Lack of State Funding-UGH

trainman8119

You know, as this process continues on, I am becoming more and more disenchanted with those who run these service boards. It really irks me to read the Pace Passenger Notices, along with the notices the CTA posted at bus stops stating: "due to lack of state funding...". I just wish that they would state the real obvious: "due to years of mismanagement and wasteful spending, we can no longer provide what has become less reliable service...". I am sick and tired of seeing how the legislatures are to blame for this mess. Lets face it, the people of Chicago have been fortunate the balance of political has been in this area. Had it not, the RTA would have never been created in the first place and 75% of the commuter rail service you have now, along with much of what is now Pace would have been gone since the early 70's. The state bailed out all of the local/private public service transportation then. RIP United Motor Coach, Aurora Bus Lines, Evanston Bus Company, South Suburban Safeway Lines, Milwaukee Road, Rock Island, Norfolk and Southern...and who knows, by now Chicago Transit Authority. I am beginning to think we should sue to have the "A" deleted from the CTA, because they sure don't seem to be an authority on Chicago Transit. What we have here now is those from outside of Chicago putting there foot down and saying enough is enough. We are not going to keep bailing you guys out and let our schools and roads and anything else from Kankakee down south not get any piece of the pie. They called a special session for Monday, but remember, that is just the Senate. The House rejected the plan...and by quite a bit. Nope, I think this one may go on for awhile. There will probably be some money down the road, but not what the temper tantrum execs at CTA Pace and Metra want. Regardless, they will be there with their hands out come March and nothing will change. Cheers to those who defeated this. Time for the kids to be accountable for their actions (or lack of them)

Funny, CTA must have really believed that they were going to get the money before next Sunday. They didn't waste any time getting those notices out on a Saturday at all of those bus stops.

You know, as this process continues on, I am becoming more and more disenchanted with those who run these service boards. It really irks me to read the Pace Passenger Notices, along with the notices the CTA posted at bus stops stating: "due to lack of state funding...". I just wish that they would state the real obvious: "due to years of mismanagement and wasteful spending, we can no longer provide what has become less reliable service...". I am sick and tired of seeing how the legislatures are to blame for this mess.

I blame this on CTA, PACE, METRA, the governer, and the damn legislatures. It's the transit compaines fault for spending money on stupid crap like those little cameras (whatever they are) and new seats on buses. It's the governer's fault because he likes to veto everything all the time, and that's why even the schools don't have money. It's the legislatures fault for not providing the money and quarrling amongst theirselves all the time, another reason why I hate polictics. That's my opinion, and if you disagree with me, too bad on your part...

I'm sorry buslover, I agree with you 100%. You mentioned the schools, and while out of topic, I heard something on the radio today about how the governor says the legislature has to pass something else before he can release the money, even though it is the state comptroller's job. Like I said before, there is enough blame to go around, from the mismanagement listed in the Auditor General's report, to the CTA and RTA waiting to propose bills until a simple majority wasn't enough, to the legislature watering down the reforms in the bills to meaninglessness, to the governor's veto threats, to the political nature of the doomsday cuts. As I predicted, the meltdown will begin, and I doubt that anything will be accomplished before June 2008 (if not June 2009). Maybe that is what it will take to force some peoples' hands.

Trainman, you know that I also concur with you. The Pace Passenger Notices all say "due to lack of State funding at this time," but Pace has made it clear, not only in the Tribune article on 835 I mentioned a couple of weeks back, but elsewhere, including its proposals for contractor services, that the routes listed for elimination in October are not coming back, period. Remember, I said that whether there was a lack of funding or the restructuring plan was implemented, 831 and 835 were gone in any case. So, the lack of state funding is primarily cover. The real question with regard to Pace bus is whether it will pull the trigger on weekend routes (other than the low performing ones that are definitely dead in October) and the feeders (again other than the ones biting it in October).

The real interesting question is what the reaction to the paratransit fare increases will be, especially since Mayor Daley and CTA divorced themselves of that problem and put it in the RTA's and Pace's lap.

