Creation/Restoration/Elimination of Owl Service

cta_44499_FG

Since we all like to talk and speculate and what not....heres one to toss out there....

Which routes do you think should have owl service introduced, restored (mainly a result of the Booz-Allen cuts of '97), or you have yet to wonder why it has owl service at all?

Most importantly...please specify why.

Any route currently with owl service that you may believe needs modification (service line too short, extensions, etc) may also be discussed too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok....anybody that can be serious?

You two know each other :lol: . I was going to ask if there were only 2 riders on the late run.

The real question is whether there is any route with a late night traffic generator, such as a steel mill, hospital, etc. I was thinking 3, but Michael Reese is closed. Most of the steel mills on the south side, too. The only current analogy is that UPS is willing to pay for a 3 a.m. bus.

For that matter, apparently a bus garage is a late night traffic generator, but if we believe what we read about Archer, apparently not (although there is the N62).

You two know each other :lol: . I was going to ask if there were only 2 riders on the late run.

The real question is whether there is any route with a late night traffic generator, such as a steel mill, hospital, etc. I was thinking 3, but Michael Reese is closed. Most of the steel mills on the south side, too. The only current analogy is that UPS is willing to pay for a 3 a.m. bus.

For that matter, apparently a bus garage is a late night traffic generator, but if we believe what we read about Archer, apparently not (although there is the N62).

If you wanted to make the argument for owl service on route 3 you might remember that it does pass near Mercy Hospital (as does #4 and #21) and the north terminal is near Northwestern Hospital. :)

If you wanted to make the argument for owl service on route 3 you might remember that it does pass near Mercy Hospital (as does #4 and #21) and the north terminal is near Northwestern Hospital. :)

4 Cottage Grove extended back to 94th, 77 Belmont to Harlem, 66 Chicago to Austin.

4 Cottage Grove extended back to 94th, 77 Belmont to Harlem, 66 Chicago to Austin.

Current running time between Cumberland and Octavia (where the other loop is) is only about 4-5 minutes at that hour....for that amount you mite as well restore owl service all the way, unless saving the 5 minutes is worth it.

The 66 to Austin was cut for some reason...perhaps someone can shed why?

The 4 can't say much about...never been to that neck of the woods.

I would wonder if maybe restoring the 80 would work. The 81 does have some traffic generators (Aragon Ballroom, Riviera Theater, Red Line) that are utilized well during owl service so cutting this probably wouldn't be such a good thing.

I would argue placing owl service on the 36 to a certain point since the 22 already serves a heavy nightlife traffic generator in Wrigleyville and many times the nite cars are very late because of this (including the traffic at that hour).

Any thoughts??

If this were so then 85 (Forest Glen) and 92 (North Park) should also have one. I could see 85 to an extent since there is no north-south owl service from Pulaski on west, and nothing east until Western

I would trade the 66 for the 72 (to Narragansett). I guess this was based on my complaints to get to the west side without having to walk from Pulaski, but also you have the Wicker Park crowd to contend with. I'm not sure how the 66 is, but the "center of the action" is at the Damen/North area.

My defense of the 80 is that from Harlem to the Blue Line, you might have passengers who need to get to the airport (or downtown) without having to do much of any traveling. 85 can take the Jeff service as the north-south connector, and time the transfers at Central/Irving Park

I would trade the 66 for the 72 (to Narragansett). I guess this was based on my complaints to get to the west side without having to walk from Pulaski, but also you have the Wicker Park crowd to contend with. I'm not sure how the 66 is, but the "center of the action" is at the Damen/North area.

My defense of the 80 is that from Harlem to the Blue Line, you might have passengers who need to get to the airport (or downtown) without having to do much of any traveling. 85 can take the Jeff service as the north-south connector, and time the transfers at Central/Irving Park

The 66 serves Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

I agree about the 72 in terms of night life in Wicker Park. However, the #9 already runs on North Ave from Ashland to Clark How does that suit the night owl crowd considering the recent extension from Clybourn to Clark? I can't think of much in terms of late night generators west of Western Ave.

In terms of 80 vs 81. They both serve hospitals. #80 serves Thorek Hospital which is already near Sheridan on the Red Line. #81 serves Weiss Memorial Hospital at it's eastern terminal (Wilson/Marine). 81 also has more late night generators such as Uptown and Lincoln Square. I prefer Lawrence. 80 could work except I don't see as many late night places open on Irving Park.

If this were so then 85 (Forest Glen) and 92 (North Park) should also have one. I could see 85 to an extent since there is no north-south owl service from Pulaski on west, and nothing east until Western

I agree about the lack of Owl Bus Service west of Pulaski. I could see Cicero doing better than Central because its length is longer than Central. It is also a major mile street like Pulaski. How far along Cicero would service be provided?

In terms of adding Owl Service, Here are my recommendations.

