The end is near

Kevin

This could (potentially) complicate transfers from Pace to CTA.

More than likely, Pace will also eliminate the transfers, since the CTA will no longer need them (Pace has been using CTA's transfer cards since they've adopted electronic fare collection). Instead, Pace will issue punched (non-electronic) paper transfers valid only on Pace - the very same paper transfer that Pace routes operated by Laidlaw used until those routes just recently adopted electronic fare collection. Therefore, riders transferring from Pace to CTA must pay a second full or reduced fare when boarding a CTA bus or train if they paid their fare with cash.

Funny knowing that CTA was gung ho about this, but left out the situation with PACE. I'm going to agree with the theory that transfers to Pace will be forced to pay another fare...suppose that Pace transfers will still operate and will be still valid on CTA.

Yep. Without any transfers issued to cash-paying riders, transfers to Pace will require yet another fare. But CTA riders who often transfer to Pace or vice-versa - as well as those who take multiple CTA and/or Pace routes to get to their destinations - can avoid having to paying a second fare by purchasing a thin, flexible plastic, rechargeable Transit Card from a vending machine at CTA rail stations. (A full rail fare, which will be $2.00 as of 1 January 2006, is required for the initial purchase of the card.) The fare deducted from a Transit Card will go up to $2.00 if the "first" ride is used at a rail station, but will remain $1.75 if the "first" ride is used on a bus. A 25-cent transfer fee will still be deducted on the "second" ride, and no fee will be deducted on the "third" ride (after which it goes back to the "first" ride).

Cash-paying CTA riders will pay $2.00 for the full fare on either bus or rail.

Until a year ago, Pace did not accept the CTA Chicago Card Plus (which requires a credit card account for purchase or recharge) or the Chicago Card (essentially a "smart" version of the Transit Card). That is due to the fact that many Pace routes are operated by third-party companies, many of those which operated buses that weren't equipped to handle electronic fare handling until recently.

Until a year ago, Pace did not accept the CTA Chicago Card Plus (which requires a credit card account for purchase or recharge) or the Chicago Card (essentially a "smart" version of the Transit Card). That is due to the fact that many Pace routes are operated by third-party companies, many of those which operated buses that weren't equipped to handle electronic fare handling until recently.

Pace began accepting the Chicago Card and Chicago Card Plus on all routes, with the exception of #835, at the same time as CTA. All Pace buses have been equipped with the same farebox technology as CTA (GFI for cash, Cubic for magnetic/smartcards) for many years.

You have to realize that Pace is totally dependent on the CTA for survival. So much of their ridership comes from CTA. Therefore, without a doubt, Pace will adopt the CTA fare structure. They tried to do different once before and took a major ridership hit. I am sure the bean counters in Arlington Heights will use this as a way to increase fares and eliminate transfers themselves and see this as a revenue boom. Their reasoning will be something to the effect of "it will become too difficult to have separate structers, therefore in order to conform with a universal fare base, we are forced to make this change and we regret having to do so".  Yeah, right...remember, you saw it here first.

They have been a monkey see, monkey do agency for a long time. Take my word for it, it will happen and it will probably be sooner rather than later.

Although Pace has made that announcement, there are two other factors that indicate that trainman is right that Pace fares will eventually go up:

• The Times (formerly the Hammond Times) had an article that NICTD fares will be rising 5%, because it doesn't want Illinois riders going to Indiana stations (also, besides the reasons listed, decreasing the subsidy from Metra).
  • The Pace announcement also said that it would later have to deal with the effect of CTA doing away with cash transfers.

I don't know what arrangements CTA, RTA, and Pace have with regard to transfers. I was of the opinion that if the other agencies raise fares, Pace shouldn't be sacrificing its capital program to maintain the current fare levels, unless it is really convinced that it would lose more ridership. There is nothing stopping the Board from proposing a fare increase in July, for instance.

P.S. Hilkevitch's column today indicated that CTA hadn't completely thought through the current unavailability of Chicago Cards for reduced fare riders.

• 3 weeks later...

The Daily Herald had an article Pace-to-CTA riders will see fares double saying that CTA won't accept Pace transfers after Jan. 1. CTA, of course, won't be issuing transfer cards that could be used on Pace. While one board members is quoted as saying: “Is there a way we can stick it to CTA just like they turned around and stuck it to us and our riders?” there was the time that Pace wouldn't accept CTA short term passes until the RTA paid it $2 million to do so. Again, another situation where regional cooperation (and the RTA properly doing its role) has gone by the wayside.

However, I can see why this happened (and what would lead to Pace eventually raising its fares as trainman8119 said). A cash rider on Milwaukee north of Jefferson Park will have a 50 cent incentive to wait at most 10 more minutes for the 270 instead of taking 56A. There are probably similar situations in the near west suburbs (such as 25/304/322). Of course, this may give CTA a reason to try again to drop those routes.

Update: The noon Fox News had file footage of bus 8023 (in white and yellow) and several similar buses at the Rosemont CTA station (they also had flip dot signs). How old was that?

I have just noticed the signage at the CTA rail turnstiles yesterday. On the date that the elimination of cash transfers takes effect (1 January 2006), the turnstiles at CTA rail stations will no longer accept change.

What this means is that the cash-paying rider wishing to board the 'L' will now be required to purchase a rechargeable Transit Card (sold at vending machines at CTA rail stations) in order to board the 'L'.

... On the date that the elimination of cash transfers takes effect (1 January 2006), the turnstiles at CTA rail stations will no longer accept change.

What this means is that the cash-paying rider wishing to board the 'L' will now be required to purchase a rechargeable Transit Card (sold at vending machines at CTA rail stations) in order to board the 'L'.

While CTA advertised that the turnstyles would take change, I never understood why, since all L stations have Cubic vending machines. Someone told me that it was for reduced fares, but my understanding was that the RTA cards were encoded (maybe that person had an old one).

While CTA advertised that the turnstyles would take change, I never understood why, since all L stations have Cubic vending machines. Someone told me that it was for reduced fares, but my understanding was that the RTA cards were encoded (maybe that person had an old one).

What I said is correct. The change-accepting mechanisms will be permanently taken out of service, forcing all of the CTA's rail turnstiles to accept only electronic fare payments.