I'm sorry buslover, I agree with you 100%. You mentioned the schools, and while out of topic, I heard something on the radio today about how the governor says the legislature has to pass something else before he can release the money, even though it is the state comptroller's job. Like I said before, there is enough blame to go around, from the mismanagement listed in the Auditor General's report, to the CTA and RTA waiting to propose bills until a simple majority wasn't enough, to the legislature watering down the reforms in the bills to meaninglessness, to the governor's veto threats, to the political nature of the doomsday cuts. As I predicted, the meltdown will begin, and I doubt that anything will be accomplished before June 2008 (if not June 2009). Maybe that is what it will take to force some peoples' hands.

Trainman, you know that I also concur with you. The Pace Passenger Notices all say "due to lack of State funding at this time," but Pace has made it clear, not only in the Tribune article on 835 I mentioned a couple of weeks back, but elsewhere, including its proposals for contractor services, that the routes listed for elimination in October are not coming back, period. Remember, I said that whether there was a lack of funding or the restructuring plan was implemented, 831 and 835 were gone in any case. So, the lack of state funding is primarily cover. The real question with regard to Pace bus is whether it will pull the trigger on weekend routes (other than the low performing ones that are definitely dead in October) and the feeders (again other than the ones biting it in October).

The real interesting question is what the reaction to the paratransit fare increases will be, especially since Mayor Daley and CTA divorced themselves of that problem and put it in the RTA's and Pace's lap.

I place blame on the "Democraps!" Thank god I didnt vote for Blago! A combination of many years of bad CTA management, bad decision making and politics, oh yes I dont think the mayor cares either since he only lives 1 mile from his office. All this is to blame for allowing the CTA to fall apart. We dont have a viable transit system anymore, Its a total disgrace!

Politics is right !

If anyone remebers when Huberman 1st got in, he came and "cleaned house". He visited rail and bus garages and let a few "high position managers" go. Problem is he didnt let them go to save money, he let them go so he can put his people in place. From my understanding the firt thing he did was let a gentleman go that was in charge of purchasing parts and in charge of the parts warehouse. He was replaced by a woman that came from the Airport who happened to be in with Huberman. People that were in CTA that came from the state a few years ago were replaced by City of Chicago people. Chicago basically said they want city people and politics to run CTA, and then turn around and ask the state for money to bail them out. Now Daily is looking for an excuse to raise taxes. Just like it happened when they came up with the lottery to bail out the schools in the early 80's. The lottery generates billions of dolars but yet the schools are in trouble. The city wants the boats, raise taxes, have a property transfer tax, increase county tax in 6 countys all to save the CTA. My question is........ if they get their way, and have all these new taxes, generate hundreds of millions of dollars with these new taxes, how long would it be before the city would cry "we are broke again". People dont realize that every year the City cries "budget shortfall, we are short 70 million dollars so we have to raise taxes to balance the city budget and people feel sorry for them and never argue about it. This city is one big money pit. If they had all the money in the world guess what..... the city would still cry "we are broke". Sorry to be so negative, but its just that this city and state constantly throw are money away because they know they have an endless supply of it that comes out of our pockets.

My question is........ if they get their way, and have all these new taxes, generate hundreds of millions of dollars with these new taxes, how long would it be before the city would cry "we are broke again".
I don't know about the city itself (and don't live there) but it would be only a couple of years for the RTA. Currently, it is asking for $400 million per year in new tax authority to fix a supposed $226 million budget problem (supposedly down $38 million after Huberman made his cuts). Two years ago, the budget problem was about $70 million ($54 million for CTA paratransit and estimate some more for Pace). There are new reports that CTA itself is projecting a $250 million deficit for 2008, and it isn't clear whether that is after the round of cuts scheduled for next week.

The Auditor General said that the inherent problem was that CTA costs go up 6% a year, while sales tax receipts go up 2%. Even Metra's expenses go up 4% a year. The Moving Beyond Congestion plan said there should be a sustainable tax source, but the sales tax isn't growing in the manner needed to meet that unchecked level of spending.

The CTA FAQs say:

Why doesn't the City of Chicago contribute to CTA to avoid service cuts?

The CTA is an independent municipal agency created under state law.

