Used/Leased Buses Acquired by CT & Pace

Paul Fortini

We all know that the CTA acquired used M-A-N articulateds from Seattle Metro about 10 years ago (note, I really liked riding those buses). And we all know that circa 1994-1996 the CTA acquired some GMC Fishbowls from Pace South (ex S. Suburban Safeway I believe) for when the Green Line was closed for renovations.

I vaguely remember that in the late 1970s and early 1980s the CTA was using some ex West Towns Bus Co. Fishbowls. Have there been any other times the CTA has operated with used/leased buses?

Also, how 'bout Pace? Has Pace ever acquired used or leased buses?

I don't mean buses that either acquired from their predecessors (CSL, CMC, West Towns, Nortran, Safeway). With Pace it gets a little tricky because I know they've used buses supplied by their contractors (Laidlaw, Vancom).

We all know that the CTA acquired used M-A-N articulateds from Seattle Metro about 10 years ago (note, I really liked riding those buses). And we all know that circa 1994-1996 the CTA acquired some GMC Fishbowls from Pace South (ex S. Suburban Safeway I believe) for when the Green Line was closed for renovations.

I vaguely remember that in the late 1970s and early 1980s the CTA was using some ex West Towns Bus Co. Fishbowls. Have there been any other times the CTA has operated with used/leased buses?

Also, how 'bout Pace? Has Pace ever acquired used or leased buses?

I don't mean buses that either acquired from their predecessors (CSL, CMC, West Towns, Nortran, Safeway). With Pace it gets a little tricky because I know they've used buses supplied by their contractors (Laidlaw, Vancom).

The late 1970s, CTA had regained CTA buses that had been lent to the RTA for temporary use by West Towns (the so called Albino buses in the 9400s), but they were always CTA owned.

All West Towns itself owned were 35 foot buses. Mel Bernero's pictures indicate that some of them (apparently they had not exceeded their service life yet) were scattered around other RTA territories when the pumpkin buses arrived.

Bill V. notes that 7150 series Pace Carpenter buses were acquired from the 150 CTA series, and there were other posts here that they were originally supposed to be CTA paratransits.

Talking about leases, CTA 4000-4149 are leased from Traxis, and there are all sorts of incomprehensible safe harbor and similar leases, including for the Novas. You can search this forum for that.

You can throw in another "how about Pace" that when the Grummans were pulled for inspection when NYC reported suspension cracks, it was reported that the carriers used school buses. And, now there is the pending lease to get enough OTRs to run 755/855 (although apparently really for 877/888).

The late 1970s, CTA had regained CTA buses that had been lent to the RTA for temporary use by West Towns (the so called Albino buses in the 9400s), but they were always CTA owned.

All West Towns itself owned were 35 foot buses. Mel Bernero's pictures indicate that some of them (apparently they had not exceeded their service life yet) were scattered around other RTA territories when the pumpkin buses arrived.

Bill V. notes that 7150 series Pace Carpenter buses were acquired from the 150 CTA series, and there were other posts here that they were originally supposed to be CTA paratransits.

Talking about leases, CTA 4000-4149 are leased from Traxis, and there are all sorts of incomprehensible safe harbor and similar leases, including for the Novas. You can search this forum for that.

You can throw in another "how about Pace" that when the Grummans were pulled for inspection when NYC reported suspension cracks, it was reported that the carriers used school buses. And, now there is the pending lease to get enough OTRs to run 755/855 (although apparently really for 877/888).

I think everyone will find this video interesting! The Grumman/Flxible issue.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/12kIfbe90Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BusHunter mentioning 4915s just reminded me that the 4915 series of CTA 96" wide buses was sold to them by Pace from their 2085-2129 series. I think other sites have the renumberings documented, and he mentioned the pictures of a few.

This, again, was a stopgap, supposedly because the TMC 4900s were not accessible, until the Optimas arrived.

Also, 5750 provided the link that was here before, but documents what I said about the Grummans.

• 2 months later...

I curious to ask why did CTA ordered 4900 TMCs w/o Lifts in the first place after received over 470 others with lifts?

The official answer in Krambles's book was that they had to be narrow to run between the L supports on Lake Street.* Of course, the Orion Is proved that a 96 inch bus could have a lift, but I also suppose that if they were running the Lake St. buses between the supports, they were not going to drop a lift into the street, as opposed to the usual practice of pulling up to the curb.

___

*He said that a 102" would fit, but that the clearance would be too close for comfort.

For the brief time I was driving for Fresh Moves, I actually had to drive the Flxible under Lake street. Our supply shop was located, out of all places on Lake st. west of Homan. It was very tight, but I managed to drive it from Laramie to Homan without incident.

For the brief time I was driving for Fresh Moves, I actually had to drive the Flxible under Lake street. Our supply shop was located, out of all places on Lake st. west of Homan. It was very tight, but I managed to drive it from Laramie to Homan without incident.

I suppose that another 102" bus wasn't headed in the other direction, compared to several illustrations in Krambles's book of 96" buses meeting.:D

I suppose that another 102" bus wasn't headed in the other direction, compared to several illustrations in Krambles's book of 96" buses meeting.:D

All I can say is that Im glad the #16 Lake St. bus no longer ran under the L! :)

• 1 year later...

An item in the Sept. Agenda is "Review of an ordinance authorizing refinance of a bus lease agreement for 150 Buses with PNC Financial Services Group."

Apparently Traxis is no longer on this lease.