#47 47th Street

There is a lot of industry along 47th Street and It basically runs all night with a brief gap in between 2am and 3:30am. Also there is no east-west owl bus route between Madison and Garfield except the segments of major streets served by the #60 and the small section of Roosevelt served by the #62.

21 Cermak

It serves Mercy Hospital and there is a lot of industry near the river between Canal and Ashland.

12 Roosevelt

It would really help those on the west side on work late night shifts.

#28 Stony Island or #15 Jeffery there is a lack of night owl service in the southeast.

#8 Halsted

There are a lot of late night places on Halsted including bars and clubs in Lincoln Park, Lake View, Greek Town, University Village, There are 2 hospitals along Halsted Children's Memorial Hospital and Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. There is also a lot of industry on the south side between Pershing and 47th.

The South Side could really benefit from all night service along Halsted because there are more people who work probably late nights shifts.

Also there is no north-south Owl bus route west of Western Avenue that runs south of the Forest Park branch of the Blue Line. How bout Pulaski or Kedzie?

There is also no east-west owl bus service north of Lawrence or south of 95th. What do you recommend?

An easy choice:

Route #50 Damen: Owl Service from the route #145 Brown Line "L" loop on the north to the Pink Line "L" Polk station on the south.

Traffic generators: Hospitals at both terminii; restaurants, taverns, and nightclubs at several points along Damen Ave. (Irving Park, North | Milwaukee, Division).

I don't see why the #77 doesn't run all night from Cumberland. It's one of the most populated routes at night. It has quite a few riders on the west end that seem to go to Harlem. Also by having no service on the west end, it leaves everyone out of luck. They should have at least one route come west, maybe they could attract more customers.

I would add the 3 King Drive. It was supposed to get owl service when CTA first conceived the idea of cutting owl service on the Green Line. Not only did they eventually cut Green Line owl service, they reneged on replacing SSM service with the King DRive owl. As it stands now

The northside has 151 Sheridan and 22 Clark owl service alongside the Red Line

The SW side has N62 alongside the Orange Line.

The N20 runs near the west side Blue and Green Line and actually runs along Lake in Oak Park between Austin and Harlem .

N60 runs near Pink Line.

N201 runs parallel to Purple Line.

One could argue the N4 runs near the Green Line, but south of 35th, it is further from the Green Line than any of the aforementioned owl routes are from the other lines, save for the N62 at Western and Kedzie Orange Line stations and the King Drive Cottage Green Line stations

An earlier post noted there is no east west owl between Madison and Garfield or south of 95th. There is no north-south owl east of Cottage Grove north of 63rd, none east of Ashland between 63rd and 95th (except N5) , and only the 34 south of 95th (city limits from Western to the Indiana state line and only 1 owl route, no east- west owl south of 95th)

I don't see why the #77 doesn't run all night from Cumberland. It's one of the most populated routes at night. It has quite a few riders on the west end that seem to go to Harlem. Also by having no service on the west end, it leaves everyone out of luck. They should have at least one route come west, maybe they could attract more customers.

It could be because of the lack of riders along that end at that time of night. I personally have worked the last thru trip from Cumberland to Halsted (until 0402 am) that leaves Cumberland at 0150 am....and didn't pick up a single passenger until at least east of Narragansett...if that. Mind you, there also is no north-sound connecting bus on the western extremities at that time either (another argueing reason to restore night owl service on the 85 or even the 54 as another member has said). Now someone had mentioned running it at least to Harlem, but for that amount of running time between Octavia and Cumberland at that hour....you might as well just run it thru. I also don't think the people living in the apartment next to the Octavia loop would like the sound of a bus idling at 2 in the morning either.

Of course...with the latter being so close in proximity to the 53 (which has owl service), I don't see it happening...at least there is a good 16 blocks between Central and Pulaski (not that Madison or Chicago are far apart).

I could see the 151 being cut back to Belmont/Halsted during the nite owl period...connect to the 77 at Halsted (since those two technically don't connect at all, walking distance to the elevated...let the 22 carry passengers on north as it already is doing.

I wonder if the 88 Higgins is missing owl service since it was cut in 1992 :P

It could be because of the lack of riders along that end at that time of night. I personally have worked the last thru trip from Cumberland to Halsted (until 0402 am) that leaves Cumberland at 0150 am....and didn't pick up a single passenger until at least east of Narragansett...if that. Mind you, there also is no north-sound connecting bus on the western extremities at that time either (another argueing reason to restore night owl service on the 85 or even the 54 as another member has said). Now someone had mentioned running it at least to Harlem, but for that amount of running time between Octavia and Cumberland at that hour....you might as well just run it thru. I also don't think the people living in the apartment next to the Octavia loop would like the sound of a bus idling at 2 in the morning either.

