Pace 800 Routes

pace

Mostly paratransit vehicles. There are apparently 3 2600s in McHenry County according to the Pace budget, and I have seen two there (2697 and 2698) and presume that 2696 is also there. However, as previously noted, I saw them away from those routes, and the couple of times I was in Crystal Lake or McHenry, the routes were being run with paratransits (5500s or 5800s). See posts 6268 and 6427.

Following various links from Sick Transit Chicago to Capitol Fax, Cal Skinner had a picture on the latter of an older Orion I. When I cruised by the garage there, there were a couple. However, since the garage door windows are near the windshields, I could not see the fleet numbers.

I was somewhat frustrated last night in not finding what I wanted on Capitol Fax, but Googling reminded me that it linked to McHenry County Blog. The original post I saw was here, showing an unidentified Orion. The characterized ones, such as the page on the RTA, show 8901. Search each page for "Bull Valley."

Thus, there are probably a couple of 8900s up at McHenry. However, if you look at the one at the Metra crossing, there is a paratransit vehicle going the other way.

There is also on the RTA page a picture of a 2600. I can't definitely confirm the number because there isn't one on the front (and the ad board on the bike rack hides the license plate; is that illegal), but, again, blowing it up in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, I could be convinced that it is 2697.

• 7 years later...

Finally found a relevant topic:

Pace has a press release for a route 809 feeder between Richmond and Fox Lake, the funding impetus being ICE. According to the description, it will be operated by First Transit McHenry, so I assume with paratransit vehicles.

Bringing back the old 800 (or 800A) from the early 80's.

• 1 year later...

I've got my Metra pass, I'm temporarily unemployed, and it's supposed to rain all day. Nothing to do but go for a joyride on the transit system. I've always wondered about the McHenry County routes so I decided to finally check them out for myself. And I somehow managed to stay dry the whole time.

It was raining lightly when I arrived at Crystal Lake on the UPNW at 1:55 PM. I found a bus stop sign on the south side of the station that said "MCRide", so I assumed that was also the stop for 550, 806, and 808. I waited under the station overhang until I saw 5462 pull up to the stop. Of course it started raining harder as soon as I started to walk to the bus, so I ran over there and jumped on as soon as the doors opened. There was a passenger in a wheelchair waiting in the gazebo nearby, and the driver shouted to him to stay there for a few minutes in hopes that the rain would slow down. In the meantime he taped a sign to the window with the route number and name. It was still pouring when the 2:05 departure time came, and both the driver and passenger got soaked while operating the lift.

IMG_6314.JPG

The bus left Crystal Lake station with 4 passengers including myself, picked up 3 more at McHenry County College, and another at Centegra Hospital for a total of 8. Three of them got off at separate local stops in Woodstock. I told the driver I was getting off at Marian Central High School to transfer to 807. He said he would call on the radio to let the 807 driver know. After a brief conversation he opened the door again to tell me the bus would be there soon. I was thankful for the confirmation even though the rain had mostly stopped. Before he could even drive off, 5354 pulled up behind him.

5354's Ventra reader was missing, it only had the black plastic backing attached to the pole. There was no one else on this bus. I told the driver I was going to McHenry and he said he was going to Woodstock station first, then coming back. I thought that was an odd thing to say until I looked at the time - 2:50 - and realized what happened. Thanks to the 808 being delayed by the torrential rain, I had missed the eastbound bus I had wanted to catch by 3 minutes. The bus I was on now was the westbound running 10 minutes late.

IMG_6315edit2.jpg

At Woodstock station, two people who had just gotten off the train boarded the bus. When we left at 3:08, it had started raining again. One passenger got off after only going about a mile while the other continued on to McHenry.

The bus I was on was due at McHenry station at 3:40. I had originally intended to get on the southbound 806 at 3:37, but I figured I would have to wait for the next bus at 4:35 because of the earlier delay. The rain had slowed down to a drizzle so I thought I would walk to a nearby Jewel store to kill some time. I ended up walking only a few hundred feet when around the corner came 5708 on the 806, so I flagged it down. The one passenger on board got off where I did. I looked at the time again and saw the 807 had arrived 4 minutes early, so I was actually back on schedule. This bus didn't have a Ventra reader either, not even the backing like 5354 had. I wonder if many paratransits up there are missing their Ventra readers or if I just happened to win the free ride lottery twice in a row. I suppose not all vehicles are equipped for fixed route service, since Dial-a-ride doesn't accept Ventra.

One passenger got on at Pioneer Center, and two more boarded in Crystal Lake. I got off back where I had started at the Metra station.

IMG_6317edit.jpg

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

• Upvote 1