USE CAUTION

trainman8119

Spread the news. Metra is going to 3 working tracks on the Milwaukee West line between Franklin Park (B12) and Galewood starting today. I think the ultimate goal is to have local trains use track 3 inbound and express trains use track 2 inbound. What they put on the trains to advise people is a discrace...a piece of white paper with pictures of 6 stations. We made announcements on trains, but with Metra's refusal to install fences at stations between tracks on the West line this is a tragedy waiting to happen. Flagmen have been dispatched to 3 stations, but they will be there only so long.

Spread the word...Look, Listen and Live. Look both ways, obey lights and gates and don't assume that the train you see is the only train moving.

Thanks !!!

• 4 months later...

Well it did happen on the CTA in 1977 (probably before you were born), so I suggest you stay off the Loop L (and not walk under it on Wabash and Lake Streets) if you are that paranoid. Of course, being on a Rock Island Division train with engine 409 may not be a good idea, either.

And again, I've failed to recognized history. Burn. Albeit:

Both the 1977 crash and the RI 409 were caused my motorman failure, am I correct? If that's so the case, then why bring up the point I started to begin with.

And two, why would you want to walk on the tracks anyway? Especially the 'L' tracks for that matter?

Well it did happen on the CTA in 1977 (probably before you were born), so I suggest you stay off the Loop L (and not walk under it on Wabash and Lake Streets) if you are that paranoid. Of course, being on a Rock Island Division train with engine 409 may not be a good idea, either.

Trains have fell off the tracks a few times on the CTA. Around 40th and Indiana was a good place for it to happen back in the late 1960's. I remember the rear car of a Jackson Park train falling off the elevated into a back yard and a few derailments there where cars flipped over on their sides. I think part of what was causing the problems there was fixed a long time ago.

As for Engine 409 on the Rock...I think you can say you'll be okay as long as your not riding a train with an inept poorly trained rookie engineer at the controls...PS engine 411, which is the one that burned in the first Rock incident is back too and is on the Milwaukee District these days, and so far no bad incidents with it, other than it runs like crud !!!