Fare Increase/Weekend Tix

trainman8119

Man am I confused. Metra has gone out of their way to make all aware of the fare increase that took effect yesterday. However, it seems as though the weekend has been severely overlooked. On the "On the Bilevel" flyer that has been distributed on trains, it is noted on the rear that the weekend tix will be $7 for unlimited rides on Saturday...$7 for unlimited rides on Sunday. However, there is nothing noted about this on any of the fare charts, the web site still shows weekend tickets at $5 for the entire weekend, and weekend tickets are printed like they always have been, with each weekend Saturday/Sunday date printed (not individually) with no way to distingish Saturday from Sunday. Add to that , no fare notice bulletin has been distributed advising of any weekend fare change.

I work for this goofy outfit, yet I don't know. I am glad I am off this weekend !!! Anybody out there know if the weekend fares were actually increased or is it status quo (ie. the daily (monthly) ticket holder gets screwed again).

The on train announcements over the last few weeks clearly said that the $5 weekend fare would be retained during February with the new $7 weekend day fare starting in March. In reality the increase was announced so soon to the start date that the February dated tickets (monthly and weekend) were already printed. I guess they decided to use the February weekend tickets at the old price rather than rush printing new single day tickets (at higher rush cost!) or confusing the riders that the new price had all weekend availability. The February monthly tickets bought at a station still show the old price in the top right hand corner - My E one shows 10530 and not 11610. So must have been printed before the increase was announced.

Man am I confused. Metra has gone out of their way to make all aware of the fare increase that took effect yesterday. However, it seems as though the weekend has been severely overlooked. On the "On the Bilevel" flyer that has been distributed on trains, it is noted on the rear that the weekend tix will be $7 for unlimited rides on Saturday...$7 for unlimited rides on Sunday. However, there is nothing noted about this on any of the fare charts, the web site still shows weekend tickets at $5 for the entire weekend, and weekend tickets are printed like they always have been, with each weekend Saturday/Sunday date printed (not individually) with no way to distingish Saturday from Sunday. Add to that , no fare notice bulletin has been distributed advising of any weekend fare change.

I work for this goofy outfit, yet I don't know. I am glad I am off this weekend !!! Anybody out there know if the weekend fares were actually increased or is it status quo (ie. the daily (monthly) ticket holder gets screwed again).

The on train announcements over the last few weeks clearly said that the $5 weekend fare would be retained during February with the new $7 weekend day fare starting in March.

Funny an announcement was even made. I never heard an automated announcement and there was never any bulleting telling us to make an announcement regarding the weekend. The only part of the announcement required to be made was that monthly tix would be sold at the new rate and daily and 10 ride tix would be sold at the old rate through Jan 31. They should have raised everything at once and suffered the cost consequences, if they were in such a hurry to raise fares.

Also, I wonder if you would have a claim for the difference if you have a ticket printed at the old rate. Busjack, whaddya think ???

Also, I wonder if you would have a claim for the difference if you have a ticket printed at the old rate. Busjack, whaddya think ???
I don't work there, you do.

However, the news media announced that single and 10 ride Metra tickets would remain good for a year, as printed on them. On the other hand, since the weekend ones have a particular date printed on them, one would assume that they were only good for the dates indicated.

I once lived somewhere else, where, on the date of a fare increase, the transit authority announced that the fare increase would have to be paid in cash, even though you had a valid 10-ride bus ticket. I paid the 10 or 20 cent increase per ride in pennies, and someone said "what are trying to do, make a point by breaking the front axle?"

They also had a policy of accepting a local monthly pass for a suburban ride, but you had to pay the difference in cash. This became relevant when the employer became part of the transit benefit program, but now would not be relevant, as the transit authority abolished both transfers and suburban fares.

Basically, then, the legal issue is what is printed on the ticket. Similar to the "forever" postage stamp.

However, the news media announced that single and 10 ride Metra tickets would remain good for a year, as printed on them. On the other hand, since the weekend ones have a particular date printed on them, one would assume that they were only good for the dates indicated.

Basically, then, the legal issue is what is printed on the ticket. Similar to the "forever" postage stamp.

You are correct on the tix being valid for a year and weekend tix being good for single dates. However I was wondering about the legality of printing a ticket with a value on it and selling it for more. Seems like Metra is "scalping" their own tickets (which I guess would mean if the Cubs could do it, so could they).

You are correct on the tix being valid for a year and weekend tix being good for single dates. However I was wondering about the legality of printing a ticket with a value on it and selling it for more. Seems like Metra is "scalping" their own tickets (which I guess would mean if the Cubs could do it, so could they).
Could you give an example? If I remember correctly, an E ticket just says E and the agent stamps the date on it; it doesn't have a face value. The weekend tickets act as a receipt, and since they say $5.00, and the contract on them says that they are good for the weekend, I would suppose that a conductor would have to black both out before issuing it for $7 for one day. I suppose that you don't have the authority to take $4.30 for an E ticket on the train, and then punch a receipt for $3.90.

As far as what Metra actually charges for a ride, it has the power to set its own tariffs.

Could you give an example? If I remember correctly, an E ticket just says E and the agent stamps the date on it; it doesn't have a face value. The weekend tickets act as a receipt, and since they say $5.00, and the contract on them says that they are good for the weekend, I would suppose that a conductor would have to black both out before issuing it for $7 for one day. I suppose that you don't have the authority to take $4.30 for an E ticket on the train, and then punch a receipt for $3.90.

As far as what Metra actually charges for a ride, it has the power to set its own tariffs.

All correct. Busfan stated the following though...

The February monthly tickets bought at a station still show the old price in the top right hand corner - My E one shows 10530 and not 11610. So must have been printed before the increase was announced.

So, does that not mean the "receipt" for the ticket shows 105.30 and not actually 116.10 and would that not put Metra in scalping territory.

So, does that not mean the "receipt" for the ticket shows 105.30 and not actually 116.10 and would that not put Metra in scalping territory.

The number in the top right corner of a monthly boutght at a station is a five digit number which corresponds to the fare but does not have the dollar sign or decimal point . If you need a receipt for your ticket the agent will write you one out. I doubt that you could argue that Metra is scalping!

I didn't know what the Code meant. Probably means that most other customers didn't either. Since the current fare table says $116.10, it was announced that the monthly tickets were going up Feb. 1, a Feb 2008 ticket is only good that month, and there is no contract language saying that it was a $105.30 ticket, there doesn't seem to be a problem in an agent selling it at the price stated in the fare table. I wouldn't equate a code for the agent's benefit to be the equivalent of a face value (such as putting $20 on a Transit Card).

Funny an announcement was even made. I never heard an automated announcement and there was never any bulleting telling us to make an announcement regarding the weekend. The only part of the announcement required to be made was that monthly tix would be sold at the new rate and daily and 10 ride tix would be sold at the old rate through Jan 31. They should have raised everything at once and suffered the cost consequences, if they were in such a hurry to raise fares.

It was not an automated announcement, it was made by the on-train staff (UP-NW) the announcement informed the passengers of the 10% increase from 1st Feb, that tickets bought up to 1/31 would be at the old rate except for February monthlies, and that the weekend fare would be changing but would remain at $5 during February. The On The Bi-Level announcing the fares is the only indication that the weekend fare has increased to $7/day. The OTB also states "expect to hear announcements on your train this week as a reminder". The decision to use up the February weekend tickets at the old price must have been made after the fare hike was agreed and before they started the announcements.