Flxible Observation

trainman8119

Over the past few days, I have noticed that Kedzie Flxibles are in abundance downtown, primarily on the LSD express routes. 145 was just about all Flxs today as well as a number of 143s. And there is usually 1 or 2 on the 157 midday with 1 often running on the 124 at night. It has been the most 6000s I have seen in the loop (other than the occasional 56) since the days they were assigned to 77th street and operated on the 29 !!!!

Over the past few days, I have noticed that Kedzie Flxibles are in abundance downtown, primarily on the LSD express routes. 145 was just about all Flxs today as well as a number of 143s. And there is usually 1 or 2 on the 157 midday with 1 often running on the 124 at night. It has been the most 6000s I have seen in the loop (other than the occasional 56) since the days they were assigned to 77th street and operated on the 29 !!!!

Weekday midday service is weird that way sometimes with the 145. As of this hour, there's only two 6000s (6008 and 6017) on the whole 145/148 interline combo, not counting those 145 short runs that might be deadheading at the moment back to downtown to become 148s. The rest are an almost even split between 1000s and 4000s with slightly more 1000s serving the two. There are 3 on the 125 with the rest being 1000s. Two out of six total are on the 38. Might be a few on the 157 but I didn't check. Isn't as likely that 7 or 126 will have any. Out of about eight months that the 6000s have been back at Kedzie only spotted at most two total on either of those routes, both being on 126 one each on different days.

• 3 months later...

I think #6106 lost something! I came across this today at Irving Pk/Cumb. while working the #326. My little one also took a ride with me today.

Wow from the lighter blue paint this one is a rehabbed Flxible, and if I recall correctly the sound of its engine vouches that it is. I wonder just how long CTA will be able to hold them together given they won't be able to get further new buses beyond the 58 from the stimulus until the state legislature gets of its butt and finally puts forward a long overdue capital finding plan bill and our still relatively new governor does his job and sign it into law (hasn't been one in place since the Illinois First plan expired under Blago's first term).

Wow from the lighter blue paint this one is a rehabbed Flxible, and if I recall correctly the sound of its engine vouches that it is. I wonder just how long CTA will be able to hold them together given they won't be able to get further new buses beyond the 58 from the stimulus until the state legislature gets of its butt and finally puts forward a long overdue capital finding plan bill and our still relatively new governor does his job and sign it into law (hasn't been one in place since the Illinois First plan expired under Blago's first term).
The bills were passed and signed. The citations are in this post. The issue was that while Quinn signed something that was necessary to get the highway bonds sold, he, reported sometime in April or May, supposedly didn't sign the same thing for the transit bonds. In that New Flyer reported that that money was not yet available, apparently he still has not.

I might have said that, from a state viewpoint, while getting right of way construction projects going on CTA and Metra provides Illinois jobs, equipment purchases provide few (the only one I have heard mentioned are Vapor for door equipment). Of course, one can't figure out Quinn's motivations, either.

The bills were passed and signed. The citations are in this post. The issue was that while Quinn signed something that was necessary to get the highway bonds sold, he, reported sometime in April or May, supposedly didn't sign the same thing for the transit bonds. In that New Flyer reported that that money was not yet available, apparently he still has not.

I might have said that, from a state viewpoint, while getting right of way construction projects going on CTA and Metra provides Illinois jobs, equipment purchases provide few (the only one I have heard mentioned are Vapor for door equipment). Of course, one can't figure out Quinn's motivations, either.

Ok. Thanks for the link to help clear it up some why there's still no extra funds to get new equipment Busjack. Though I don't always think CTA management decisions make sense, it's still a shame that they had to hit this snag in continuing to get it's equipment and infrastructure up to par.

The other day I saw a broke down Flx at the ARcher/Halsted Orange Line station (can't remember the number but it was a Cummins bus) and I also l saw a similar bus running on 47th. It sounded good but looked so bad. By the look of its firewall, I don't think this bus ever had a rehab and its ready to retire.

I actually saw a Flx on the 90 Harlem. That is very very very rare.

The other day I saw a broke down Flx at the ARcher/Halsted Orange Line station (can't remember the number but it was a Cummins bus) and I also l saw a similar bus running on 47th. It sounded good but looked so bad. By the look of its firewall, I don't think this bus ever had a rehab and its ready to retire.

I actually saw a Flx on the 90 Harlem. That is very very very rare.

The Cummins were never rehabbed.

Actually, there's at least one Flxible on the 90 Harlem every day (or most days).

6106 is back out working the X80 Express today.

I was back on the #326 today and I did see #6106 at Harlem/Irving. Plus NF #1222 was operating on the 80 today as well, I followed her to Irv/Cum.

I was on the 145/148 the other day

I took this pic @ Wilson & Ravenswood..its so FUNNY hence the destination sign.

Good one.

I suppose that since there is a mixture of 4000s, 6000s, and roughly 1600s on those routes, the driver punched in a P/R sign out of habit.

Except that the bus does not appear to have a driver. :lol:

Or maybe they used the organic version of some Billy Mays cleaner on the floor. :blink:

Good one.

I suppose that since there is a mixture of 4000s, 6000s, and roughly 1600s on those routes, the driver punched in a P/R sign out of habit.

Except that the bus does not appear to have a driver. :lol:

Or maybe they used the organic version of some Billy Mays cleaner on the floor. :blink:

IIRC, didn't daerah say he was a Kedzie operator in a previous post he wrote in the 4000s arrive thread or some other thread about artics? If I am remembering that right, perhaps he was the driver and snapped the pic during a layover. Or maybe perhaps a coworker's bus?

IIRC, didn't daerah say he was a Kedzie operator in a previous post he wrote in the 4000s arrive thread or some other thread about artics? If I am remembering that right, perhaps he was the driver and snapped the pic during a layover. Or maybe perhaps a coworker's bus?

I remember T8H5307A a.k.a. Eddy doing that. I suppose daerah could tell us if he was up to the same or just happened to find it.