The Color Coding System

jcmellencamp78

I'm new to the forum, and I was just wondering...why all the hate on the Color Coding System? I personally think it makes it much easier to navigate the system than the old routing names (especially for the Blue/Green Lines which have two branches. Lake-Englewood-Jackson Park is a mouthful...so is O'Hare-Congress-Douglas). The color coding makes is so much easier to give directions to out of towners or even suburban visitors. I know the old names have nostalgia, but the colors are much more practical.

I'm new to the forum, and I was just wondering...why all the hate on the Color Coding System? I personally think it makes it much easier to navigate the system than the old routing names (especially for the Blue/Green Lines which have two branches. Lake-Englewood-Jackson Park is a mouthful...so is O'Hare-Congress-Douglas). The color coding makes is so much easier to give directions to out of towners or even suburban visitors. I know the old names have nostalgia, but the colors are much more practical.

Well welcome to our forum we hope you find it interesting. The color coding system kind of takes away from the old school of naming the rapid transit system by its names, when it was better known by its destinations. For me I grew up to the names like "the Ravenswood" or the "Skokie Swift" or the "OHare" line. Calling them by their colors dosent make you feel like your riding the train but rather like your in Romper Room.

Although I will agree with the concept that color coding assists out of towners, the initial idea behind the color coding was not in the maps, but to relieve confusion in riding. For example, when on the Loop L, you have Green, Orange, Purple, Brown, Pink and sometimes Red. I guess, if you are there seeing a color would help you get on the right train....or at least that is the idea. However, if you are headed to Midway, and you are on the outer loop instead of the inner loop, colors won't help you. If you are headed to 63rd and Cottage Grove and see a green sign (which will get you to 63rd and Ashland), colors won't help you. Initially, if you were headed to 54th and Cermak and were in the subway, you could find yourself headed to DesPlaines ave in Forest Park, if you are not careful. Some of the Green and Blue confusion was addressed by changing the background to white, but I think that takes away from the color coding as it was intended. Also, now the blue confusion is totally eliminated by eliminating the entire Cermak branch of the blue line anyway (now all Pink).

Initially, in the era of skip stop service, all was real easy by simply boarding an A or B train (on what is now Red or Blue lines). Most people knew A's as Congress or Englewood, and B's as Douglas or Jackson Park....also A's were red and B's were green. If you were on a platform, you knew your train right away by the markers or signage. Also, in as much as you hear Congress-Douglas, Englewood-Jackson Park, Howard, Lake-Dan Ryan, you should know that these lines were also refered to as West-Northwest, North South, and West-South lines, and in addition were Ravenswood, Evanston and Skokie. The Midway Line was opened at the start of the color coding system.

I will always refer to the old system when I can...mostly in forum talk or daily chat. When I have to steer someone onto a train from one of ours (Metra), I'll use the colors. When someone asks me how to get to a certain line, I will always ask where they are going, because I will find that 75% of the time, they got some bad directions, either from another rider, or the RTA travel center. Old timers will often times use one of the old terminologies...Newbies will refer to colors. But, to each his own.

I just find it so much easier. But I agree that on the Green and Blue Lines (and as you mentioned the Blue Line problem will go away come April 20) confusion is greater because of the two branches. But is pretty easy to see the difference with the White Background on the 54/Cermak signs and the East 63rd Signs.

2 things from me ..

Number 1 : JCMELLENCAMP78 Welcome i to hope that you will enjoy it

Number 2 : I agree with CTA5750 when you refer to the lines it takes you back to a time when life was not rushed but for me the "LINE NAMES" are the way to go the color coding is all fine and good but their is nothing like talking to an "old tymer" and hearing the stories about all the lines and branches, i mean if you go and colorize every thing to me it takes away from the good old days . Some people that i talk to do not know that the "RED" line has three separate parts and this is true for the "Blue" line .

And if we forget about the original names branches like the ''STOCK YARDS BRANCH" may be forgotten to history. Thank you for you time and enjoy the the conversation.

2 things from me ..

Number 1 : JCMELLENCAMP78 Welcome i to hope that you will enjoy it

Number 2 : I agree with CTA5750 when you refer to the lines it takes you back to a time when life was not rushed but for me the "LINE NAMES" are the way to go the color coding is all fine and good but their is nothing like talking to an "old tymer" and hearing the stories about all the lines and branches, i mean if you go and colorize every thing to me it takes away from the good old days . Some people that i talk to do not know that the "RED" line has three separate parts and this is true for the "Blue" line .

And if we forget about the original names branches like the ''STOCK YARDS BRANCH" may be forgotten to history. Thank you for you time and enjoy the the conversation.

