Sidewinder seats

trainman8119

...Im happy that the new 5000 series cars will have the bowling alley type seating. Maybe there will be less of a problem of blocked aisles.

Personally, as a passenger I hate the prospect. Sitting sideways is the most uncomfortable way to ride, unless you are in a corner leaning against a window half asleep. Watching how people sit where I am at is interesting. With our older cars on the Electric District and half a car forward, half a car backwards, most people will gravitate to the section facing forward. In the newer cars, the last seats filled are the sidewinders. What you will find is that more people will be tripping over feet and garbage in the aisles.

100% sideway seats....I think this is one of the worst decisions in CTA history.

Personally, as a passenger I hate the prospect. Sitting sideways is the most uncomfortable way to ride, unless you are in a corner leaning against a window half asleep. Watching how people sit where I am at is interesting. With our older cars on the Electric District and half a car forward, half a car backwards, most people will gravitate to the section facing forward. In the newer cars, the last seats filled are the sidewinders. What you will find is that more people will be tripping over feet and garbage in the aisles.

100% sideway seats....I think this is one of the worst decisions in CTA history.

I would say I agree with you trainman8119. Who wants to look across the aisle at other people when you can see better things out the window? I don't want to look at homeless people for my entire ride who will now most likely stretch out and lay down across the seats like it was there bedroom. I understand that there will be tons of more space for standing people and bicycles and strollers but couldn't they have made a few forward facing seats. Perhaps the best seat in the house would now be the railfans seat up front looking out the front of the train. Also with the seats what happens if fatter people or tall people sit down beside you? The seats are narrow to begin with. I think what will happen is a person sitting in every other seat and more people standing. Who wants to be squeezed to death anyway? Overall it's a bad idea.

I would say I agree with you trainman8119. Who wants to look across the aisle at other people when you can see better things out the window? I don't want to look at homeless people for my entire ride who will now most likely stretch out and lay down across the seats like it was there bedroom. I understand that there will be tons of more space for standing people and bicycles and strollers but couldn't they have made a few forward facing seats. Perhaps the best seat in the house would now be the railfans seat up front looking out the front of the train. Also with the seats what happens if fatter people or tall people sit down beside you? The seats are narrow to begin with. I think what will happen is a person sitting in every other seat and more people standing. Who wants to be squeezed to death anyway? Overall it's a bad idea.

Count me as disliking them also. Last August I was in Boston on vacation and rode MBTA's Blue, Red, and Orange, and Green lines. All those lines trains except the Green Line trolleys had bowling alley seats. The seats were OK but I like being able to look out the window as I ride.

As for riding backwards, I don't mind when I'm on a rail vehicle as long as I am facing a door.

I like the idea because it will resemble New York subway style seating. And if I want to look out the window Ill go stand by the doors.