However, as you indicate, and all of us know, it has not been run in that manner under the Daley regime, but as an arm of city government. That is why suburbanites are loathe to bail it out, but now others are complaining that the current bill diverts too much money to the suburbs. Maybe there is a reason.

You also don't mention Cook County, which would be off topic, except that it is reported that it also laid off the front line workers while preserving the patronage managers, and also wants tax increases.

Here's what I think, I think that all of the bus routes that are currently in service shuold be here and cutting them off is a complete disgrace to the city of Chicago citizens which live in the most affected areas. I'm totally outraged by all of the service cuts and fare increases and all of this commotion between the CTA and political issues with the Legislators. This just shouldn't be happening. If Doomsday stays in effect for more than a month, the CTA is over completely. The service will go from unacceptable to complete garbage!

There really is no poor route. Every route is inspected by ridership frequently by the CTA. If there really was a bad performing route, then would've been cut by not now, not awaiting the Doomsday plan. Also, all of the newly instated and improved bus routes in the past year or two are really looked at by the CTA as well, and since they're doing well, no proposed cut was mentioned even if Doomsday didn't occur.

There really is no poor route. Every route is inspected by ridership frequently by the CTA. If there really was a bad performing route, then would've been cut by not now, not awaiting the Doomsday plan. Also, all of the newly instated and improved bus routes in the past year or two are really looked at by the CTA as well, and since they're doing well, no proposed cut was mentioned even if Doomsday didn't occur.
That isn't true. You can look at the Ridership Reports. I don't know what the CTA standard is, but for Pace, the minimum productivity is 20, and, as you acknowledged, you had no problem with Pace eliminating low performing routes (so long as it didn't touch any weekend service, which it will), and as trainman and I established, the "lack of state funding at this time" is only a cover for cutting them. According to the June Report, the weekday productivity on the following CTA routes is below 30, and those in bold below 20: 11, 18, X20, 24, X28, 30, 38, 39, 48, 49A, 53AL, X54, 54A, 54B, 55N (probably also includes 55A, not separately reported), 56A, 62H, 63W, 64, X80, 81W, 85A, 86, 90N, 96, 100, 103, 106, 122, 123, 124, 200, 201, 205, 206. (I'm also not counting employer-supported routes.)

One could argue whether cutting these routes deprives persons of service, in violation of the CTA service standards, or whether one accepts the view reported by Channel 2 that some people can just walk 4 or 6 blocks farther. But no one can factually say that CTA doesn't have some weak routes. That is why I am questioning your credentials--BusExpert--because you are frequently factually wrong. That isn't making fun of your screenname. Why don't you tell us the source of your expertise, or is the screenname an oxymoron?

Also, you are factually wrong when you say that "Also, all of the newly instated and improved bus routes in the past year or two are really looked at by the CTA as well, and since they're doing well, no proposed cut was mentioned." By proposing to cut X20, X54, 86, and 127, most of the improvements on the West Side will be eliminated; about the only important one that was saved was X9. As trainman notes, while doing that, CTA did not eliminate the competition with Pace on routes 21 and 90. The doomsday plan also eliminates a good chunk of the improvements resulting from the Rogers Park restructuring. Have you even read the Is my route affected list (which appears to have been copied by Channel 2)?

That isn't true. You can look at the Ridership Reports. I don't know what the CTA standard is, but for Pace, the minimum productivity is 20, and, as you acknowledged, you had no problem with Pace eliminating low performing routes (so long as it didn't touch any weekend service, which it will), and as trainman and I established, the "lack of state funding at this time" is only a cover for cutting them. According to the June Report, the weekday productivity on the following CTA routes is below 30, and those in bold below 20: 11, 18, X20, 24, X28, 30, 38, 39, 48, 49A, 53AL, X54, 54A, 54B, 55N (probably also includes 55A, not separately reported), 56A, 62H, 63W, 64, X80, 81W, 85A, 86, 90N, 96, 100, 103, 106, 122, 123, 124, 200, 201, 205, 206. (I'm also not counting employer-supported routes.)

