New MCTS 5400 series buses

Archon

@Flossman- It's June but if it would mean no cold I would skip right over to July. I went by fleet on Saturday and didn't see any sitting outside. There were people working and doors were open but I couldn't get a good view from the car. I wonder how long it takes to prepare a bus for the road after delivery.

• Upvote 1

It might have been answered earlier and I missed it, but how many 5300s are in service for MCTS?

55. Fleet numbers 5300-5354. :)

I wonder how long it takes to prepare a bus for the road after delivery.

Very good point. Probably a week or so since they deliver them via interstate. Still... I wonder, as well.

Hello, im new to the forum & was interested when finding a discussion group that was featuring Milwaukee County Transit content. I've been reading the post the past couple of days & i have a surprise for you guys. I do have photos of the 5400-series.

Excelsior!

With these and the Rochester pictures, what are the fins hiding; the air conditioner?

Yes, Those "Fins" are the Air Conditioning unit first seen in the 5100-series & seems to be continuing with the 5400-series. Apparently, in the rear of the bus is where the "This is a Clean Diesel Bus" action begins, There by moving the A/C in front on top.

Yes, Those "Fins" are the Air Conditioning unit first seen in the 5100-series & seems to be continuing with the 5400-series. Apparently, in the rear of the bus is where the "This is a Clean Diesel Bus" action begins, There by moving the A/C in front on top.

At least what some bus manufacturers* say, the engine cooling is in the rear, leaving the air conditioner on the roof.

*Nova Bus Smart Bus page, mentioning their "standard engine electric cooling system."

Well, I would go (or, rather, have gone) if I didn't feel weird at the courthouse taking bus pictures. :P

I would've gone had I had the opportunity to take off of work. I would've brought the camera but I might have felt funny taking pictures. I drove by fleet on Sunday and saw 5401. It is a nice looking bus.

.......Explains the high rate of 4300s & 4400s disappearing & FDL & FB having a high rate of 5100 through 5300 running revenue service so it makes since. Northsiders will get it's taste of the new buses mainly on the 23, BlueLine, 19, 15 & GreenLine since all call from KK (expect 23 & Blue which operates from FDL & KK & 29 which calls from KK & FB)

I have been in 5406 we were trained on the new q restrant wheel chair system. The differences on the 5400 are steering wheel is 18 inch not 20 the roof hatches are clear THe destanation signs are still luminator but the key pad is left side above drivers window slanted step in the back all LED head lights Electric raditior fan cooling there are 9 of them still 6 speed allisoin wider front door, Driver sheld. different dash board. kneel's lower 4 single passinger seats on the left side 4 of them for stroller area

ISL engine with clean disel exhaust. KK is getting the first batch 5400-5434. Seat color is different They will be in service for summerfest.

pardon any spelling mistakes Firedfox spell checker does not work on this posting system I am the worst speller.

• Upvote 1

I have been in 5406 we were trained on the new q restrant wheel chair system. The differences on the 5400 are steering wheel is 18 inch not 20 the roof hatches are clear THe destanation signs are still luminator but the key pad is left side above drivers window slanted step in the back all LED head lights Electric raditior fan cooling there are 9 of them still 6 speed allisoin wider front door, Driver sheld. different dash board. kneel's lower 4 single passinger seats on the left side 4 of them for stroller area

ISL engine with clean disel exhaust. KK is getting the first batch 5400-5434. Seat color is different They will be in service for summerfest.

pardon any spelling mistakes Firedfox spell checker does not work on this posting system I am the worst speller.

I can't wait to ride these 5400s when I (hopefully) hit Milwaukee for a day trip later this summer as part of my Chicago vacation. Those buses look nice.

Semi-related question: which garage (oops, I mean Station) operates the 90 Brewers Express to Miller Park?

The 5100's debuted for revenue service to State Fair back in 2010 so it makes sense to debut the 5400's for revenue service to Summerfest. Guess we'll really see how many more standees we can crunch together with the roomier enterior when Summerfest closes.

:P If my experiences over the past 10 years are anything to go by, it STILL won't be enough. Hell, I doubt a 60' bus would do it. If only New Flyer made a 120' or maybe a 500' bus...

:P If my experiences over the past 10 years are anything to go by, it STILL won't be enough. Hell, I doubt a 60' bus would do it. If only New Flyer made a 120' or maybe a 500' bus...

Some European companies make a bus with double articulations. But maybe you need some Montreal subway cars, which have rubber tires.