Of course...with the latter being so close in proximity to the 53 (which has owl service), I don't see it happening...at least there is a good 16 blocks between Central and Pulaski (not that Madison or Chicago are far apart).

I could see the 151 being cut back to Belmont/Halsted during the nite owl period...connect to the 77 at Halsted (since those two technically don't connect at all, walking distance to the elevated...let the 22 carry passengers on north as it already is doing.

I wonder if the 88 Higgins is missing owl service since it was cut in 1992 :P

About the #77, it seems to me a waste to go through sending a bus around the loop ( Laramie, diversey, Central back to Belmont) about 12 blocks, when you could use those blocks to get you to at least Narragansett. Alot of late night owl service took a hit across the city a few years back. I'm surprised some of it hasn't been restored in one way or another.

Alot of late night owl service took a hit across the city a few years back. I'm surprised some of it hasn't been restored in one way or another.
The one logical problem, is that while a transit authority can use IBS or CD to determine quite reliably where people get on the bus, and at least now justify cutting a route, you can't to reinstate service once it is cut. Hence, they have to use consultants to take surveys about supposed demand. That is basically why I take the position that if a route (or night service) is cut, there has to be evidence of a new traffic generator to support bringing it back (or at least a JARC grant).

About the #77, it seems to me a waste to go through sending a bus around the loop ( Laramie, diversey, Central back to Belmont) about 12 blocks, when you could use those blocks to get you to at least Narragansett. Alot of late night owl service took a hit across the city a few years back. I'm surprised some of it hasn't been restored in one way or another.

Or it would make more sense to have the bus continue to the next block west of Central (Major), then loop Major, Parkside, Central back to Belmont as the streets are wide. I've never understood the 12 block loop either.

An easy choice:

Route #50 Damen: Owl Service from the route #145 Brown Line "L" loop on the north to the Pink Line "L" Polk station on the south.

Traffic generators: Hospitals at both terminii; restaurants, taverns, and nightclubs at several points along Damen Ave. (Irving Park, North | Milwaukee, Division).

But if you run it all the way thru as is you could provide a connection to the N22 at Edgewater. Otherwise, the transfer link is cut.

8 Halsted has 24 Hour 'regular' service... it runs all hours of the day, thus not needing "N" Owl service...same as the 79 and 49 for example. ... We know it runs all hours of the day..also, not needing "N" Owl service. Its just continued regular serviced scheduled between 20-30 minutes a part.

An instructor explained the owl service as, ... the "N" means, the service is modified somehow,...either shortened, extended, or special routing, and that means the actual route has suspended for the night, and supplemental additional service comes and take place of that existing line until it starts back up...

when this happens...the "N"xx starts. Like N62, for example...that line goes all over the world at late night, as opposed to its regular routing in the day. But the 79, 49, and 8 are still the same at any time of the day.

I do agree though... the 12 Roosevelt should be an owl bus. Even the 82 Kimball-Homan should be all night as well. The 126 Jackson & 7 Harrison doesnt need owl service, since its so close to the Blue Line..but Roosevelt should have service.

I think the X49 should have seven day service...and be extended to at least 10PM or 12AM Midnight...since the X80 runs on weekends...and I really dont see the need to why...but whatever...why not Western? X79 would be nice too...but thats pushing it. At least add artics to the 79 line.

8 Halsted has 24 Hour 'regular' service... it runs all hours of the day, thus not needing "N" Owl service...same as the 79 and 49 for example. ... We know it runs all hours of the day..also, not needing "N" Owl service. Its just continued regular serviced scheduled between 20-30 minutes a part.

An instructor explained the owl service as, ... the "N" means, the service is modified somehow,...either shortened, extended, or special routing, and that means the actual route has suspended for the night, and supplemental additional service comes and take place of that existing line until it starts back up...

when this happens...the "N"xx starts. Like N62, for example...that line goes all over the world at late night, as opposed to its regular routing in the day. But the 79, 49, and 8 are still the same at any time of the day.

How would the instructor explain the Nxx designation of the 49, 55, 63, 79, and 81 then considering they don't have the owl service modifications that the other owl routes have?

I have a feeling, at least with regard to 8, that while it runs most of the night, it doesn't run all night, as far as CTA is concerned. The schedule page shows a gap from 1:20 to 2:45 northbound, and 2:20 to 4:05 southbound.

My impression of how Owl was defined in the 1997 cutbacks was that it ran every 30 minutes all night.

#28 Stony Island or #15 Jeffery there is a lack of night owl service in the southeast.

There is no real need for the 28 or 15 to be owl routes since they already run till between 2:30-3am. Plus the southeast side already has the N5 as supplemental service for southeast routes. I feel that routes such as #29, 47, 103, that run past 2am should be considered owl routes. Also I think routes such as #3, 8, 12, 35, 36, 50, 54, 71 (to 73/exchange), 82, 85, 119, and 155 Devon should be owl routes.