Unending Blue Line Slow Zones?

Sam92

Supposedly the Blue Line has 26 miles of slow zones to repair according to sources around the web including this one: http://www.equipmentworld.com/7-2-billion-infrastructure-program-launched-in-chicago/. My question is, what else IS there to repair? O'hare was hit in 2007 along with the subway in 2009. Logan Square is being done as we speak and if the press releases are right, Forest Park got a little work done too. Anyone want to add your two-cents in? I'm definatly with BusJack about half-assed repairs this time laugh.gif

Supposedly the Blue Line has 26 miles of slow zones to repair according to sources around the web including this one: http://www.equipmentworld.com/7-2-billion-infrastructure-program-launched-in-chicago/. My question is, what else IS there to repair? O'hare was hit in 2007 along with the subway in 2009. Logan Square is being done as we speak and if the press releases are right, Forest Park got a little work done too. Anyone want to add your two-cents in? I'm definatly with BusJack about half-assed repairs this time laugh.gif

If you look at the current slow zone map here, there isn't much going on on the blue line O'Hare branch. Most of the slow zones they speak of around Logan Square are 25 to 35 MPH slow zones. There is a small section of 15 MPH track at Western, but that's it. The total O'hare branch has 3.3 percent slow zones. The more pressing concern is the Congress' 17.9 percent of slow zone track mostly around Pulaski to Cicero which are not as bad as the Red line. The Red line has about double the problems of the Congress. The Dan Ryan is at 29.8 percent slow zones. About 2/3 of that is at 15 MPH. The North side is not much better. While the Red lines north main is a little faster than the purple at 16.9 percent slow zones, the purple line is worse at 24 percent. Track 4 is really bad the NB purple line crawls at 15 MPH north of Lawrence to Bryn Mawr then continues on a 25 mph slow zone through Thorndale. Most of the problem with Track 3 is around Loyola (15 MPH) Currently a NB Purple line is as fast as a NB Red line. With the main focus on the South side next year and North side stations this year, I wonder just how bad Track 4 is going to get?

Bus Hunter beat me to the slow zone map. Also, supposedly the area around California on the O'Hare Line is supposed to be fixed.

The Equipment World one seems to be byproduct of the Tribune article Monday about how "But for now, a positive attitude prevails. It may be based more on optimism than realism."* Nonetheless, the "unfunded" Red Line problems seem enough to keep CTA busy for quite a while.

But even if there are repairs, they will be half-assed, and CTA will never get to a state of good repair.

*Except that they might have gotten the Red and Blue confused, except that I once accused the Emanuel campaign of getting the north and south side Reds confused, until it turned out they meant south.That guy standing in front of Equipment World's site is sure obnoxious.

It is just bad reporting. The same CTA slow zone map referenced above has the linear feet of all the slow zones. Add them all up, all of the lines, and you get 26 miles. So it is not 26 miles of the blue line but 26 miles of all the lines including the huge South Side slow zones.

• Upvote 1

It is just bad reporting. The same CTA slow zone map referenced above has the linear feet of all the slow zones. Add them all up, all of the lines, and you get 26 miles. So it is not 26 miles of the blue line but 26 miles of all the lines including the huge South Side slow zones.

Just recently rode Red Line SB going to 87th from Downtown, during the night, SB trains always has been riding slow zones between 63rd-69th Stations going underpass I-90 EB ramp for at least last 5 years off and on, does anyone know what's the deal with that?

Just recently rode Red Line SB going to 87th from Downtown, during the night, SB trains always has been riding slow zones between 63rd-69th Stations going underpass I-90 EB ramp for at least last 5 years off and on, does anyone know what's the deal with that?

Your mayor (or at least the mayor down to 138th) says it needs $600 million of work. Cf. my comment in the RPM thread.

Of course, if your question is that sometimes it is a slow zone and other times it isn't, I don't know.