Weekend Pass

artthouwill

This past weekend I purchased a $5 Weekend Pass (which I normally do anyway), but this time I purchased one from the vending machine on the ME. I didn't even know this could be done. You should've seen the strange looks I got from conductors on the diesel lines when I used it. They closely inspected the ticket, though none gave me a problem. It actually looks like a ten ride ticket, but there's a strip on the side that has the dates and weekend on the ticket. It is not a paper ticket, but like a card. Since the diesel lines rarely if ever see these tickets, I guess they also have to read the back to make sure that it is indeed a Metra ticket. This weekend I rode the RI and the UP lines with it. Normally I purchase a pass either from Union station or on the train. I will have to purchasse another pass on the ME and see what responses I get on MD and BNSF.

This is interesting, not so much because any Metra line (except the South Shore) has to accept the Weekend Pass, but that they are available at the machines. On most of the other lines, the stations are closed and the conductor sells the passes. I wonder if someone on the ME would be subject to the $2 (soon to be $5) surcharge if they bypassed the machine.

This is interesting, not so much because any Metra line (except the South Shore) has to accept the Weekend Pass, but that they are available at the machines. On most of the other lines, the stations are closed and the conductor sells the passes. I wonder if someone on the ME would be subject to the $2 (soon to be $5) surcharge if they bypassed the machine.

On the row for fare types, you could choose OW, RT, 10 Ride, Monthly, and there was one more button for Weekend Pass. You still had to choose a destination on the upper bank of buttons (zones).

Makes you wonder why they haven't installed machines on the Metra lines that it operates on its own (MD, NCS, HC,SWS, RI).

They don't surcharge the weekend passes at all, even on the diesel lines if you bypass the agent at Unon station or Oglivie or even Millenium.

Makes you wonder why they haven't installed machines on the Metra lines that it operates on its own (MD, NCS, HC,SWS, RI).

The ME is just legacy from the IC, although the machines have been replaced, and the more recently removed fare control barriers.

The question is whether all the talk about the universal smart card forces Metra to install machines elsewhere, but it is obvious that it won't spend the money to do so unless forced.

I actually don't mind buying it from the conductor, but it definitely would make it more convenient if all Metra stations had the machines, especially outside the building. I wish they would accept credit cards. Many weekends I went to the Geneva station (UP-W) its ticket counters are closed.

• 3 months later...

Weekend tickets have always been available at the vending machines on the Electric. However, you can only purchase them on a Saturday or Sunday, not other days of the week like you can at a ticket agent. Yes, you can purchase a weekend ticket during the week at a ticket window, and if you are not sure of which weekend you will actually use it, once you board a train the crew is supposed to punch out the date of the applicable weekend.

As for the cash on board, hasn't been a problem in the least. The real difference is that my changers have become obsolete, since all I need are quarters to make change.

There are no surcharges for weekend tickets purchased on board trains (although there should be).

As for the cash on board, hasn't been a problem in the least. The real difference is that my changers have become obsolete, since all I need are quarters to make change.

Don't count on that yet. Say I get eligible for half fare, and pay the $2.25 with two ones and three dimes. Also, the station's agent isn't on duty, which gets us to...

There are no surcharges for weekend tickets purchased on board trains (although there should be).

Basically, since the station agents aren't at the outlying stations on the weekend, you couldn't. I guess that the ME would be the one exception to that rule, given the fare machines.

Don't count on that yet. Say I get eligible for half fare, and pay the $2.25 with two ones and three dimes. Also, the station's agent isn't on duty, which gets us to...

Basically, since the station agents aren't at the outlying stations on the weekend, you couldn't. I guess that the ME would be the one exception to that rule, given the fare machines.

I have had the 3 dimes for a quarter thing, so that is why I keep a supply of nickles in my pocket. But to date, it has happened only once so far.

As for the weekends, yes, obviously, most outlying stations are closed, especially on Sunday. However, no excuse for someone not purchasing a ticket, no matter what line, at a downtown station. That is where I feel the $3 should be charged for a weekend ticket purchase on board. Also, a $3 charge for a B zone ticket is a little bit ludicrus, since the fare is only $2.50...that is a little excessive. But it is what it is.