NF expressway sightings (in Chicago)

BusHunter

Saw what I think was a NF on Sunday evening passing just north of Foster SB on the Kennedy expressway about 7:00 P.M. It was a 60 footer restyled bus painted with an orange stripe around the headlight area (kind of like a mississauga bus) but the rest of the bus appeared a straight white color. It had the words "test Bus" on the destination in front and 60LFRGA or E on the rear destination. (not sure on the last two letters.) It had a different headlight design. It was big and square flush with the body not like the restyled NF buses Mississauga currently is receiving. (with the smaller circular shaped ones) The headlights were not like the excelsior more like a square box. Maybe it was a test bus headed for Altoona,PA?

I happened to see this same bus heading eastbound on the Indiana Toll Road near Hammond at around 8pm on Sunday. Didn't get a good look at the front design, but the color and headsign matched your description.

I couldn't really see if there was a bus number, the last few nights on the Kennedy around 7:00 P.M. have been kind of dark because the streetlamps are being cut on late (due to coming of fall with an earlier sunset time around here), but I got good views of the front and rear of the bus. It was nice seeing a restyled bus in Chicago even though it wasn't on the city streets.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, If New Flyer (or any bus manufacturer) builds buses for a TA half way across the country, why are they driven? vs. waiting for a few to be built and shipping them on a flatcar via rail?

That's a very good question. I take it that shipping the busses must be much more expensive than hiring a service to drive them. I thought I'd heard that when SF Muni leased Mack buses (many years ago) those buses were shipped on flat cars.

Gene King

• 11 years later...