Rockford Bus....

M. Bernero's bus pics of RMTD are excellent. I cant believe Rockford had GMC 40 footers.

Not according to that roster. The 4519s and 4523s were 35 foot buses (the Pace pumpkin buses were also 4523s). The 40 foot buses were 530Xs.

That will not be a problem!. My next trip to Rockford Ill get some pics. Although being only 30ft long, they do tend to run the Gilligs on the East State route since it runs through busy shopping areas on the East side of Rockford. Before the NABIs were placed in service in 2007 the E. State route ran Gilligs, Flxibles, New Flyers, or Neoplan AN430s assigned. The twenty NABIs delivered, replaced four Flxible 35ft Metros and fifteen Neoplan AN430s in RMTDs fleet. RMTD is a 40 bus fleet. Im predicting RMTD in 2010 will replace the Gilligs with New Flyers or newer Gilligs such as the 35ft buses in service in Beloit, Wis. I wouldnt think they would order Optimas. RMTD seems to buy heavy duty, more familiar brands. Their fleet numbers will be #1000s since RMTD numbers their buses according to the year theyre delivered.

I appreciate it :) It's nice to see what some of the smaller systems have.

I appreciate it :) It's nice to see what some of the smaller systems have.

A while back I didnt really pay much attention to the smaller transit systems, now I see what Ive been missing! :) Rockford for some reason certainly has my attention. I like the concept of smaller size transit buses working in rural towns. A big difference from CTA.

• 7 months later...

Ok this is old MetroLINK9013 forgot my password so created a new screename.

Anyhoo....

Update for Rockford

All1999 gillig phantoms have been retired and replaced by 12 Gillig LF35ft 0901-0912.

MetroLINK in Rock Island Purchased 2 Phantoms 99XX and 9908 for expansion.

The remaining 9 phantoms (remember 9905 burned 2 years ago) may be sold to other various properties in Illinois, Ill keep you posted if any news comes about.

James Roach

AM General 4305

• Upvote 1

Ok this is old MetroLINK9013 forgot my password so created a new screename.

Anyhoo....

Update for Rockford

All1999 gillig phantoms have been retired and replaced by 12 Gillig LF35ft 0901-0912.

MetroLINK in Rock Island Purchased 2 Phantoms 99XX and 9908 for expansion.

The remaining 9 phantoms (remember 9905 burned 2 years ago) may be sold to other various properties in Illinois, Ill keep you posted if any news comes about.

James Roach

AM General 4305

Looking at the pics, I'm surprised the 99 Gilligs were retired already, but I guess they would've hit 11 years old this year. They looked like they are in great shape. Some of those Gilligs are exactly the same as those in Fort Wayne's system, which are still hanging tough despite a lot of new buses in recent years.

Looking at the pics, I'm surprised the 99 Gilligs were retired already, but I guess they would've hit 11 years old this year. They looked like they are in great shape. Some of those Gilligs are exactly the same as those in Fort Wayne's system, which are still hanging tough despite a lot of new buses in recent years.

With most of Rockford's routes being as short as they are, also the buses dont get too beaten up. RMTD buses always seem to stay looking in good condition, even the Flxibles they retired not too long ago still looked good considering they were 1991 buses. Cant wait to see those new buses.

I was able to get photos of the ex RMTD Gilligs in Rock Island. Buses 9908, and 9912 are set to be used as expansion vehicles. Both vehicles are awaiting service.

Those buses appear to be in great shape. I wonder why more bus companies don't do that, especially Pace. Those are good used buses that honestly could be used on contractor routes in Naperville, Lisle, Westmont, and Glen Ellyn.

Those buses appear to be in great shape. I wonder why more bus companies don't do that, especially Pace. Those are good used buses that honestly could be used on contractor routes in Naperville, Lisle, Westmont, and Glen Ellyn.

I agree with your statement. Im know some of us have been to Pace South Holland and see some of the buses that have been retired, most look like theyre in excellent shape, they can still see a couple more years of service. With regards to Rockford, as I stated before, RMTD's buses look well taken care of. I wouldnt be surprised to see them in service in other cities after retirement.

I agree with your statement. Im know some of us have been to Pace South Holland and see some of the buses that have been retired, most look like theyre in excellent shape, they can still see a couple more years of service. With regards to Rockford, as I stated before, RMTD's buses look well taken care of. I wouldnt be surprised to see them in service in other cities after retirement.

All of the RMTD buses look very similiar to Citilink buses in Ft Wayne. Next time I go there as I usually go every 3 mos for family, I'll take some pictures of the current fleet. They have 14 1998 Gilligs that probably will go bye-bye from their system this year (will also confirm that). 4 of them are 30 footers and the rest are 35 footers. These buses don't have a speck of rust, everything is in working order inside and out, and as of late have been used much lighter than normal due to the newer buses they have. I promise you, these buses aint going for scrap, they'll be sold to an agency that needs to replace their buses from probably the late 80s or early 90s now, get them repainted and put them in service. This is why Pace could benefit from these buses as Citilink's buses are already painted royal blue just like Pace's newer buses so they wouldn't need to do much painting work. 14 buses on contractor routes would no question take out the rest of the 93 Orions at Westmont and even send some Nabis elsewhere and these buses could last at least 3-5 more years with the lighter work at Westmont. Then take the stimulus buses Busjack mentioned and put them on lighter all day routes (the Eldos anyway).

Getting back to RMTD, I wonder what they are gonna do with the bus wrap in red. It's harder to take wraps off buses with sliding windows.

