New MCTS 5400 series buses

Archon

FDL operates Route 90, KK operates Wisconsin Ave Summer Festivals Shuttles

Of course, it'd be just my luck that my day trip to Milwaukee is taking place the week after Irish Fest. Still, looking forward to riding the 5400s. On my last trip to Milwaukee, I rode 5136 on the 90 and left impressed with the 5100s. So, my expectations are a little high.

Of course, it'd be just my luck that my day trip to Milwaukee is taking place the week after Irish Fest. Still, looking forward to riding the 5400s. On my last trip to Milwaukee, I rode 5136 on the 90 and left impressed with the 5100s. So, my expectations are a little high.

Reminder of Run Numbers from MCTS Stations

100=Kinnickinnic Station (Kinnickinnic, 1st st & Mitchell, Services as Terminals for 54 (During non-UMO Extension, 56 & 17 (along 1st next to MCTS Employee Parking Lot near Mitchell)

200=FB (19th & Capitol)

300=FOND DU LAC (32 & FDL)

All Miller Park Route 90 Runs are FDL

All Wisconsin Festival Shuttle (Route 7) are KK Runs

Some European companies make a bus with double articulations. But maybe you need some Montreal subway cars, which have rubber tires.

Or the Paris Métro, which also uses rubber-tyred subway cars. Both really fun systems to ride, though it's been years since I've been on either.

@Busfan2 I got the same facebook reply also and its true KK will receive buses: 5400-5434 and Fiebrantz will receive Buses 5435-5454. And assuming MCTS exercise the option for the additional 35 buses for later this year if not sometime next year, those buses will be assigned to FDL. But we will have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw 5408 on the Blue line and was surprised that the sign still flashes a blank message sign when flipping between destination messages on the Metro express. I thought that would have been fixed. I like the new font being used and I will try to get a picture and the rear sign is nice and way overdue.

Saw 5404 (MCTS 5400-series Model) working Route 48 (South Shore Flyer) @ 5:10 Going Southbound. Can We say that the 1900-2000-Series Buses were the quintessential Buses for MCTS during its first era & can we now Deem the 5400-Series a quintessential Future Classic for which future fleets must follow.

post-1441-0-59921000-1373411140_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

geneking7320, What about the rest of us, we spot the differences too???

Juniorz and rest please feel free to respond to the question. :)

I wanted to ask our thread starter because by now he may have driven both buses.Admittedly,I haven't read enough of the NF website to see what they say the differences are. For my $0.02 without the seamless window covering the two models look very much alike.

Gene King

...Admittedly,I haven't read enough of the NF website to see what they say the differences are. For my $0.02 without the seamless window covering the two models look very much alike.

Gene King

The New Flyer site indicates that the biggest benefit is lower weight leading to better fuel mileage, and if you click on "Driver Focus Groups," it mentions "fiberglass body." Thus, besides other things mentioned on that page, the Xcelsior is like an RTS in having a fiberglass body on a metal frame, as opposed to most buses with steel bodies.

• Upvote 1

Its all the way back. I'm hoping to get a closer view soon cause I can't see the width difference in the front doors compared to the older buses. When I looked on new flyers site I saw they shrunk the space between windows. I always hated getting a seat where you couldn't really see out the window. Its been hard to see in pictures but the rear roof slopes up from the sides. I think this is for increased headroom but it looks cool and one of us needs to take a picture that focuses on the rear roof. By the way nice picture you took. 5404 is the one I've seen the most.

That destination sign has quite the resolution. Are the side signs larger than on the older buses?

That sign on 5410 looks a lot like the sign one of the CTA New Flyer D40LFs had that I saw a couple years ago. I forget which bus it was, but I spotted it at the 95th/Dan Ryan L station on the 34. The thicker "23" font on MCTS 5410 looks a little different than the typical Luminator LED signs that I've seen, though.