One could argue whether cutting these routes deprives persons of service, in violation of the CTA service standards, or whether one accepts the view reported by Channel 2 that some people can just walk 4 or 6 blocks farther. But no one can factually say that CTA doesn't have some weak routes. That is why I am questioning your credentials--BusExpert--because you are frequently factually wrong. That isn't making fun of your screenname. Why don't you tell us the source of your expertise, or is the screenname an oxymoron?

Also, you are factually wrong when you say that "Also, all of the newly instated and improved bus routes in the past year or two are really looked at by the CTA as well, and since they're doing well, no proposed cut was mentioned." By proposing to cut X20, X54, 86, and 127, most of the improvements on the West Side will be eliminated; about the only important one that was saved was X9. As trainman notes, while doing that, CTA did not eliminate the competition with Pace on routes 21 and 90. The doomsday plan also eliminates a good chunk of the improvements resulting from the Rogers Park restructuring. Have you even read the Is my route affected list (which appears to have been copied by Channel 2)?

OK, let me refrase my statement. I said there is really no poor route because no route goes onto the streets with zero passengers riding it all. Sure there's a small amount of riders, but there still is some and they may not want to walk 4 to 6 blocks or maybe they don't have time, a phisical disability, or anyhting else that would cause a dilema. I personally think that effecting one person is like effecting every person in Chicago. Maybe you think differently, you probaly don't care about those that will be in desperate need if the service cuts go into place.

Secondly, how about your screen name "Busjack" is that a oxymoron as well. :D

Finally, I was watching Channel 7 and the news at 5 yesterday and one of the top stories was that Governor Blagojevich is proposing a potential one month bail out plan to the CTA. That will give the CTA more breathing room to shape up a better and longer bail out plan. What now, do you think that ABC 7 News is an unreliable source? Why would "Chicago's Number 1 News" be reporting an untrue event as their top stories? Haven't you heard about this?

Listening to all of the rhetoric generated by the guv's "offer" has left me with less faith in the leaders of the CTA than ever before. Let's just say Blago gives the 24 mil, and the RTA rubber stamps (realistically, how can they refuse...it's all show) and the money falls into the CTA coffers. What bothers me the most is that nothing will get done, everything goes back to "normal" and then the finger pointing continues on the state pols. What should be considered here is that whether or not there is a bailout, funding package or whatever, the operation of the company sucks !!!! If things are dire enough to slash everything 30% in one fall swoop, should there not be some sort of cuts or fare increase anyway whether more money is gifted or not. I mean, look at some of what is being cut...it is justfiied. Also, CTA should bail out on any routes that operate in the suburbs and leave it for Pace, and if they don't survive, then cover that area as a bonus, if you have enough business to operate there. Then, reduce service on routes in the city that are not needed, or at least cut service hours. If things improve, then you could bring them back later.

The problem with all of this, is that the Ron and his boys will be out on corners again, as if they were selling Streetwise, begging for money, because they have no clue on how to run a bus company. Can he do the bureaucratic nonsense...yes, with the best of them. And looking at him over the past few weeks...definitely a politician. He has that snide, creepy, sneery look on his face like he is putting one over on someone. To constantly blame this on Springfield is WRONG. I think the CTA, Pace, and Metra boards as well as the useless RTA should all look in the mirror of their respective offices and see who is really to blame for all the shortfalls.

OK, let me refrase [rephrase] my statement. I said there is really no poor route because no route goes onto the streets with zero passengers riding it all. Sure there's a small amount of riders, but there still is some and they may not want to walk 4 to 6 blocks or maybe they don't have time, a phisical [physical] disability, or anyhting [anything] else that would cause a dilema [dilemma]. I personally think that effecting [affecting] one person is like effecting [affecting] every person in Chicago. Maybe you think differently, you probaly [probably] don't care about those that will be in desperate need if the service cuts go into place.

