Numbers

trainman8119

Why is it when a bus has been rehabbed, or at least repainted, the type of number used changes ?? Since the new white and blue paint scheme has emerged, buses have had a bold and very clear solid blue numbering. I think this enhances the look of the bus. But when these buses have been either rehabbed (4400 or 6000 series) or repainted, the graphic changes to a thinner, sometimes italic graphic and even sometimes smaller number painted on which can be hard to read. What gives ???

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. There are a lot of Flxible Metros(6000,6100 Series) that still have the bold numbering. Also, the New Flyers still have this type of numbering on most of their buses. But, the question I have to ask is about buses 5862,5863, and 5864. Are these the former Hydrogen buses used by the CTA? I notice that most New Flyers have a large silver exaust pipe in the upper left corner of the rear of the bus. These three buses, however, have a small exaust pipe with a cover over it like the Flxible Metro (6000) series have. Also, the engines sound a little bit different then the rest of the fleet, especially when in idle. They kinda sound like a NOVABus in idle.

5862-64 have different engines/transmissions. They may be Cummins, but I wouldn't know off the top of my head. Its like the 5740-64 series, and the 6305-6328 Flxibles with different transmissions as well.

The hydrogen numbers, I believe, were in the low 5900's, and were only used for a limited amount of time. I don't know about their engine types however.

I will agree that many of the 6000-6100 and 5800 series buses still have the bold numbering...it is when they come back from the rehab and/or painting that the graphic changes in most cases to the thinner, smaller number. I also noticed this on a few, but not many Novas (generally 6400's from 77th street).

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...