New Relief Points

berthapegues

Since Archer is gone, and routes have either been transfered to or shared with different garages, what are the relief points and where do the drivers felieve for all routes and for what garage they're assigned to ? **** IF I MADE ANY MISTAKES PLEASE CORRECT ME! THANK YOU ****

You can check the garage section on this site. Kevin updated them earlier today. As for relief points it would be the street or bus terminal closest aligned to the garage location. For instance 35, 39 and 43 are now at 77th so the relief point would likely be the Dan Ryan Red Line station those routes serve.

You can check the garage section on this site. Kevin updated them earlier today. As for relief points it would be the street or bus terminal closest aligned to the garage location. For instance 35, 39 and 43 are now at 77th so the relief point would likely be the Dan Ryan Red Line station those routes serve.

jajuan basically has it correct. It either is at a terminal (the main purposes of route 106 and 85 north of Jefferson Park are to get the drivers from the garages to 95th or Jefferson Park respectively), or the main cross streets from the garage. Someone surmised a couple of weeks ago that the three routes jajuan listed would probably go to 77, since they could relieve via the Red Line, and today somebody reported that they saw such a relief. 74th Garage is a bit tricky, since west of there they basically can only relieve via 79th, and, on the cross town routes, relieve via Ashland.

I had said a couple of days ago that 6 assigned to 77th made sense because the terminal was at 79th, and if it moves to 103, the relief point probably would have to change to 67th and Jeffery. Since it is reported that the garage did change to 103, someone on the South Side will have to confirm whether my guess is correct.

And, to go along with Andre saying he goes back, I remember when I rode the 1 Drexel Hyde Park, and one driver would get off at that intersection, another would get on, and crank up the run box (back in the day when it had four rollers, something else that went into history on the CTA this weekend).

• 2 weeks later...

For 74th drivers, 49 Western drivers relieve at 79th/Western Terminal. For North Park drivers, 49 Western drivers relieve at either Foster & Western or at Western/Berwyn Terminal. And can somebody explain why 49 Western runs out of North Park garage ?

Because

• Archer is closed
  • It seems to me that a garage at Foster (5200N) is real close to Berwyn (5300N). Google Map*
  • It worked in 1975, and, dab gum, it should work now. (Of course, like in 1975, it is also served by then 69th, now 74th).

*Looking over that map, I wonder why the drivers' toilet is labeled "Continental Care Center."Apparently it is a half block north.

That makes sense for the Kedzie runs, but what about the 74th street runs? I can see the logic for having one relief point but for the 74th runs Archer & Ashland would be better.

Right that would only make sense for the Kedzie runs only. Don't forget that during the weekdays 74th also has runs on 62. And yes 49 is operated by NP with 74th because Archer is closed. As pointed out, before the route got assigned to Archer in 1995, NP was one of the home garages along with 69th which today is 74th garage.

It seems to me that there would be no reliefs on Archer at all for 74th runs based on the fact that they've been only spotted on PM rush runs. One poster alluded to a 74th Archer run turning into a 29 State bus. More than likely those are split shifts OR they are interlined with something, possibly out of Midway and are probably pullouts/ins. In the case of a 74th running 29 State, that bus could conceivably do a relief at 79th/State (being accessible from 74th garage via the 75th bus serving the 79th/Red Line station).

It seems to me that there would be no reliefs on Archer at all for 74th runs based on the fact that they've been only spotted on PM rush runs. One poster alluded to a 74th Archer run turning into a 29 State bus. More than likely those are split shifts OR they are interlined with something, possibly out of Midway and are probably pullouts/ins. In the case of a 74th running 29 State, that bus could conceivably do a relief at 79th/State (being accessible from 74th garage via the 75th bus serving the 79th/Red Line station).

That depends on how long the operator had the bus on the street before it became a 62. And it's not entirely true that the 74th runs on 62 were only spotted in PM rush. I myself spotted them in the evening hours as well, some hours after the PM rush ends.

That depends on how long the operator had the bus on the street before it became a 62. And it's not entirely true that the 74th runs on 62 were only spotted in PM rush. I myself spotted them in the evening hours as well, some hours after the PM rush ends.

Correct. 74th operates some of the weekday 62 bus runs from the beginning of the PM rush period into the mid-evening hours.

• 3 months later...

If possible, can I get a list of relief points on routes with assigned garages ?

You can get the route garage assignements from the garage section of this site. The relief points in general are the closest main streets, bus terminals, or CTA rail stations on the given route that parallel the assigned garage of that route. For example the 36 (assigned to North Park) relief point is Broadway/Foster, the 35 and 39 (both from 77th) relieve at the 35th/Red Line station, route 82's Kedzie assigned runs relieve at Homan/Jackson while its North Park runs should relieve at Kimball/Foster, Chicago garage east-west routes tend to relieve at their respective intersecting Pulaski stops, route 12 relieves at Roosevelt/Kedzie and route 146 relieves at its Berwyn/Red Line terminus.