Aside from your spelling, one has to realize that there are not unlimited resources to run a bus with only a few passengers, especially with all the RTA agencies crying that they need $400 million in new tax authority. Apparently it is ok according to you for Pace to cut low performing routes, but CTA is somehow exempt from that scrutiny. I say no. I did leave open the possibility that CTA was violating its service standards by saying that some people can walk 4 or 6 blocks. I don't agree with canceling #93, while keeping the overlaps on the west side with Pace, with CTA telling other riders that they can ride Pace subject to change (instead of the two agencies coordinating their cuts in the overlapping areas). However, since there are only limited resources (I doubt that you took college economics and learned that), and not everyone can dip into the taxpayers' pockets (even though the RTA, municipalities, the county, and the state all want to do so), some priorities and new ideas are needed. Maybe the far northwest and southwest sides would be better served by paratransit than either running a nearly empty 40 foot bus (or occasionally a 30 foot one) or completely cutting their service. The 1997 Booz-Allen report recommended something along those lines, and CTA never implemented that part of it.

Finally, I was watching Channel 7 and the news at 5 yesterday and one of the top stories was that Governor Blagojevich is proposing a potential one month bail out plan to the CTA. That will give the CTA more breathing room to shape up a better and longer bail out plan. What now, do you think that ABC 7 News is an unreliable source? Why would "Chicago's Number 1 News" be reporting an untrue event as their top stories? Haven't you heard about this?

See my reply in post 6048. Apparently, not WGN and WLS-AM were both correct. Especially with the governor not releasing a complete plan, and it only involving borrowing against the future.

One more thing on this, and then I think I'll let it go, cause it just @@##@#'s me off to no end.

First. It still amazes me at how much these knuckleheads cry poverty, then pay for advertising on the radio and in newspapers to beg for money. Again, talk about wasting money they don't have. And they they wonder why I don't support them.

Second. Why is all of this any less than going into a bank with a gun and saying give me your money...complete with hostages. Yes, Ron, TJ, Phil, and all of the so called board members have walked into the State Bank of (called) Springfield, took the public hostage and demanded money. Quite frankly, I think they should be put in jail for 10 years with no chance for parole. I feel fleeced !!!

First. It still amazes me at how much these knuckleheads cry poverty, then pay for advertising on the radio and in newspapers to beg for money. Again, talk about wasting money they don't have. And they they wonder why I don't support them.

The advertising bothered me too. The CTA one I heard started with that the fare hikes and service cuts will start September 16, and while none of us like to do that... At that point it would have been ok if it described alternates or the like, but instead it was another plea to contact your legislator. If the legislators don't know by now.... And you are right, it is using scarce taxpayer or farepayer funds to promote a political agenda.

I also don't understand Metra still running the family fares advertisements.

Second. Why is all of this any less than going into a bank with a gun and saying give me your money...complete with hostages. Yes, Ron, TJ, Phil, and all of the so called board members have walked into the State Bank of (called) Springfield, took the public hostage and demanded money. Quite frankly, I think they should be put in jail for 10 years with no chance for parole. I feel fleeced !!!

I certainly don't care for the Governor, since he can propose a temporary fix but won't negotiate a permanent one. However, he did make the same observation, except demanded a sales tax.

I also don't understand Metra still running the family fares advertisements.

I don't understand the family fares as they are or the weekend pass. When those fares are adjusted or changed, is the time when I will believe Metra truely needs additional state money (or uncle Phil and his brood needs to increase bonusus).

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up a dead topic, but I am starting to get very annoyed by the CTA. Just look at the lastest article on the front page of this website. This is so riduclous! All the CTA is doing is scaring people and making them angry. Now I hope all hell breaks loose in Springfield.

This once again shows why I felt that the pols should have let the agencies make their cuts and go from there. Don't misunderstand me. I don't want public transit to fail. Quite the contrary. If Rod had not provided the temporary fix, the CTA, Pace and Metra all would have had to make their cuts now, and would know where they stand. These agencies should be required to operate within their means. As much as I don't agree with the concept, Pace probably is light years ahead of things when they go to corporations and have them pay for service (UPS, Shuttle Bugs and Subscription service, for example) and also contract out service (Something I really don't believe in...sorry CTA5750). Now a lot of their subscription service has come and gone, because the companies don't want to pay and a ridership, for whatever reason, falls off. But the idea is there and they make it work, to a point.

