Talks are like old CTA buses... breaking down.

sw4400

The governor has a secret stash of money? Where is it? Tell him to give the rest to CTA, METRA and Pace.
The only quibble I have with the preceding post is that the governor found secret stashes two times before (mid September and Nov. 1), so at this point I wouldn't be shocked if he had a third.

As they used to say on a wrestling show (way before your time and I know you felt that other wresting references were off scope): "Anything can happen and probably will."

The only quibble I have with the preceding post is that the governor found secret stashes two times before (mid September and Nov. 1), so at this point I wouldn't be shocked if he had a third.

If the Governor had a secret stash again, he would be giving the money to CTA, METRA and Pace by now, but it's not hard to detect that's not happening.

He always waits until the Wednesday or Thursday before the next announced doomsday. So, you may have to wait until January 17, although the union contract issue will hit the fan before then.

I personally think he should give the money right now, but I guess we'll have to wait. I agree that the union issue will break loose before January 17.

But if that's the situation, they are going to have to find some other way to salvage the contract/pension deal. Looks like the taxpayers will get it in the rear, in any case. Also, I hope the House likes sitting in Springfield. This time I am behind the call for special sessions, since they should have got this done May 31, 2007, and, as previously noted, apparently had no intention to make good on the promise to settle the capital bill, and open the way to reaching the transit bill, two weeks ago.

I'm sure BusExpert has the inside information. Was he sitting next to Blago and John McDonough at the Blackhawks game? Without that kind of source, your gloating is purely fortuitous (a word that was debated on Milt Rosenberg's radio program last night).

Also, if you look at Capitol Fax Thursday, Nov 29, 2007, 11:29 am, they are now hedging. They don't know either.

Busjack, I was only reffering back to your past joke about me and the governor coming to the rescue to stop November 4th's Doomsday. But I'm also sorry to disappoint you guys (Busjack and Buslover), but I don't work in the legislature. But you can say that I'm either a great gambler or just a guy who knows his facts straight. And look, before November 4th's Doomsday I made a prediction about the governor having another scret stash of money to save CTA, Pace, and Metra from Doomsday just because he had done it as well before September 16. I don't mind that you're joking around, but I'm just telling you, I don't work for the legislature.

Busjack, I was only reffering back to your past joke about me and the governor coming to the rescue to stop November 4th's Doomsday. But I'm also sorry to disappoint you guys (Busjack and Buslover), but I don't work in the legislature. But you can say that I'm either a great gambler or just a guy who knows his facts straight. And look, before November 4th's Doomsday I made a prediction about the governor having another scret stash of money to save CTA, Pace, and Metra from Doomsday just because he had done it as well before September 16. I don't mind that you're joking around, but I'm just telling you, I don't work for the legislature.

I apologize if I said anything offending about you. I'm sorry. Anyway, I am now uncertain about this whole Doomsday thing.

... I'm glad to hear that CTA will not strike yet, but that would be awful if CTA workers did the "blue flu".
Putting it back into the CTA topic, the head of Local 308 again made his threat, which sounded like the blue flu, apparently under Mayor Daley's auspices, although Huberman was also quoted as saying he wouldn't tolerate a job action. I saw it on Channel 11, but here's a Channel 7 link.

Apparently, as far as the union is concerned, next year isn't good enough. As previously mentioned, the legislative leaders promised a solution by two weeks ago, and the various extensions just enable them to not address the issue.

Putting it back into the CTA topic, the head of Local 308 again made his threat, which sounded like the blue flu, apparently under Mayor Daley's auspices, although Huberman was also quoted as saying he wouldn't tolerate a job action. I saw it on Channel 11, but here's a Channel 7 link.

Apparently, as far as the union is concerned, next year isn't good enough. As previously mentioned, the legislative leaders promised a solution by two weeks ago, and the various extensions just enable them to not address the issue.

Of course Daley and Huberman would not "tolerate" a job action...if they said anything else, they would alienate people more than they have already. They may not like it...will not "tolerate" it, but then, what are they going to do...fire the entire employee roster...I doubt it. And, I would bet lunch on it that privately, Huberman and Daley would cherish some kind of action to go with other grandstand tactics they have proposed in the past to prove their point.

As for the union and next year not being good enough....remember, their contract offer is on the table until December 31. After that, all bets are off. It would be kind of cute for the CTA to get money, then have the operators go out in a contract dispute.

Of course Daley and Huberman would not "tolerate" a job action...if they said anything else, they would alienate people more than they have already. ... And, I would bet lunch on it that privately, Huberman and Daley would cherish some kind of action to go with other grandstand tactics they have proposed in the past to prove their point.
I agree more with the second sentence than the first. Both the RTA and Daley provided the union with a platform, and are using the union president. As far as I could tell Huberman was the only one threatening discipline, and he certainly wouldn't have a choice about what he said in that regard.

I'm glad to hear that CTA will not strike yet, but that would be awful if CTA workers did the "blue flu".
From what was reported in the Tribune, to which there is a link on the home page, you will have the job action on Monday. As I previously indicated with regard to the Pace NW strike, my review of the Illinois Public Relations Act indicates that a transit strike would not violate it, and thus the Tribune is wrong (as usual when it comes to either legal or transit matters) in saying that the strike would be illegal (essential is defined in the Act as policemen, firefighters, and paramedics; otherwise a court may enjoin the employees whose services are essential to protect public health and safety from striking, and I doubt that includes transit workers). Not having seen the labor contract, I can't speak as to whether a strike would violate it.

From what was reported in the Tribune, to which there is a link on the home page, you will have the job action on Monday. As I previously indicated with regard to the Pace NW strike, my review of the Illinois Public Relations Act indicates that a transit strike would not violate it, and thus the Tribune is wrong (as usual when it comes to either legal or transit matters) in saying that the strike would be illegal (essential is defined in the Act as policemen, firefighters, and paramedics; otherwise a court may enjoin the employees whose services are essential to protect public health and safety from striking, and I doubt that includes transit workers). Not having seen the labor contract, I can't speak as to whether a strike would violate it.

I agree that this is not illegal. If this was a wildcat (strike with no notice), that would be illegal and it is possible that is something that could be in the contract. However, since notice is being given, wildcat would not apply. This really sounds like nothing more that blue flu, but organized. The question is, will they have the guts to go through with it like Pace NW did. Also, I wish this was directed more at CTA management rather than State lawmakers, since they are the ones who cant manage the company. If this was an airline, they would have been in bankruptcy a long time ago.