Return to Metal Badges

In that they were issued, I don't doubt, but wonder how that enhances security, since there are apparently collectors, and hence probably also thieves of the badges. Easier to steal a badge than a jacket.

I thought CTA was going to some sort of biometric ID system. In that light, the only purpose of a badge or patch would be for a passenger to report an employee.

In that they were issued, I don't doubt, but wonder how that enhances security, since there are apparently collectors, and hence probably also thieves of the badges. Easier to steal a badge than a jacket.

I thought CTA was going to some sort of biometric ID system. In that light, the only purpose of a badge or patch would be for a passenger to report an employee.

Maybe it's somehow, in some odd way, cheaper to have the metal badges??? I mean, when a CTA Operator is Retired/Fired, etc... they must return the metal badges and those badges are kept in storage until given to another operator. I'm sure it's a little expensive to have a Uniform Manufacturer stitch on the CTA Logos to all the shirts, jackets, hats and coats the CTA orders, as well as all the Badge numbers that are needed to be stitched on as well.

I mean, when a CTA Operator is Retired/Fired, etc... they must return the metal badges and those badges are kept in storage until given to another operator.

Usually payroll numbers are permanent, and thus badges can't be reissued (i.e., even if gone, the employee may have vested retirement under that number).

I thought someone here explained how that works at CTA.

Usually payroll numbers are permanent, and thus badges can't be reissued (i.e., even if gone, the employee may have vested retirement under that number).

I thought someone here explained how that works at CTA.

Yup. They won't reissue badges.

"retired badges" go into the smelter now.

The badges you saw for sale in the past at IRM (and a few other outlets) were "retired" badges that were stored at the old "counting house" at South Shops. They probably realize that releasing those to the public was a mistake, and I don't see that happening again. Still, check eBay from time to time. Hell, I may have one or two (hit me offlist).

The embroidered numbers are relatively cheap to make. The current uniform suppliers affix them with little effort, just as they do for most PACE operators.

The badges you saw for sale in the past at IRM (and a few other outlets) were "retired" badges that were stored at the old "counting house" at South Shops. They probably realize that releasing those to the public was a mistake, and I don't see that happening again. Still, check eBay from time to time. Hell, I may have one or two (hit me offlist).

The embroidered numbers are relatively cheap to make. The current uniform suppliers affix them with little effort, just as they do for most PACE operators.

Ebay still has the CTA Badges

And they're still selling them at IRM! I don't know! Did they get permission from CTA or something or did CTA donate the badges to them? Also, they're still selling them at EBay, too!

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is due to new security concerns after the "make believe" bus driver incident at 103rd, but there has been a return to metal badges. They were issued today.

What do the new metal badges look like? I have a female friend who lives across the street from me who works for the CTA as a bus operator!

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote

I know what the new CTA Badges look like! They look like the 1979 version of the badges with the "cta" in small letters! My female friend, who lives across the street from me, showed me hers and she's a bus operator for the CTA(since either 1993 or 1994)

Have you seen the new CTA Badges? They look kinda like the 1979 version of the badges! My female friend showed me her new badge and she drives a bus for the CTA

My guess is due to new security concerns after the "make believe" bus driver incident at 103rd, but there has been a return to metal badges. They were issued today.

If you've seen them(or have a pic of them)they look just like the 1979 version of the badges issued that year! They have the small "cta" small letter on them

Do they look just like the 1979 version of the badge?

I'm not sure, and I don't know if anyone has mentioned in this thread whether or not they do.

They do.

It's the same format. The same dye as the 1979 badges.

No changes.