If the state would have come through with $800 million, the agencies would still be looking for more and more and creating reasons for the need. That is being demonstrated now. The proposal out there is for some $200 million for transit (from casinos), and immediately the smug powers at CTA (Carole Brown and Ron Huberman) say it ain't enough and are imploding the system. I say let them implode, get rid of them, put some transit managers (not politicians) in control and run the system like the business it is, not a political football. If it takes $3 fares to make it work, then that is what it takes. Personally, I don't think $3 fares are necessary. From a Metra standpoint, the only cry for money, is the desire of Phil Pagano to secure his annual bonus he plays out in public he doesn't get (believe me, he does, along with a few of his "retired" cronies who are suddenly overpaid "consultants"). I can't believe that Pace and CTA doesn't have some of these same reasons for constant cries for money.

As long as this game is being played, the threat of meltdown will be there. Now I think some here are beginning to understand where I am coming from. Let it melt. There will be a knight in shining armor somewhere and you will get to where you want to get to, I do believe that. But for all of this nonsense to stop, someone needs some "brass" and say enough is enough...meltdown, and then we'll talk. I think this is a time when closing the barn door after the horses are out may not be a bad thing.

This once again shows why I felt that the pols should have let the agencies make their cuts and go from there. Don't misunderstand me. I don't want public transit to fail. Quite the contrary. If Rod had not provided the temporary fix, the CTA, Pace and Metra all would have had to make their cuts now, and would know where they stand. These agencies should be required to operate within their means. As much as I don't agree with the concept, Pace probably is light years ahead of things when they go to corporations and have them pay for service (UPS, Shuttle Bugs and Subscription service, for example) and also contract out service (Something I really don't believe in...sorry CTA5750). Now a lot of their subscription service has come and gone, because the companies don't want to pay and a ridership, for whatever reason, falls off. But the idea is there and they make it work, to a point.

If the state would have come through with $800 million, the agencies would still be looking for more and more and creating reasons for the need. That is being demonstrated now. The proposal out there is for some $200 million for transit (from casinos), and immediately the smug powers at CTA (Carole Brown and Ron Huberman) say it ain't enough and are imploding the system. I say let them implode, get rid of them, put some transit managers (not politicians) in control and run the system like the business it is, not a political football. If it takes $3 fares to make it work, then that is what it takes. Personally, I don't think $3 fares are necessary. From a Metra standpoint, the only cry for money, is the desire of Phil Pagano to secure his annual bonus he plays out in public he doesn't get (believe me, he does, along with a few of his "retired" cronies who are suddenly overpaid "consultants"). I can't believe that Pace and CTA doesn't have some of these same reasons for constant cries for money.

As long as this game is being played, the threat of meltdown will be there. Now I think some here are beginning to understand where I am coming from. Let it melt. There will be a knight in shining armor somewhere and you will get to where you want to get to, I do believe that. But for all of this nonsense to stop, someone needs some "brass" and say enough is enough...meltdown, and then we'll talk. I think this is a time when closing the barn door after the horses are out may not be a bad thing.

I agree with everything you said, Trainman, and yes, I am starting to understand your point of view.

Reading the ads about the cuts. It sounds to me CTA actually does have the money. They are just complaining that they are NOT getting the same amount as the other transit companies. As the old saying goes "Let the baby have it's bottle".

Well, let's take a real look at what we' re talking about. CTA generates its revenue from fares and state funding. First when the money is given by the state, RTA gets it. Second, everyday I hear passengers complain about CTA this and CTA that. Everybody wants topnotch service but don't want to pay for it. You want new buses, but where do you think that money comes from. Before you Think we have the money find out first. No one has taken into consideration that CTA pays bills just like every other company in Chicago. Has anyone considered that Fuel costs have risen astronomically in the past 4 years. Has anyone factored in the increases in service and routes means more employees or current employees to operate those buses and trains on those routes. What about inflation? That's like asking City of chicago to operate on the budget they had in 1983. Thats absurd, but the people of Chicago want the CTA to do it. That's not fair. Instead of blaming the people at CTA, blame the people in political office who DON"T TAKE THE BUS, so why should they care about how you get to work, school, or anywhere else.