I agree with you about the the nostalgia of old times when it comes to using the old line names. One thing though. The Red Line in its current routing configuration only has two branches, Howard and Dan Ryan. Back before February of 1993, when it was still the Howard-Englewood/Jackson Park, it had three separate branches. You are correct about the Blue Line, but starting next Monday when the Pink Line covers all 54th/Cermak service, the Blue Line's branches will drop from three to two: O'Hare and Forest Park.

Why do newcomes always think we're hating? Nobody's hating on anything. Sure, some people don't like it, but nobody hates it.

Well, for those of us that go back, we know what the Ravenswood, Englewood, or Douglas is. Although set to be offed, Blue Line 54th Ave Branch is too big of a mouthful. One probably still distinguishes between Howard, Dan Ryan, Congress, and O'Hare (formerly Milwaukee), even though there technically will no longer be branches, but segments heading to one terminal or the other. The current jargon of the "Blue Line Forest Park" branch or train doesn't sound right to me either. Also, I understood that the news stories about the Blue Line Cermak branch being canceled had nothing to do with the Douglas (or Pink Line), but few others realized that.

I understand why colors may be necessary for those not conversant with English or familiar with the old names (based on streets, parks, or destinations), but doesn't necessarily mean that I have to conform to that. I felt awkward once giving instructions on how to get to the Museum of Science and Industry using the "Electric Train from Randolph St. Station" instead of the IC, which, of course, no longer exists. Technically speaking, Randolph St. Station doesn't exist by that name any more, either.

Not to mention that I only recognize Sox Park (but off topic).

I'm a Cubs fan and still Comiskey will NEVER be US Cellular to me either!

and you and my dad are alike! He always calls the Metra Electric the IC and he still refers to the CTA Lines by the old names (when he was moving me into my dorm at UIC Last year...he refered to the Blue Line as the Congress Line and still calls the Red Line the Dan Ryan EL). It helps knowing all of the other names for the lines as well. For example, when the Red Line was running over the Loop Elevated, the conductor instructed passengers transfering to the Dearborn Street Subway to go downstairs at Clark/Lake. Well a lot of my fellow Cubs Fans didn't understand that, so I had to explain.

But as far as giving directions, I guess I find it easier explaining to my suburban friends on how to get to my dorm or get back to the LaSalle Street Metra by just simply saying "Board a Pink Line train to 54/Cermak and get off at Polk" or "Board a Pink Line train to the Loop and exit at LaSalle/VanBuren". But I guess it all comes down to preferences.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though I didn't grow up with the old names, I still like to call them by the old names. Ravenswood just sounds much cooler than 'Brown Line', which like 75 other cities have. However, I have to agree that the colors do make it a bit easier to ride the system, but you need to know your destination anyways.

A few observations. I grew up on the old names Englewood/Jackson Pk Howard so I do kindof miss those names. As for the origin of the color coding system, the colors actually did come from the old CTA maps. The aforementioned North-South (Englewood/jackson Pk/Howard) line was red. the West - South (Lake Dan Ryan) was green, The West -Northwest (Congress/Douglas?O"Hare) was of course blue. When the Howard got paired with the Dan Ryan and Lake Street got paired with the Englewood /Jackson Park, the north side main and Lake Street kept their original color and the south side lines adapted the color scheme of the line that it was paired with.

By the way I've noticed out of towners still get on the wrong train. Once I observed some men who had come downtown to Roosevelt Rd on an Orange Line train get on a Green Line train. They must 've assumed only one train stopped at Roosevelt. I thought it was odd they were on the GreenLine to begin with, but I held my peace. When we approached 63rd and Halsted, they decided to ask me if this train was going to Midway. Wrong train guys, you wanted an Orange Line train. I told them rather than ride a Green Line train all the way back downtown to get an Orange Line train, I told them to get off at 63rd/Ashland and catch the 63rd street bus to Midway.

Come tothink of it, I've seen quite a few people board a Green Line train when they meant to board an Orange Line train, but usually by the time they ask or think to ask if they are on the right train, the Green Line train has departed Roosevelt and they have to get off at Bronzeviille 35th and ride back.

Which brings up another thing I've been thinking about. There should be someway to differentiate the stops on different lines. For example the Blue Line has two Western stops and 2 Harlem stops. If someone gets ona Blue Line train and asks does this train go to Harlem, well the answer is yes, but which Harlem? God help them if they intend to go to the one at Harlem/Higgins and they wind up in Forest Park. What if the one station is called Harlem/Higgins and the other Harlem/Harrison, or Western/Milwaukee and Western/Congress. Keep in mind that the Pink and Brown Lines also have Western Ave stops, so we could say Western/21st and Western/Leland, respectively.

