#4400's TMC Lifetime Assignments, Retirements and other info

BusHunter

The preheater and rehab issue made this too difficult to figure out from the street.

Then you also have to throw in Bill V. saying that there was the swap you note in 1994 to get more air conditioned buses south, which resulted in 4400s to FG. Then after the 6000s showed up, all except 103rd had them, but apparently FG sent back the ones it got from 77th and got mostly different ones. Then there was the preheater swap for the benefit of North Park and the "if you have Novas, you got rid of TMCs."

I have the feeling that Comic Book Guy will say that this is the most scattered series EVER.

The preheater and rehab issue made this too difficult to figure out from the street.

Then you also have to throw in Bill V. saying that there was the swap you note in 1994 to get more air conditioned buses south, which resulted in 4400s to FG. Then after the 6000s showed up, all except 103rd had them, but apparently FG sent back the ones it got from 77th and got mostly different ones. Then there was the preheater swap for the benefit of North Park and the "if you have Novas, you got rid of TMCs."

I have the feeling that Comic Book Guy will say that this is the most scattered series EVER.

You'll be happy to know pg 4 assignments are going to be even more scattered. (maybe a page and a half) This is definitely going to be the longest assignment sheet when it's finished. It's no wonder why I saved it to last.

Here's what I have so far for #4400's assignments. This is still a work in progress. I don't know when i'll finish it. I have included an article preceding pg 3 talking about the pre heaters, somewhat as an explanation why the assignments scatter throughout the garages.

post-304-13056373241922_thumb.jpgpost-304-13056373685258_thumb.jpgpost-304-13056374631972_thumb.jpgpost-304-13056373944935_thumb.jpg

Bushunter, I don't understand the newspaper article about preheaters totally. I know FG got the #6000's and traded out their #5300's and #4400's at that time, but what buses did NP get that had preheaters? In 2001, they had the #5800's(which they had since delivery) and #4400's(which I believe none had the preheaters). I know NP didn't get NOVA's as they were just starting to trickle in at this time and were being sent to retire the Flyers at this time.

Bushunter, I don't understand the newspaper article about preheaters totally. I know FG got the #6000's and traded out their #5300's and #4400's at that time, but what buses did NP get that had preheaters? In 2001, they had the #5800's(which they had since delivery) and #4400's(which I believe none had the preheaters). I know NP didn't get NOVA's as they were just starting to trickle in at this time and were being sent to retire the Flyers at this time.

Pretty much all the #4400's that Fg had on pg 3 assignments had been rehabbed. Np had some that were rehabbed, the higher numbered buses, but most of the low #4400's had yet to get the pre heaters. When I put up a few more pages, when more gets rehabbed, then they'll have a higher ratio of those buses. BTW, If anyone remembers when the novas came in to Fg about 4 or 5 went to NP. (#6756 - #6760, minus #6758) I don't remember if it was because they had a lower ratio of preheated buses or what, but they didn't last more than a month there. I have it documented on nova assignments. (coming soon)

...BTW, If anyone remembers when the novas came in to Fg about 4 or 5 went to NP. (#6756 - #6760, minus #6758) I don't remember if it was because they had a lower ratio of preheated buses or what, but they didn't last more than a month there. I have it documented on nova assignments. (coming soon)

Also when I was around Devon Ave. a day or so after the preheater swap was announced as being in effect, I saw at least one of 74th's 6000s there. That also must have been very temporary (probably classified as a loaner).

I know that mostly 4400s from lowest series to near higher series were 1990 models, but which higher series were 1991 models? Except I know that 4900s were 1991 models.

For what it is worth, here is an Ohio Museum of Transportation delivery list. It was pointed out that this cannot be taken as gospel, as the 9001s went to SMART in the suburban Detroit area, not CTA.

I know that mostly 4400s from lowest series to near higher series were 1990 models, but which higher series were 1991 models? Except I know that 4900s were 1991 models.

Actually, they are ALL considered 1990 models.

Most bus manufacturers go by the year of the order rather than a model year. The buses don't actually change year by year. Each transit agency in a sense, "custom orders" or "specs" their bus to suit their needs.

Actually, they are ALL considered 1990 models.

Most bus manufacturers go by the year of the order rather than a model year. The buses don't actually change year by year. Each transit agency in a sense, "custom orders" or "specs" their bus to suit their needs.

However, going back to the delivery list, it has been said that the letter in the serial number indicates the year. The CTA order starts at K, but then goes to L.

I seem to remember that several manufacturers had serials with Y in 1999, but searching the web, with GeoCities gone, it is hard to verify that now.

Of course, there are the builder plates, and the Pace budget indicates year, although some Orion VIs have flopped between 2000 and 2001, the Standard Bus Procurement Guidelines, which mean that the buses aren't that different, and companies such as Daimler (Orion) making only one model of bus and New Flyer now making only one standard transit (although one could pay for a BRT or Xcelsior in the latter case).

• 2 weeks later...