...That's not fair. Instead of blaming the people at CTA, blame the people in political office who DON"T TAKE THE BUS, so why should they care about how you get to work, school, or anywhere else.

The reason people blame the people at CTA is that they are the ones who really created their own mess by operating outside of their means. These cuts should have been done a long time ago. There are many buses out there that should not be. The problem there as I have said time and time again is that as long as the politicos run the ship it is going to sink. In as much as the CTA has had money problems for all of my 47 years of life, when the agency was run by those with transit experience, they fared much better. Buses ran every 10 minutes and trains ran every 3-5. Now try and find a train in the subway during rush hour, or a bus when you need it. The worst thing ever to happen was when Pace won their lawsuit to allow them to use capital funds for operations, against the wishes of the bodies that gave them their money. CTA followed suit. Now, neither one has funds for capital nor operations. Metra will find themselves in the same pickle in 2009 if they follow through on their "threat" to do the same. Had all the service boards abided by the "rule" that kept capital funds for capital projects, a lot of the problems you see now would not be as severe. These were politicos with these ingenious ideas..they had nor have any knowhow on what they are doing and it shows. Now keep in mind, I am not pinning my distaste for all of this with those who are out there day in and day out, and I am beginning to wonder if a lot of what Huberman is doing is nothing more than trying to bust the union. You are hearing more and more about layoffs than actual service cuts. If he can bust the union and revamp the pay scale I would think he could come up with a ton of money. Do I think that is where the problem is...heck no !!!! I am all for bringing back conductors on trains for Pete's sake. But you can bet you will be hearing soon that labor and benefits are more the problem than high fuel costs...and when it is all over, watch management get golden parachutes and big big bonuses.

As for funding, no one has still explained to me how gas prices can go up so much, which should increase the tax revenue brought in (since it is a percentage) therefore the percentage that goes to transit. This should have at least, of nothing else, covered any increase in cost of fuel...yet somehow, that money is unaccounted for !!! If there is a problem on the government side, that would be it.

As for why would a politico who doesn't take the bus care about anyone getting to work ??? Simple...there will be an election....someday.

While I mostly agree with trainman, a couple of dissenting points.

• Both trainman and operateall reflect people who work for various service boards. For instance, I don't agree that Pace should not be contracting out. While certain heavy routes need full time drivers, rush hour feeders do not. Experimental services, such as the Shuttle Bug, were started with contract van operators. There was some debate on other forums whether the operators were contractors of Pace or the TMC, but, in any event, buses (first 2500s, then some Orions) were not put on the routes until they proved successful. Personally, I can't see how Pace can directly run something like route 636 on an experimental basis for a couple of years and then drop it, instead of letting contractors assume the risk, unless there is a huge extra board or attrition.
  • Yesterday's RedEye article, by indicating that Huberman is trying to apply management methods to bus bunching and dirt, reinforces in my mind that Kruesi was incompetent. There are apparently ways to fix some of the CTA's problems internally without bowing to CTA apologists on Ask Carole, who say such things as bus bunching is good. Many of you noticed the "polished floors." This manifest incompetence is why people are not volunteering to pay increased taxes.
  • I also doubt that Huberman is trying to break the unions, in that he was able to obtain a contract settlement (although contingent on "funding"), while Kruesi never could.

None of this, of course, changes my opinion that the RTA and the service boards should be abolished, because they have consistently violated the RTA and MTA Act, or that most state officers should be recalled for not doing their jobs, or that Stroger and the RTA are just piling onto the taxpayers (at least I'm not subject to Daley's increases, too), while doing very little to run an efficient operation. The Auditor General's report reflected that CTA expenses are going up 6% a year while tax growth has been going up 2%. Since the sales tax is a fair barometer of inflation and real growth, neither the RTA's nor Todd's reliance on it will result in any more than a short term fix, so long as spending continues to outstrip inflation.

Finally, the service boards must believe that there will be some "white knight." I ask again...why is Pace receiving more new buses now (since pace2322's report is credible), if the Doomsday plan coming in three weeks means that it will need maybe 100 fewer buses? Maybe all need a dose of reality like they got in 1983. However, as I previously said, we probably will get the new taxes without any real reform.