Low Floor RTS

sw4400

You are both wrong. NovaBus sold its N.M. plant to Millennium Transit Services LLC, which was organized by some former officers of Volvo Truck. Nova still owns its LFS operations in Quebec, but has withdrawn from the FTA supported  market. Look at the Millennium Transit--The RTS is back thread and follow the links.

• 1 month later...

Btw i just found out that millenium just won a bid for boston to produce some buses.

Apparently not; New Flyer just announced that it won the contract. While the GMC Truck site containing the pictures said Millennium was the apparent low bidder, a Boston roster site subsequently reported that on further review, it was not, but that site has since been revised to state:
85 additional diesel buses were ordered from Neoplan as an option to the original order for 175 buses. Because of financial difficulties, Neoplan could only build 18 of these buses for a grand total of 193 (0401-0593).

On December 8, 2005, the MBTA Board of Directors approved a contract with New Flyer for 155 low-floor diesel buses for delivery in late 2006/early 2007.

This is about the same as NABI announcing that it was the apparent low bidder for the CTA bus procurement in 2003, but it actually went to New Flyer in 2004. Being the apparent low bidder doesn't mean you have the contract.

This is about the same as NABI announcing that it was the apparent low bidder for the CTA bus procurement in 2003, but it actually went to New Flyer in 2004. Being the apparent low bidder doesn't mean you have the contract.

I made this theory while discussing contracting in my public policy class. And its true in most forms; that even though you have a company with the lowest bidder, almost could mean that they have the contract, depending on the quality of service they have given in the past. You may want a company to deliver the lowest bid, but at the same time, you want the type of quality in the buses that you are recieving. Sometimes the lowest bid doesn't deliver the high quality you expect, depending on financial difficulties, product quality, etc.

Now whether or not the theory applies to NABI with the CTA, or NeoPlan with Boston could be factored.

-Dave

you're right. millennium only produces the rts "legend" and the extreme which is the low-floor model. There is talk about a smaller bus that they are trying to produce, but i haven't seen any pics of it yet.

MTS also makes the "Express" wide-front-door suburban.

• 2 weeks later...

Truthfully, I have not ridden a New Flyer bus in years.  they have not ever bid low enough to produce buses for Pittsburgh. So the last time I rode one is in 1995 when they had a test D60lf here for free when they first introduced it.

It was a very nice and very fast bus. But the only problem was that the drivers Hated that bus. I believe if that bus was never tested here, we would have bought them. That's the last bus I've ever seen tested in pgh ever since.

The newest buses that we have here are the Neoplan An460's that are being delivered as i'm typing this now.  I don't know if the last one has been delivered yet, But I know we just got another one this week. Just maybe we might have the last one ever.........maybe.

I know, I know I'm not from Chicago, but i have nowhere else to share this information. I'm happy that everyone here lets me do this. This is a very nice bus and subway forum.

Thank-You

• 1 year later...