December 2012 CTA Map

mel bernero

Well CTA now has a pdf of the current map on their website with all the same info from the December map of changes they did in December, but the fare section changed to reflect the new pass prices and O'Hare Blue Line "surcharge". They dated it January 2013. The new cover is an outline of the rail map against a black background.

Shocked, but not surprised by the short press run of the December edition that was released the week of January 7 and disappeared late afternoon of January 15. Also, there seems to be an December 9 version of rail timetables & December 16 version of these timetables with only the effective dates updated. Also, it seems CTA never released physical copies of the System Improvement Changes Brochures to make customers aware of the service changes & only posted them online.

post-1389-13586639474998_thumb.jpg

post-1389-13586639985245_thumb.jpg

Which brought up my prior point of why even print out a map in December when they still had the new fare structure yet to come into effect until January, and they could have just done a January map update with the route changes and fare change updates given all at one time. That would have saved the money wasted in printing 26,000 maps with information that was only going to apply for a month.

Then comes the issue of when the Red Line is renovated, and whatever changes come about. A new map would then (assumed) be released by then.

The difference in that case is that is along the time one would expect CTA to print a new map anyway and wouldn't affect much since the publish rate for system maps with relevant is roughly two to three times annually.

I just got my copy of the December 2012 CTA Map.

Which would already put you and others who got this one behind since these crazy folks have put together a January 2013 update of the map as evidence from the pdf on the website being dated January of this year. :lol:

I myself received three print copies of the December 2012 maps. jajuan you should get some 'while supplies last!' I seriously though they would've shelved them and placed them in the recycled bins after stupidly printing them, kno wing the new fare would go in effect a few weeks afterwards. It would've been more wise to not print any new maps until January, instead of printing two different maps in a very short time.

Now in contrast, there's been a couple of occasions where they don't print another map in over a year span or longer. I remember the Spring 2002 map was around for over a year, until the Lake Shore Drive bus route changes went into effect (8/31/03) and they finally made a new September 2003 issue. And another occasion was last year where they didn't print another map after July 2011 issue, until this past September with a new issue. So this year we will probably have 5 different maps in a 13-14 month span (we already had 3 in a five month span).

I seriously thought I was going to miss a copy since the March 2001 issue. I'm hoping they will print out the January 2013 issue soon.