CTA Bus purchase

oh i see, but yeah thinking about i. thanks for that info.

does anyone else have any suggestions?

anyone i can talk to at CTA?

Their director of purchasing is undoubtedly on their website. Look in their Doing Business, Procurement area.

I hear getting an ex-Pace bus might be easier. Not sure of the particulars, but I believe the purchasing system is much easier. I also believe you can buy a specific unit, while you can't from the CTA.

Depending on what you want a bus for, going through Pace might be a better idea. At least, if for a church or camp bus, or similar.

The North Division general manager and I often joke about letting a couple Orions go to Camp Ma Ka Ja Wan, where I go quite often throughout the summer. Would be a handy way to connect East Camp and West Camp.

Of course, my dad (Who will be up there all summer as camp director), and I also wanted to buy the Kiddieland Railroad and use it for a similar purpose. The real problem would be who got to run the train, we got another railfan that works in maintenance!

does anyone know if i can purchase an old CTA bus? if so what do i have to do?

Depends....

If it's a Flyer D901, TMC, Flxible, or New Flyer(5800), have a big garage that can house a 40' bus, a supplier of parts and a lot of $$, because your going to need it to get the bus in safe operable condition again

If it's a NABI 60-LFW, a lot of Band-Aids, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Krazy Glue, Nails, Hammer, Staple Gun, Welder, and the most important tool you'll need with this bus..... a Bible!!!

:P

• Upvote 1

I hear getting an ex-Pace bus might be easier. Not sure of the particulars, but I believe the purchasing system is much easier. I also believe you can buy a specific unit, while you can't from the CTA....

The Contract Awards page says that Adelman's Truck & Equipment Co. just picked those up. So, I guess one would have to wait until next March.

More than likely, if someone really wanted a used bus, it would make more sense to pursue the auction sites posted by such as the Twin Cities Metro crowd.

I wonder if PACE still got some Nova Classics still laying around somewhere or were they all sold to Canada?

They were gone several years ago, according to the bidding documents.

Also, there is no evidence that anything went to Canada.

• 4 months later...

I hear getting an ex-Pace bus might be easier. Not sure of the particulars, but I believe the purchasing system is much easier. I also believe you can buy a specific unit, while you can't from the CTA.

Depending on what you want a bus for, going through Pace might be a better idea. At least, if for a church or camp bus, or similar.

The North Division general manager and I often joke about letting a couple Orions go to Camp Ma Ka Ja Wan, where I go quite often throughout the summer. Would be a handy way to connect East Camp and West Camp.

Of course, my dad (Who will be up there all summer as camp director), and I also wanted to buy the Kiddieland Railroad and use it for a similar purpose. The real problem would be who got to run the train, we got another railfan that works in maintenance!

How much does it cost to get a bus from Pace and why can't you buy an old CTA Bus from the CTA?

How much does it cost to get a bus from Pace and why can't you buy an old CTA Bus from the CTA?

Pace: It depends on who bids when they are advertised (usually for March sale). Usually you are competing against Sims Metal Management and Adelman's. They do post the results on their "Awarded Bids" page. IIRC, a bus goes for about $1,000 to $3,000.

CTA: Because all junk contracts say that the buyer certifies that the bus will not be used again and indemnifies the CTA in case it gets into someone else's hands and is used again. Also, as mentioned here numerous times, they drain the fuel and fluids and cut the lines before they are hauled off. CTA doesn't want the legal liability that might result from future use.