Metra Car Order May Be Delayed

trainman8119

Today's Sun Times (8-2-05) tells the story of a possible (probable) delay in the additional new car order for the Electric District.

Here is the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nw...ws-metra02.html

Things like this drive me crazy. Our government officials will attempt to impose something silly like making it mandatory that Metra allow bicyles, which serves only a select few and makes it difficult for a few more. But when it comes to something that would benefit a greater majority, everybody disappears. Time to make the $$ available and get the job done.

Should have the powers that be at Metra maybe scaled back the numbers of cars for diesel lines and included a few more for the Electric ??? Tough call...the BN and UP cars are older, but the Electric cars are just a bit more beat up.

The problem is that there isn't a dedicated tax source sufficient to cover continuing capital needs, instead of a particular bond issue. For instance, the fee on license plates was raised to cover Illinois First, but that bond money is spent. Given the resistance at that time ("George Ryan broke his promise not to raise taxes," like his word was ever any good), the continued resistance to general tax hikes, and the corruption in city, county, and state government convincing the taxpayers that what is now paid is wasted, I doubt that anything will happen until a groundswell is created by, for instance, saying that the increase in federal funds will be lost unless matching funds are found.

I see your point, but I find it remarkable that the money is originally there to make the order, or at least the option, then it suddenly disappears. Who has the mud on their face. The Metra wannabees or the pols who promised the $$ and then lost it.

Maybe if Metra had a better timetable in their capital projects, they might have some money for other projects. North Central was supposed to be done by now. It takes them 18 months to complete a new station (Schaumburg)....gosh stadiums get built faster. And some of the platform rebuilding is a joke (check out how long Elmwood Park has been in rehab..it took almost 2 years to redo a 400 ft platform at Mars, a station that is used 6 times a day !!!!).

I think the whole point of options is that the money isn't there yet. For instance, with regard to the CTA New Flyer order, the announcement said that 265 buses were firm, but that the 785 or so options were contingent on CTA getting the capital funding. Similarly, in the Metra case, Sumitomo said that the price would be firm if the order goes through by September, but if not, the option lapses and the contract has to be rebid. Metra is waiting for the state legislature to authorize new bond money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...