A Lost Metra Train?

BusHunter

I just got through seeing a Metra train on what I think is the soo line at north avenue heading north at about 3:23 P.M. These are the tracks just west of 25th avenue at North avenue in Melrose Park that travel in a NE/SW direction. It was out of service and was creeping at about 10 -15 mph with it's bell ringing. It only had three passenger cars all dark, the rear being #8515 and the engine was #161 if that helps to place the train for those who know. A weird site. Further up the line at Grand it stopped and sat on the bridge there waiting for signals at the interchange between the Wisconsin Central and Milwaukee West line. It would've made a nice picture. I wonder if this is something regular that happens or was this a one time deal.

From the car number, it appears to be a Milw car (the UP cab cars are usually 8400s), but the North Central and Milw W. are connected.

The North Central generally uses UP type equipment (i.e. 8400s and 6000s) unless things changed lately.

Of course, where you put it is south of the North Central and Milw. W junction. So, strange.

From the car number, it appears to be a Milw car (the UP cab cars are usually 8400s), but the North Central and Milw W. are connected.

The North Central generally uses UP type equipment (i.e. 8400s and 6000s) unless things changed lately.

Of course, where you put it is south of the North Central and Milw. W junction. So, strange.

The vibe I got off it, was that it was either a loan or train recently repaired at an outside shop returning for service, somewhat like what Carol Stream is to the CTA. It sure was strange seeing it pass a stopped soo line freight at North av. with it's creeping speed it was like the engineer wasn't sure of himself, like going down a road for the first time. I don't know how familiar the signaling would be to them being on foreign territory. You also have to think about the track speed restrictions, (freights are not doing 50 mph in the city most likely) There was a freight yard there from the look down from the 25th avenue bridge which would make it more complicated than just a straight running track and the switches were probably not programmed for Metra that's for sure!! :lol:

It only had three passenger cars all dark, the rear being #8515 and the engine was #161 if that helps to place the train for those who know. A weird site.

Definitely a weird site, indeed. The cab would normally be on the Milwaukee District,

but the engine assigned to the UP. If there are any equipment transfers between the

UP and the Milwaukee, they are done at Cal Ave (UP) to Western Ave (Milw). This

sounds more like someone either chartered the train, or more likely some sort of

fact finding expedition.

Also, an engineer needs to be qualified on the railroad they operate on. If they are

not, they are required to have a pilot (usually a conductor or engineer of the railroad

being operated on), or have an engineer of the said railroad operate the train. Therefore,

it was most likely not a UP or Metra at the controls at the time you saw it.