***UPDATE*** I just looked at that pic again, my bad. It doesn't have sliding windows. But you know a paint job will be in order before they'll get put in service at Rock Island.

All of the RMTD buses look very similiar to Citilink buses in Ft Wayne. Next time I go there as I usually go every 3 mos for family, I'll take some pictures of the current fleet. They have 14 1998 Gilligs that probably will go bye-bye from their system this year (will also confirm that). 4 of them are 30 footers and the rest are 35 footers. These buses don't have a speck of rust, everything is in working order inside and out, and as of late have been used much lighter than normal due to the newer buses they have. I promise you, these buses aint going for scrap, they'll be sold to an agency that needs to replace their buses from probably the late 80s or early 90s now, get them repainted and put them in service. This is why Pace could benefit from these buses as Citilink's buses are already painted royal blue just like Pace's newer buses so they wouldn't need to do much painting work. 14 buses on contractor routes would no question take out the rest of the 93 Orions at Westmont and even send some Nabis elsewhere and these buses could last at least 3-5 more years with the lighter work at Westmont. Then take the stimulus buses Busjack mentioned and put them on lighter all day routes (the Eldos anyway).

Getting back to RMTD, I wonder what they are gonna do with the bus wrap in red. It's harder to take wraps off buses with sliding windows.

***UPDATE*** I just looked at that pic again, my bad. It doesn't have sliding windows. But you know a paint job will be in order before they'll get put in service at Rock Island.

Theyre going to unwrap 9908 then leave them in the rmtd livery and place metro decals on them.

• 2 months later...

Here are some pics of the new RMTD Gilligs in service on the 42 E. State route. The buses are numbered in the 0900 series. They look nice! The 2000 New Flyers are now the oldest buses in Rockford's fleet.

post-158-12705822838396_thumb.jpgpost-158-12705823107163_thumb.jpg.

Here are some pics of the new RMTD Gilligs in service on the 42 E. State route. The buses are numbered in the 0900 series.

post-158-12705822838396_thumb.jpgpost-158-12705823107163_thumb.jpg.

I just can't get over how this model of Gilligs look so much like MAN Americanas moreso than what a NF D40LF or DE40LF does.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are some Rockford Mass Transit District bus pics I took last week. Maybe I might want to work here when I retire! Im such a Rockford bus fan! :) Believe it or not its kinda hard now to grab good shots because of a no nonsense, minimum wage security lady that patrols the entire facility!. I miss their 30ft Gilligs, 35ft Flxibles and the 30ft Neoplans they ran.

post-158-12911817841015_thumb.jpgpost-158-12911818491278_thumb.jpgpost-158-12911819294978_thumb.jpgpost-158-12911818872206_thumb.jpgpost-158-12911820495309_thumb.jpgpost-158-12911821845825_thumb.jpg

post-158-12911818191427_thumb.jpg

post-158-1291181957477_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Also, OT, but I've never seen a Flx metro w/ ad wings before!

Of course, one has to think about the provenance of that picture, since it says it was taken Jan. 10, 2011, but MTA got rid of the 870s (technically not Metros) in the early 1980s (sources say 1984, officially, but that the RTSs, ordered when MTA dropped Grumman were received in 1981).

• Upvote 1

Of course, one has to think about the provenance of that picture, since it says it was taken Jan. 10, 2011, but MTA got rid of the 870s (technically not Metros) in the early 1980s (sources say 1984, officially, but that the RTSs, ordered when MTA dropped Grumman were received in 1981).

Idiosyncrasy of Flickr I am afraid. For non-digital camera photographs it gives the date the photo was uploaded to Flickr. If the file header has a date the image was taken - as is the case from a digital camera - Flickr uses that date. So old images, that are scanned from photographs and then uploaded will not show the date the photograph was taken unless the author puts it in the text.

• Upvote 2

One of my Flickr contacts uploaded some great photos of RMTD Flxible New Looks today:

Rockford 1801 Rockford 1803 Rockford 1804 Rockford 1807 Rockford 1808

At first I thought they looked like Wilbus, but seeing the one left side view, they were apparently the same as the CTA 3300 series (35 foot Flx New Look).

• 5 months later...

I managed to get a couple shots of RMTD buses on my way back home last Saturday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetransitcamera/sets/72157627254948072/

CTA5750, your not kidding about security at the terminal there! The guard that was there didn't seem to notice or care that I took a few photos, but with all the "NO LOITERING" signs around I sure didn't want to stay long.

Those 2000 New Flyer D35LF units are in nice shape for 11 years old. I rode one of those and a NABI.

Also on the subject of greater IL transit, I have posted photo sets of Citylink, Metro, and BNPTS in the State of Illinois Section on my Flickr, just in case anyone is interested.

Edited by MVTArider

Also on the subject of greater IL transit, I have posted photo sets of Citylink ...

I see under Citylink that you only had pictures of Gilligs. Were you able to tell from you trip whether those were the stimulus buses (which supposedly were not going to be available until about now) or whether the CTA RTSs were still around?

I see under Citylink that you only had pictures of Gilligs. Were you able to tell from you trip whether those were the stimulus buses (which supposedly were not going to be available until about now) or whether the CTA RTSs were still around?

I did not see any RTS units around, and I was at the downtown terminal during the peak service period. The oldest looking units were a couple 30' Gillig Phantoms that I was unable to get photos of. The bulk of the fleet was the 2200 series low floors, which are either 2010 or perhaps 2011. the ones I rode on did not seem brand new so I'm guessing they are late 2010.