New LED interior lighting in New Flyers 1275 and 1283

Sam92

Hey, while riding on buses 1275 and 1283 (both buses are from 77th garage) I've noticed that the florescent bulbs that first came with the bus have been replaced with LED's just like the numbers 1630 and higher. 1283 however had interior lights similar to the stimulus funded Articulateds (4150 and higher) with the clear covering and everything. Anyone have an idea of what's going on and if this is hopefully going to become part of all new flyers?

Hey, while riding on buses 1275 and 1283 (both buses are from 77th garage) I've noticed that the florescent bulbs that first came with the bus have been replaced with LED's just like the numbers 1630 and higher. 1283 however had interior lights similar to the stimulus funded Articulateds (4150 and higher) with the clear covering and everything. Anyone have an idea of what's going on and if this is hopefully going to become part of all new flyers?

Look for it to eventually be phased into all the New Flyers, probably when their LED's wear out, as some already have(some NP New Flyers are mixed Blue and Green LED's). The Optimas might also go LED eventually, but the NOVA's probably won't, being that 2013-2014 will be the 12th year of their life, and probably the beginning of their retirements, unless the CTA wants to give them the TMC treatment*.

*= Have the NOVA LFS Buses stay in service until about 18-20 years.

Look for it to eventually be phased into all the New Flyers, probably when their LED's wear out, as some already have(some NP New Flyers are mixed Blue and Green LED's). The Optimas might also go LED eventually, but the NOVA's probably won't, being that 2013-2014 will be the 12th year of their life, and probably the beginning of their retirements, unless the CTA wants to give them the TMC treatment*.

do you mean when the florescent bulbs go out? these were older new flyers.

do you mean when the florescent bulbs go out? these were older new flyers.

Probably both. Although, it will be easier to put the new LED's in 1630-2029, as they are already wired for LED Lighting. 1000-1629 might need to be in the shop for a little wiring work to get them able to have LED Lighting. I know some Blue LED's in the NP New Flyers have been replaced with Green LED's. Others haven't been replaced yet. With the Florescent New Flyers, the small bulbs in all of them have burned out and haven't been replaced.

There already is a Nova with LED interior lighting. #6440 from last fall. Those LED Flyer's from 77th have been like that for a few years. Seems to be an experiment that either never got expanded to the other buses or they feel would be counter productive to remove.

There already is a Nova with LED interior lighting. #6440 from last fall. Those LED Flyer's from 77th have been like that for a few years. Seems to be an experiment that either never got expanded to the other buses or they feel would be counter productive to remove.

Nah... I've ridden in those same New Flyers before and they haven't had those lights until recently

Nah... I've ridden in those same New Flyers before and they haven't had those lights until recently

Check the forum if you don't believe me, do a search. I believe I may have mentioned this myself a few years ago. (check strange lighting topic in cta bus from feb 2008)

Post from June 2009 mentions LEDs in 1276 and 1283.

I was wondering if these buses actually were done ahead of the post #1630 buses, so I checked my notes. Sure enough the #1630 buses didn't start arriving until around March 30 2008. So when I posted in Feb 2008 about strange lighting I was posting about something yet unseen here. (unless you figure doorway lights which have been LED since the first #1000/#500.) So they seem to be indeed an experiment ahead of the delivery. Granted I didn't mention these two, but I did remember #1283 was around quite a while so whether they were all done together or not I don't know. They may have been months apart.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like 1272 has them too. BTW, can anyone bring me up to speed about #1249's destination signs? They have a different font and use upper and lowercase lettering. First time actually seeing it and I'm starting to see it quite a bit since it is a 103rd based route