The Scoop on NABI

Okay I just got back from a demonstration of a BRT bus that NABI provided. While there I was able to talk to NABI representatives. Heres whats up: Blue Bird, Optima and NABI buses are now all manufactured down in Anniston AL. The NABI group is still keeping the names separate since all three have a reputation in the transit industry. The models available, according to a brochure from NABI are, Blue Bird Ultra LF 30' and 35' ft, Xcel 102 30' 35' and 40' ft lengths CNG and diesel. Optima Opus 29' and 34' ft, a streamlined Opus and Opus with streetcar features. NABI has 40-LFW with 31' 35' and 40' ft lengths, 416 standard floor 40' and 60' lengths as well as BRT's with 40' and 42' and 60-BRT "Advanced Styling for specially branded service. The NABI rep also said that the NABI website will be updated soon, right now they are just having some technical issues.

As to the bus ride it was really cool! I will comment on that in the Minneapolis T bus thread later.

EDIT: I don't think saying this will spill the beans, NABI is planning on putting a bid for the CTA bus proposal, or one of them anyways, if there was another one the rep was talking about. Of course, any manufacturer who makes a bus that can fit that proposal would be sort of foolish not to submit a bid. It also looks like NABI still offers the 60 ft low floor as well BTW.

EDIT: I don't think saying this will spill the beans, NABI is planning on putting a bid for the CTA bus proposal, or one of them anyways, if there was another one the rep was talking about. Of course, any manufacturer who makes a bus that can fit that proposal would be sort of foolish not to submit a bid. It also looks like NABI still offers the 60 ft low floor as well BTW.

After the 60-LFW debacle, I doubt CTA will ever look at NABI again.

After the 60-LFW debacle, I doubt CTA will ever look at NABI again.

Yep, thats true :lol: Still maybe now that NABI is under Cerebrus (correct spelling?) they may change their minds. (You never know with the almighty dollar all be it a little less mighty now.) I think it would be cool if CTA got some NovaBus artics though.

Yep, thats true :lol: Still maybe now that NABI is under Cerebrus (correct spelling?) they may change their minds.
The real question raised by CTA was the quality of the assembly workers at the Alabama plant. It was noted at the time that they could make more money working for Nissan. Unless Cerberus changed the workforce or its ethic (and, after all, Cerberus is essentially just a finance, turn around, and sell-off operation, as their handling of the local Cub Food stores showed), I wouldn't bet on it.

In fact, since Cerberus moved the Optima operation to Alabama, that would weigh against CTA exercising those options.

I also noted that the CTA specs ask for such things as whether the company was in bankruptcy reorganization, the history of defects with the model suggested, whether the company had to pay liquidated damages, etc. That doesn't weigh in NABI's favor (especially since CTA isn't springing for BRT design, and the only other bus that meets the specification's sole history is with the CTA), although, again, anything is possible.

This tour seems similar to the one for the EcoSaver: the manufacturer gets some local publicity, but it is questionable whether it gets orders. As previously noted, Pace saw the 60 and 42BRT models, put out a press release saying that it was impressed, but certainly hasn't bit yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the new North American Bus Industries website
For the tea leaf readers (and also speculators about the 900 hybrid articulated buses), there is no 60 footer listed for the NABI LFW line.

Also, the continual references to the "Three Great Brands" seem a bit presumptuous.

It also seems they added a 40-foot and a 65-foot BRT bus, in addition to the 42-foot BRT. Also they only show the Blue Bird Ultra LF, seems they axed the LMB and the Xcel 102. I also never knew there was a Propane powered Optima Opus. 'Three Great Brands' LOL.

I like the looks of the Compobus but the other NABIs I can do without. :lol:

Gene

I want to know if the ride of a CompoBus is any different than a bus with a steel or aluminum chassis. BTW the one NABI representative said he heard that with the CompoBus allegedly if a car hit the side it would pop back out, I assume like when you squeeze a mustard bottle and it returns to its original shape.

I enjoy more the design of the previous NABIs. I cant say Im too excited about the updated front fascia, not very impressive to me.

Yeah, in my opinion the new front sort of looks like it was sticking out like a Gillig BRT or NovaBus LFS and then it hit a flat wall. I'm wondering if they redesigned the front so it would be more unique since the original looked similar to the Gillig low floor and El Dorado 40 ft's.

For the tea leaf readers (and also speculators about the 900 hybrid articulated buses), there is no 60 footer listed for the NABI LFW line.

