Blue "Generic" Bus Stops

jesi2282

What do you mean "generic" bus stops? You mean like the ones that were blank, and then CTA would put a sticker on for each route that stops there? If you do, then I think the 92/93 westbound bus stop in front of NP might be one. Also, if that's what you mean, then I have one. When the workers were taking the sign down at the Ravenswood/Wilson layover point, I got it. It's really old, and the 135 and 145 are written in white and surrounded by a red box.

• 3 months later...

#81 Lawrence @ right by the Lawrence Red Line Station at Lawrence/Broadway.

Rode 47 47th bus for fun today :blink:, and as a beginning of the many trips I'm making to remember the Flxibles 6000s, and at 47th and Kildare there's one, it's the westbound stop.

Rode 47 47th bus for fun today :blink:, and as a beginning of the many trips I'm making to remember the Flxibles 6000s, and at 47th and Kildare there's one, it's the westbound stop.

Just noticed that one myself a few days ago.

I dug up some additional information on these "generic" bus stop signs from a post by Andre Kristopans in 2003 from the archives of the CHICAGOTRANSIT Yahoo! mailing list:

The "blue generic" sign you speak of is called a "TP-35". It is intended to be a temporary sign when the correct one is out of stock. It is the 3rd generation of these "temporaries". The original ones were about half the normal size, white lettering "bus stop" and CTA logo on a green background, and dated from the late 50's, type "TP-291". About 1969 a new version was made, the first "TP-35". These were standard size blanks, white with green "bus stop" and old CTA logo in the center. Then about 1975 they went to the blue, but with the standard Helvetica "cta" in the center. Then about 1982 or so they changed to the "flying CTA" in the center. These, like all CTA bus stop signs since the mid-60's, were made at South Shops.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Milwaukee and Belle Plaine Ave. [4100 N.]

NB #56 Milwaukee has the white on blue "cta bus stop" sign. SB #56 Milwaukee has the otherwise regulation white with blue bands across the top & bottom but with a depiction of the front end of a bus in the white area where the map and routing would otherwise appear.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
And on Monday I just "discovered" one I hadn't noticed before -- there's one on the northeast corner of Sheridan and Bryn Mawr. I thought it was a #84 stop, but it didn't have any routes listed on it. And the 84 bus did NOT stop there.
It would be a routes #136, #147, & #151 stop. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I found another one while spending some time in Little Village.

34th & Pulaski right in front of front of the giant power plant.

Are these signs used as temporary ones when an old sign needs to be replaced or has been stolen?

• 2 months later...

I found another one while spending some time in Little Village.

34th & Pulaski right in front of front of the giant power plant.

Are these signs used as temporary ones when an old sign needs to be replaced or has been stolen?

Perhaps it temporarily replaces a 53 sign I remember being there instead of a 53A one.

• 1 month later...

I found another one when doing some photography around Archer Heights. It's at 47th/Kildare right by that new UNO Charter school. I happened to catch a Flexible 6000 along route 47 there. It was like a trip back through time. An old bus stop sign and an old bus.