New Lines?

Buslover88

• 3 months later...

Yes, There is a new line coming this Summer, This is part of the West Side Corridor changes being done by the CTA, The new line [not yet named] will run from 54/Cermak station, over the Paulina Connector, joining the Green Line, making all stops to downtown, then circle the Loop back to 54/Cermak.

* Some rush hour trains will still to go to O'hare Airport.

Yes, There is a new line coming this Summer, This is part of the West Side Corridor changes being done by the CTA, The new line [not yet named] will run from 54/Cermak station, over the Paulina Connector, joining the Green Line, making all stops to downtown, then circle the Loop back to 54/Cermak.

As for the routing of this new line in the Loop, it will operate clockwise around the Inner Loop, like the current Loop routing of the Orange Line. Brown Line trains, having a heavier ridership than either the Orange Line or the soon-to-be-named line, will have the Outer Loop all to themselves.

As for the routing of this new line in the Loop, it will operate clockwise around the Inner Loop, like the current Loop routing of the Orange Line. Brown Line trains, having a heavier ridership than either the Orange Line or the soon-to-be-named line, will have the Outer Loop all to themselves.

I'd like to see how congested this will get. On a rush hour, you'll have green, orange, purple, and now [silver] on that inner track...

...was there ever a problem with the loop shuttle during the 70's? I know we lacked a southwest line at the time, but now that you've added trains and another line, this may call to attention about the issue of congestion.

I'd like to see how congested this will get. On a rush hour, you'll have green, orange, purple, and now [silver] on that inner track...

During the rush hours, some [silver] Line trains will continue to be routed into the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway to O'Hare Airport. Thus, the added congestion in the Loop will be minimal at best.

...was there ever a problem with the loop shuttle during the 70's? I know we lacked a southwest line at the time, but now that you've added trains and another line, this may call to attention about the issue of congestion.

In the 70s, you also had the Lake Dan Ryan line on the Lake and Wabash segments of the Loop, and it was much busier than the current Green Line (8 car trains every 3 minutes). The Loop Shuttle was necessary to get riders from Wells to Clark and Lake to transfer to the Dan Ryan. The Orange Line serves whatever need for that remains today.

I wouldn't say trouble, except for the 1977 crash at Wabash and Lake, which was apparently caused by overloading because the Inner Loop was closed, and the operator ignoring the cab signal.

Compared to the 70s, the L Loop is empty today, and I don't understand all the talke about it being "at capacity" (at least after the swap of the Dan Ryan and the old South Side segments).

Also see the prior discussion on the "highly conceptual" plan to interline the Brown Line with the Orange and Cermak (the latter part of the Brown Line on the map), which might eliminate congestion but make the Loop Shuttle again necessary. Also, I don't know if the contest for the color for the Cermak line makes the conceptual plan unlikely.