Also, the continual references to the "Three Great Brands" seem a bit presumptuous.

Just have to sit back and see, next time I go to Florida to visit my Grandparents I want to ride the new Lake Xpress which uses Blue Bird 35ft Ultras.

Possibly off topic: Here are a few interesting quotes from the Lake County (FL) Transit Operations Plan Note, I quoted stuff since the plan takes a few minutes to download as it is 100+ pages.

• Thomas Built and Bluebird vehicles have good components, but as a whole, there have been too many break downs and repairs that have hurt service reliability and impacted customer relations negatively.
  • Maintenance and repair work escalate with the under-sized and under-designed buses from Thomas and Bluebird.
  • Because of start-up schedules, Bluebird and Thomas Built buses have both been purchased because of quicker delivery times and lower costs than specially-built transit coaches. However, each of the systems where this has occurred has decided that it was a mistake in the initial decision-making process and has been moving as quickly as possible to replace its fleet with better built transit coaches.

Lake county did however go with the Bluebird low floor bus because,

MV Transportation staff reported that the chassis on the Bluebird buses is very similar to those on the Gillig buses previously recommended in the document. The County Fleet Manager, along with the MV Fleet Manager, recommended that the county purchase the Bluebird buses based on an analysis of the chassis, transmissions, and engines of both the Bluebird and Gillig buses. The Bluebird and Gillig vehicles are similar in cost and the Bluebird vehicles are available through a Pasco County contract in a shorter delivery time.
It will be interesting to see how those work out for them.

It also seems they added a 40-foot and a 65-foot BRT bus, in addition to the 42-foot BRT. Also they only show the Blue Bird Ultra LF, seems they axed the LMB and the Xcel 102. I also never knew there was a Propane powered Optima Opus. 'Three Great Brands' LOL.

The one paper they had at the bus event still listed the Xcel but did not mention the LMB. I'm guessing they have the plans for the Xcel in the attic just in case.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest metralink

I caught something on another website regarding LA Metro 60 ft NABI's showing cracks in the suspension? They seem to be appearing on the Red Line service, blamed on the pot holes. The info was pretty limited.

Wonder if anyone else heard about this?

• 2 months later...

Hi All;

I don't have any pics but apparently Coach USA has a 40ft NABI low floor suburban which I've seen

10/28 and 10/29. I first saw this bus on Sheridan south of Howard [i was on a 147] Tuesday. Last night I saw one parked on 35th street just east of Michigan Ave. The bus has front end similar to that of the NJT high floor NABIs.

Gene

• 4 years later...

Just to be clear, although not in production, there IS such a thing as a NABI Metro 40C.

(Pic from NYC Transit Forums)

Being either very bored or tense, I looked at the NABI site.

According to its brochure, what was pictured might have been the 40-LFW Generation 3.The one thing that may support your conclusion is that the picture in your post seems to show bowed sides, while the LFW has straight ones.

Also, the brochure indicates that the body is now made in the USA.

No 60LFW, though. :lol: :blink:

I'm still very curious who won the bid to provide the rest of the new buses for MCTS. I'd put my money on NovaBus or New Flyer (again), but having NABIs around would also be pretty cool.

The only thing I noted on their site is while they replaced the brochures, Press Releases about new orders were few and far between. Main one seemed to be Broward County Fl (Ft. Lauderdale), and a BRT here and there.

I'm still very curious who won the bid to provide the rest of the new buses for MCTS. I'd put my money on NovaBus or New Flyer (again), but having NABIs around would also be pretty cool.

Maybe Millennium Transit will try and bring their RTS proposal back from the dead and sell it to MCTS.

(I'm not seriously suggesting that to be the case; my hunch is it will be Nova.)

Being either very bored or tense, I looked at the NABI site.

According to its brochure, what was pictured might have been the 40-LFW Generation 3.The one thing that may support your conclusion is that the picture in your post seems to show bowed sides, while the LFW has straight ones.

Also, the brochure indicates that the body is now made in the USA.

No 60LFW, though. :lol::blink:

Picture shot with a Chicago Backdrop.... How nice, Wishful thinking

Picture shot with a Chicago Backdrop.... How nice, Wishful thinking

Strange that I didn't notice that. I guess I was looking at the bus itself. What is it doing. going up a plaza toward Buckingham Fountain? Or just on Roosevelt Road?

Undoubtedly, a Photoshop mistake.

• 3 months later...