Creation/Restoration/Elimination of Owl Service

cta_44499_FG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the politics between the multifarious transit agencies, if there ain't no money, there ain't no money, and Quinn's spokesperson isn't saying that the state has paid what it owes.

Let's go back to 2007. This was said about every two weeks, and Blago was the one that had to come up with various "steal from capital" plans to avert similar scenarios, while he was sending mixed signals on whether he would sign the sales tax increase.

The state has engaged in too many of these frauds, and the string has probably run out.

On the other hand, the RTA doesn't have any authority over the level of service, the service boards do (section 2.01 of the RTA Act), so they aren't going to say anything until the RTA tells them that they aren't getting the money.

Such is fragmented transit here.

The one thing about which you can be sure is that any substantial service cut is not going to happen July 1, because the transit agencies have to hold public hearings on them, and that won't happen in a week. That is, of course, if the service cuts are serious, as in 2010, as opposed to political theater, as in 2007.

I wasn't speaking on authority on level of service, but more the RTA abdicating its role in working through the dysfunction between the service boards. My point was from the initial news reports it felt like political theater given Metra and CTA's statements to the media. So I sgree that any change won't happen next week.

Regardless of how bad the Rta board is the problem starts with Springfield.

Other than Mayor Quimby and Police Chief Wiggum, you have to be more specific about how "the problem starts with Springfield." I can lay blame on the legislature, the governor, or the RTA itself, based on many balls being dropped, but it is necessary to identify the problem better.

For your information, I noted about 3 years ago what was wrong with the RTA bill then being considered. I could add three years more of stuff if you want, but I doubt that you do.

I wasn't speaking on authority on level of service, but more the RTA abdicating its role in working through the dysfunction between the service boards. My point was from the initial news reports it felt like political theater given Metra and CTA's statements to the media. So I sgree that any change won't happen next week.

As far as the RTA abdicating its role, my impression from the 2008 legislation is that its only role is to cry "we got no money." Again, you can go back to our conversation three years ago, with regard to the RTA not having any real authority.

It thinks it has a role in writing a letter to Quinn, but since Quinn thinks he knows everything, and has been aware of the problem he caused for about a year, that's about as effective as writing to Santa Claus. Probably less so, since if Santa exists, he has something in his bag. Quinn doesn't.