Longitudinal (Bowling Alley?) Seats on Archer/Rockwell Novas

geneking7320

On 10/22/05 I happened to ride an eastbound 35th St bus which had all side facing seats in the low floor section. It appears to be a test. Has anyone else here ridden this bus? [unfortunately I don't remember the number]

I also wonder how many buses have been set up like this and whether the New Flyer buses on order will be impacted by the test results.

Gene King

Remember the old days when passenger comfort was the most important. Now it seems that you're destined to stand. I realize some seating reconfiguration was needed for wheelchairs, but all of this test on L cars and buses to the "sidewinder" seats is bogus. Long live the day of 50 seaters, forever gone !!!!!!!

One of the fallacies in the promotion of the longitudinal seating in the L cars was that the number of seats was the same. Yes, if compared to the 1+2 seating on the 3200s, but not compared to the 2+2 seating on the other cars.

The combination of wheelchair places and low floor buses has reduced seating, especially 3 seats that were on top of each front wheelwell of high floor buses. The layout diagrams of some of the 30 foot midbuses indicate that they can put seats there (such as in this picture from ElDorado National); maybe lower wheel wells for smaller tires?