Which brings up another thing I've been thinking about. There should be someway to differentiate the stops on different lines. For example the Blue Line has two Western stops and 2 Harlem stops. If someone gets ona Blue Line train and asks does this train go to Harlem, well the answer is yes, but which Harlem? God help them if they intend to go to the one at Harlem/Higgins and they wind up in Forest Park. What if the one station is called Harlem/Higgins and the other Harlem/Harrison, or Western/Milwaukee and Western/Congress. Keep in mind that the Pink and Brown Lines also have Western Ave stops, so we could say Western/21st and Western/Leland, respectively.

I always wondered why they didn't name the stops on the Milwaukee Blue Line by E-W streets instead of N-S streets. That would eliminate the duplicate stop names on at least that line. Damen would become North Avenue, which really doesn't exist anywhere in the system except North/Clybourn and maybe Sedgewick/North.

A few observations. I grew up on the old names Englewood/Jackson Pk Howard so I do kindof miss those names. As for the origin of the color coding system, the colors actually did come from the old CTA maps. The aforementioned North-South (Englewood/jackson Pk/Howard) line was red. the West - South (Lake Dan Ryan) was green, The West -Northwest (Congress/Douglas?O"Hare) was of course blue. When the Howard got paired with the Dan Ryan and Lake Street got paired with the Englewood /Jackson Park, the north side main and Lake Street kept their original color and the south side lines adapted the color scheme of the line that it was paired with.

By the way I've noticed out of towners still get on the wrong train. Once I observed some men who had come downtown to Roosevelt Rd on an Orange Line train get on a Green Line train. They must 've assumed only one train stopped at Roosevelt. I thought it was odd they were on the GreenLine to begin with, but I held my peace. When we approached 63rd and Halsted, they decided to ask me if this train was going to Midway. Wrong train guys, you wanted an Orange Line train. I told them rather than ride a Green Line train all the way back downtown to get an Orange Line train, I told them to get off at 63rd/Ashland and catch the 63rd street bus to Midway.

Come tothink of it, I've seen quite a few people board a Green Line train when they meant to board an Orange Line train, but usually by the time they ask or think to ask if they are on the right train, the Green Line train has departed Roosevelt and they have to get off at Bronzeviille 35th and ride back.

Stations of the same name on separate lines aren't as much of an issue as two stations of the same name on the same line. You can always fefer someone to the Western Pink Line station or the Western Brown Line station and that should make it clear they're two separate stations. Your other suggestion to differentiate similarly named stations of the same line are good ones though.

I always wondered why they didn't name the stops on the Milwaukee Blue Line by E-W streets instead of N-S streets. That would eliminate the duplicate stop names on at least that line. Damen would become North Avenue, which really doesn't exist anywhere in the system except North/Clybourn and maybe Sedgewick/North.
  • The names on that stretch go back to when the Metropolitan Elevated Railway was built, in the late 1800s.
  • The stations on the Met stretch actually are centered on the NS streets. Western station is about a half block south of Armitage, and it is a bit of a hike from the Armitage bus. Similarly, California station is centered on California, and a bit south of Fullerton. Damen, there doesn't seem to be quite that discrepancy.

The above leads to speculation that the original purpose of the Logan Square L was to serve people living north of it, not west. Remember, there was the Humboldt Park line a bit north of North Ave. to Humboldt Park.The Ravenswood was built later. Of course, there weren't free transfers from the L to the competing streetcar companies either in the late 1800s.

I agree that having the same names of stations on the Congress and Milwaukee branches of the Blue Line is somewhat confusing. Also, that on the Milwaukee branch that the old part on the L is based on NS streets, while the new parts (the subway, and between Belmont and Montrose) is based on EW ones.

With regard to EW ones on the new stretch, it might have worked at Kimball (Belmont) and Pulaski (Irving Park), but nothing major at Addison and Montrose. However, obviously most of the transfer traffic is to Belmont and Irving Park.

Why they don't use the combination name (as suggested Harlem-Higgins or Harlem-Harrison) is also a bit beyond me. You do have Harlem-Lake and Ashland-63 on the Green Line, but maybe that was to preserve some of the old branch names (we had the previous discussion that Harlem-Lake is technically at Harlem-North Blvd.).

And, of course, the strangest sign artifact is East 63rd, but that's because at the time that roll was printed, they didn't know whether the L would go to Dorchester, or, as it happened, be torn down east of Cottage Grove.