Free CTA Rides For Seniors

sw4400

Free CTA Rides For Seniors  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should it continue as is, or be changed?

• Don't change it, all Seniors should ride free
    • Free Rides for those below a certain income, all other Seniors pay half fare
    • Bring it back to the old days... ALL Seniors pay half fare
    • Seniors ride free during non-rush hour periods and on weekends
    • No Free Rides & Seniors must pay full fare at all times

.....According to my friend, things came to a head when the CTA found out that the RTA was sending out the new cards without any information about HOW to use the new cards. CTA jumped in and printed brochures explaining how to use the cards, bought ad time on radio explaining the program, had their own press event to get the attention of seniors and media, and scheduled several days where staff will target stations and buses which have high senior usage. They are passing the brochures out to anyone who will have contacts with seniors: senior centers, elected officials, church groups, and putting them in all stations.

The problem is that this is targeting only CTA customers. Metra and Pace customers are still left underinformed by the RTA. They are probably going to have to rush and spend money to get info out to their senior customers. ....

Seriously?!?!? The RTA sent out the cards without any information on how to use them??? That seems inconceivable.... but I guess not.

Seriously?!?!? The RTA sent out the cards without any information on how to use them??? That seems inconceivable.... but I guess not.

After all, this is the RTA.

If you look at the CTA Tattler today, even that Kevin is railing about an 11 minute video that makes no sense, but the RTA expected seniors to find somewhere on the Internet.

As I posted there, I challenge anyone to document, in concrete terms, some other place having as incompetent transit management as the folks in Chicago--incompetence that costs documented big bucks.

Anyone think the CTA Bus Operators/Rail Station Attendants are going to get an earful from, in addition to those who are confused on how to use the new cards, Senior Citizens who believe they should've gotten the Free Ride still? I predict minor delays on the bus system tomorrow and possibly the next few days as Seniors keep some Operators curbed while they berate them like they're children who got caught doing something they weren't supposed to.

Did the Operator at least explain to the Senior on how to use the card rather than just sit there?

He tried to explain that the card must be inserted, but the senior just wasn't understanding it. The operator eventually just told him he didn't need to use the card until the 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this whole "Seniors Free Ride" Program was fixed, done and over with.... and now somebody wants to stir the pot again!!! (Link)

The way I look at it, someone on the far left always does want to stir the pot. In addition, here you have something from some college newspaper, probably written by someone who has not earned a living on one's own. Maybe someone had to write a paper for Sociology 203.

So, I wouldn't get into a dander over this. Now, if 30 people in the State Senate suddenly bring this back up (not two people who have a bill stuck in committee), then I would be concerned.

For that matter, with the supposed "confusion" on RTA supposedly not doing proper education about the new cards, are we sure that the moratorium is actually over?

• 5 weeks later...

Roeper had a crack you might enjoy. While discussing sending letters to the judge to influence sentencing Blago, Roe made the comment that the governor's job is to do good for the people, and Roeper said that he should give free rides to seniors by getting a bus and personally driving it for three years (presumably as community service). :lol:

Roeper had a crack you might enjoy. While discussing sending letters to the judge to influence sentencing Blago, Roe made the comment that the governor's job is to do good for the people, and Roeper said that he should give free rides to seniors by getting a bus and personally driving it for three years (presumably as community service). :lol:

You want a laugh??? Check this out!!! Write a letter to Judge James Zagel on how good Blagojevich is, and he'll get time reduced from his sentence. One woman wrote "I say Rod for President!!!" *shudders*. There goes the U.S if that ever happened... it'd be the F'ing Golden Land of Opportunity... if you're a F'ing Minority, a F'ing Baby, or a F'ing Senior(excuse the language, but that's the Blagish, the new language of America if he becomes President). I'm just going to put down a few crazy ideas that somebody like he would implement if he was President...

-Senior Citizens get Free Rides on everything... Buses, Trains, Cabs and Planes.

-Minorities and Illegals get more Federal Dollars and Programs(e.g WIC, Food Stamps) to help them out while the Majority suffers with little or none of those Dollars and Programs when they, too, could benefit from it

-Rod R. Blagojevich's B-Day will be a National Holiday, where Banks, Schools, Libraries, etc... are closed.

-Babies and Children get Low-Cost or Free Health Care(I can agree with this program)

-Amend the Constitution where a President can remain in office until he is unfit physically or mentally(I mean really mentally... we all know Blago is mental, but more than that)

-Have his face put on Mt. Rushmore, the brand new 75 Cent Coin he'll have minted, and the $100 Bill, replacing Ben Franklin

-Have the White House painted.... you guessed it.... F'ing Golden

-All Speeches to the American People will end with Poetry or Cowboy Stories. And his catchphrase will be "Walk a mile in my shoes!!!"

-Marine One and Air Force One will become Marine Rod and Air Force Rod

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

CTA has claimed that it loses $40 million a year on free rides.

You'll note that I previously questioned how effective limiting the program to persons matched to the circuit breaker list would be, even though the RTA claimed that 75% didn't match. Having previously looked at the April Finance and Budget Presentations, CTA is now saying:

• On page 2 of the Budget Report: "Free Rides in line with February 2011." On page 3: "Free Rides is 0.8 M less than YTD February 2011."
  • Similarly, in the Financial Report:

Free rides totaled 5.1 million for the month and 10.0 million for the year. This was 0.1 million less than February 2011 and 0.8 million less for the year to date. ... In September 2011, the free ride program for seniors was modified to subject the participants to a means test.

• Page 29 of the 2012 budget says that CTA is expecting only $7 million more revenue a year from ending the program.

I conclude that despite all the political angst over the program, maybe Blago was right--it was not costing CTA in foregone fares what the CTA claimed. Maybe figures later in the year will show differently, but I don't think so.

I conclude that despite all the political angst over the program, maybe Blago was right--it was not costing CTA in foregone fares what the CTA claimed. Maybe figures later in the year will show differently, but I don't think so.

It would, Busjack. The Baby Boomer Generation is reaching retirement age, and that would've meant more and more free rides on the CTA, Metra and PACE, which would've meant more lost revenue from retired boomers that can afford to pay (e.g: retired doctors, lawyers, professors, etc...).

If you can afford the trips, BMW's, Mercedes and Cadillacs, houses, you can afford a $1.00 fee, IMO.

It would, Busjack. The Baby Boomer Generation is reaching retirement age, and that would've meant more and more free rides on the CTA, Metra and PACE, which would've meant more lost revenue from retired boomers that can afford to pay (e.g: retired doctors, lawyers, professors, etc...).

If you can afford the trips, BMW's, Mercedes and Cadillacs, houses, you can afford a $1.00 fee, IMO.

This is just another insult.

I was talking about the supposed $30 to $40 million in lost fares supposedly in each year preceding 2011.

It turns out that it was nothing of the sort.

Although there is the potential for it growing in the future, they did not completely nip it in the bud (and apparently not much at all), and those who have good cars probably live in the suburbs and are losing any reason to ride CTA or come into Chicago. Even before then, those in the now about 75 year old range were talking about getting free Metra rides, but Metra was not complaining.