Metra to Rockford, DeKalb

west towns

Would Metra ever extend to Rockford and DeKalb if legislation action requires them to operate? Metra fought bikes and trains and taking credit cards and low and behold the threat of legislative action changed their minds.

Only question is who would pay for the operating funds, what if the state paid it?

Only question is who would pay for the operating funds, what if the state paid it?
Well, that is the question, who would pay for it, since those places are not in RTA territory. Also the capital cost of upgrading the rails, providing additional cars, etc.

The task would be similar to the original plan to extend service in the Southeast Wisconsin corridor (between Milwaukee and Kenosha), and the last I heard, Wisconsin had given up on extended Metra and was looking into running its own service (with DMU cars). It doesn't look like the KRM site has been updated in 2 years.

And if you are suggesting an unfunded mandate, that's the last thing we need.

I wrote a term paper about expanding service to NIU in 2005.

Where it comes down to, the farmers and the rural communities (outside of DeKalb and Sycamore) are not going to pay for it. Yeah, you have a good deal of the population coming from the 6-county region, but the demand isn't really there, sadly.

As for Rockford, I think that's part of the Blackhawk Line (maybe its something different, I stand corrected) that's supposed to head toward Dubuque. That's not for at least another 10 years.

Ive read Rockford's newspaper and they seem to show considerable interest in commuter rail service linking Chicago. They have provided funding for studies to evaluate the need for commuter rail to their city. I believe Rockford will get rail service eventually. I think it would help both Chicago and Rockford. I think the interurban is making a comeback! :)

I wrote a term paper about expanding service to NIU in 2005.

Where it comes down to, the farmers and the rural communities (outside of DeKalb and Sycamore) are not going to pay for it. Yeah, you have a good deal of the population coming from the 6-county region, but the demand isn't really there, sadly.

As for Rockford, I think that's part of the Blackhawk Line (maybe its something different, I stand corrected) that's supposed to head toward Dubuque. That's not for at least another 10 years.

I know that Huskie Line provides a bus on Fridays to Elburn to connect with UP-West and there is a return connection Sunday evening. I suppose (though I don't know) Greyhound must've given up on those weekend Student Specials and this is one way to get service to the campus. The question is does Greyhound still have that depot just off of Third in downtown DeKalb?

Back to the topic. I think it is a hard sell. First, UP would have to be agreeable to it, and with its heavy freight traffic, I think not. Second, what would be the cost to build side tracks and a station at Annie Glidden Rd and a possible additional station at First? Third, I look at the SWS extension to Manhattan that was touted, but there are only really two A.M. trains that leave from there? While i certainly would welcome that idea, I don't think it is financially feasible and (unless there was some level of express service) the demand is not there to justify the service.

I know that Huskie Line provides a bus on Fridays to Elburn to connect with UP-West and there is a return connection Sunday evening. I suppose (though I don't know) Greyhound must've given up on those weekend Student Specials and this is one way to get service to the campus. The question is does Greyhound still have that depot just off of Third in downtown DeKalb?

Back to the topic. I think it is a hard sell. First, UP would have to be agreeable to it, and with its heavy freight traffic, I think not. Second, what would be the cost to build side tracks and a station at Annie Glidden Rd and a possible additional station at First? Third, I look at the SWS extension to Manhattan that was touted, but there are only really two A.M. trains that leave from there? While i certainly would welcome that idea, I don't think it is financially feasible and (unless there was some level of express service) the demand is not there to justify the service.

I'll try to answer this in order:

• The Elburn Shuttle runs twice Friday and thrice on Sundays. Somewhat cheaper than greyhound if done correctly.
  • Greyhound still has the student shuttles during the school year. They're inconsistent because they need at least two buses (sometimes three) just to cover the distance to Iowa (you have Aurora, NIU, COE and Augustana, Iowa and Iowa State). Plus your normal loads, some people (including me, twice lifetime) have stood up with only the one bus.
  • Greyhound moved the depot to Lukalo's on 38 and Annie Glidden.
  • There are at least 40 trains that run through DeKalb in a single day, you'd need a third track to cover the distance west of Elburn.
  • The discussion of the additional station wouldn't be at Annie Glidden--it would be Downtown at the old depot on 6th Street next to the McDonalds.
  • The County Farmers wouldn't want to pay for it, either. There's a better shot to send it to Rockford.

I'll try to answer this in order:
  • The Elburn Shuttle runs twice Friday and thrice on Sundays. Somewhat cheaper than greyhound if done correctly.
  • Greyhound still has the student shuttles during the school year. They're inconsistent because they need at least two buses (sometimes three) just to cover the distance to Iowa (you have Aurora, NIU, COE and Augustana, Iowa and Iowa State). Plus your normal loads, some people (including me, twice lifetime) have stood up with only the one bus.
  • Greyhound moved the depot to Lukalo's on 38 and Annie Glidden.
  • There are at least 40 trains that run through DeKalb in a single day, you'd need a third track to cover the distance west of Elburn.
  • The discussion of the additional station wouldn't be at Annie Glidden--it would be Downtown at the old depot on 6th Street next to the McDonalds.
  • The County Farmers wouldn't want to pay for it, either. There's a better shot to send it to Rockford.

When I used to ride the student special, it was its own bus from downtown straight to DeKalb, or the one from 95th and Dan Ryan station stopped at Chicago Ridge Mall, and Oak Brook Center before expressing to Dekalb. It was trying to catch a regularly scheduled 'Hound from downtown on a Sunday night where at least 2 or 3 buses were needed. One bus would express to Des Moines and one bus would run local at least to Moline or Davenport.