. I think I saw some new Gilligs for MTS on Route 62 also, but I haven't really had time to chase buses recently.

- Red Line BRT starting on June 22nd. This will be interesting to say the least.

- Snelling Ave. Arterial BRT is beginning planning. Probably one of the best ideas Metro Transit has come up with in recent years.

- Green Line construction is 92% complete. I wonder if they will be able to complete testing and open the line early...

- Haven't had a chance to ride the new Siemens trains, but from what I've heard they're quite decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious, but why does MVTA spec out their buses with TwinVision signs where most of the other Metro Transit area agencies have Luminator signs?

TwinVision is owned by Luminator, so they might just have different specs for the MVTA buses.

Just curious, but why does MVTA spec out their buses with TwinVision signs where most of the other Metro Transit area agencies have Luminator signs?

MVTA first got Twin Vision signs in 2001 with the order of D35LF. Metro Transit at the time was still getting Luminator Flip Dot on their Phantoms. Before 2001 MVTA buses used either roll signs (cutaways, Blue Birds) or came used with whatever sign the original TA had ordered. Considering MVTA had invested in Twin Vision for LED signs, and since then typically ordered/spec'd their own buses it probably just made sense to continue with Twin Vision as they already had sign codes, programming and software for that brand. Especially considering eventually they would have all the same type of sign as is now the case. (I assume the older amber signs and the new white LED signs still share the same basic programming.) As for why they chose T.V. vs. Luminator originally it may have been due to cost, features, or just another way to differentiate from Metro Transit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have updated the following rosters on CPTDB wiki:

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Metro_Transit_%28Minnesota%29#Current_roster

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Maple_Grove_Transit#Active

I have also added the Metro Transit operated units to the MTS one:

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Metropolitan_Transportation_Services#Active

In addition Andre has provided current fleet updates for SWT, and BlueXpress so you can find those as well.

I know MVTA has gotten more Gillig BRT+ with rear doors, and I think the ARBOCs are in service, but since I don't work in the South Metro anymore I haven't been down there in a long time. I'll have to take a ride down there soon, hmm, wonder if there's anything special going on on Saturday in MVTAland? :P

Finally, without further delay, METRO Red is in service. Here is a ride video, taken this morning, of the line running northbound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnSIRQrUvyI

I did not get many photos due to time constraints and the crowds of people. Plus I plan on going fanning next week anyways:

9111333582_1cc01b54be_t.jpg 9109114633_d4c0633c7b_t.jpg 9109132677_782e80f939_t.jpg

I really like those LFX, a smooth ride, comparable to the Gilligs and D40LF, but a nice tight interior without any rattling panels or squeaky windows.

Nice pics MVTARider. Brings back memories of riding between Burnsville and Mall of America. That said, this idea of BRT, trainlike bus stations is little more than gimmuck and a lot of waste of money. Other than signal priority and/or dedicated lanes, the rest is gimmick. The Twin Cities Metro buses already use the HOV lanes and the shoulders.

Nice pics MVTARider. Brings back memories of riding between Burnsville and Mall of America. That said, this idea of BRT, trainlike bus stations is little more than gimmuck and a lot of waste of money. Other than signal priority and/or dedicated lanes, the rest is gimmick. The Twin Cities Metro buses already use the HOV lanes and the shoulders.

Thanks :) I hear you on that, while I do support expanding transit service and understand it doesn't pay for itself, I have to wonder if we could have another route or better frequency had the stations not been so elaborate.

----

Also I forgot to post this here before, Gillig is the recommended winner for the latest 5 year contract for MT/MTS 40' diesel and hybrid units. The final price for the base order is $438,033 per diesel bus and $658,716 per hybrid bus.

0610_2013_137.pdf

----

Also I forgot to post this here before, Gillig is the recommended winner for the latest 5 year contract for MT/MTS 40' diesel and hybrid units. The final price for the base order is $438,033 per diesel bus and $658,716 per hybrid bus.

attachicon.gif0610_2013_137.pdf

Confirms that they are paying a bit more than Pace (for Eldorados) but about $55K less than CTA for Novas.

Any indication if they are Gillig BRTs, or the flat faced low floor?