Niles 2600's

trainman8119

Niles finally has their 2600's running. I saw 2642 on the 411 and 2648-5 minutes

later on the 413...both near Touhy and Caldwell around 12:30.

Those things stick out like a sore thumb there...but they are in service and

operational. At least you can tell which route it is as the bright orange will

blind you (compared to what was left on the Chance's).

I know I could trust trainman. However, I wonder about pace2322's definition of "in service," because 1920s were on the street last Monday.

Here are a few shots:

post-14-1181415679_thumb.jpg post-14-1181415730_thumb.jpg post-14-1181415763_thumb.jpg

Now, for some fun:

• You didn't like the paper "Regular" and "Special" signs on the last days of the 1920s? Why wasn't there an "Irregular" sign?
  • These sure look like the ones pace2322 and I saw in South Holland six months ago. Oh, wait, they are the ones I saw in South Holland six months ago.
  • They don't look strange to me, since that is what I expected. However, they may look strange in that, as far as the northern suburbs are concerned, Niles has what is now a "normal" Pace bus (with 2632 to about 2663 in Highland Park, Niles, and North Shore, respectively).
  • There wasn't a farebox. Wait, it is a "free bus."
  • A woman waiting for the bus said, unlike the old ones, these have shock abosrbers. I said that people were complaining that new CTA buses (technically the NABIs) didn't.

I'll let it sit a couple of days and then determine if it is worth it to take a trip to McHenry County to see if their buses (I would guess 2695 to 2702) are there. (Note the two uses of the homonym).

Update: It dawned on me, looking at the above pictures, that the Niles buses don't have the large "wrench logo" on the right side. Driving through Niles today (for Nick's Gyros and the Polish Deli) I did see that they do have the wrench on the left side, but not the right. Compare to the prior pictures of (now) Highland Park buses in post 3526, and see jesi's left and right pictures of 2644 (links added after I viewed the next message).

Are the Chances fully out of service now? I saw one in service on June 8, with a functioning destination sign.
Being on the street, one can't definitely say, but having driven completely through Niles on the 9th and 10th, none were visible, and I can account for having seen pretty much all of the 2640s.