JuJuBeans Posted October 21, 2013 Report Posted October 21, 2013 I'm new and I have a question. My uncle registered for a Ventra card after my mom bought him one. I helped registered him on the website and register him on the pre paid portion. The problem is we have no idea how to transfer funds from Ventra transit to that account or where the pin number used for ATM/debit card purchases are at. He called but didn't get a clear answer. Quote
MetroShadow Posted October 21, 2013 Report Posted October 21, 2013 Noticed green stickers on Ventra readers in rail stations over the weekend, but not on the buses I rode. Likely going through the testing and verification process (again). I don't know how the buses are stacked up. Quote
Amtrak41 Posted October 22, 2013 Report Posted October 22, 2013 About 2 weeks after I got Ventra activated (no thanks to Ventra), I got an e-mail during the night "Your Card is Now Active." Wasn't that nice of them ? (It should have come 2 MINUTES after activation). In the first paragraph, it says "Now that you have your new Ventra Card, please securely discard your Chicago Card Plus or your Chicago Card.". 2 paragraphs later, they tell CC users "Check out the schedule to find a balance transfer event near you." So I think they are hoping you will react on impulse, not read further, cut up the cards, and not participate in any redemption events. Quote
jajuan Posted October 22, 2013 Report Posted October 22, 2013 About 2 weeks after I got Ventra activated (no thanks to Ventra), I got an e-mail during the night "Your Card is Now Active." Wasn't that nice of them ? (It should have come 2 MINUTES after activation). In the first paragraph, it says "Now that you have your new Ventra Card, please securely discard your Chicago Card Plus or your Chicago Card.". 2 paragraphs later, they tell CC users "Check out the schedule to find a balance transfer event near you." So I think they are hoping you will react on impulse, not read further, cut up the cards, and not participate in any redemption events. So anything new outside of your impressions of tidbits shared pulled out of context like whether or not your card works? Quote
Amtrak41 Posted October 22, 2013 Report Posted October 22, 2013 I have no idea if the card will work until next summer when I visit. Quote
Vinny Posted October 22, 2013 Report Posted October 22, 2013 I'm new and I have a question. My uncle registered for a Ventra card after my mom bought him one. I helped registered him on the website and register him on the pre paid portion. The problem is we have no idea how to transfer funds from Ventra transit to that account or where the pin number used for ATM/debit card purchases are at. He called but didn't get a clear answer. I don't think it's possible to transfer funds from the transit account to the prepaid account. Quote
BusHunter Posted October 22, 2013 Report Posted October 22, 2013 I'm sure someone here is going to tell him that he should have known that he was going to be double charged; just part of the learning curve. I was double charged myself after using the transit card/standard fare version of the card. Two rides cost me $4.50 in the space of 2 hours. After staring at my missing money at the Ventra machine, I decided it's time to go back to transit cards myself. These cards are only good for passes, I wouldn't waste my time/money past that stage. The big drawback in these cards is noone knows at the farebox what the balance of the card is. I'm surprised that in itself doesn't warrant a lawsuit. It's like going to the grocery store and the cashier says well that's $5 and there is no register saying anything. Essentially this is a blind leading the blind transit card. Even operators are at a loss, because they don't know what you purchased either. This really has to change. 1 Quote
Busjack Posted October 22, 2013 Author Report Posted October 22, 2013 I was double charged myself after using the transit card/standard fare version of the card. Two rides cost me $4.50 in the space of 2 hours..... Since you said you used the card for presumably two $2.25 trips, were both on the L? This may go back to the implication in the 2014 budget (see post) that the three rides in 2 hours applies only if a bus trip was involved, in that the budget says that they are changing the rule that reentry into the rail system isn't allowed: In recognition of the interconnected nature of the rail system, the CTA is amending its transfer policy to allow for re-entry into the rail system for the price of a transfer within one hour of initial, full-fare entry. Bus-to-rail, rail-to-bus, and bus-to-bus transfers will retain a two hour window for transfer use after the initial, full-price fare. Quote
Busjack Posted October 22, 2013 Author Report Posted October 22, 2013 ...The big drawback in these cards is noone knows at the farebox what the balance of the card is. I'm surprised that in itself doesn't warrant a lawsuit. It's like going to the grocery store and the cashier says well that's $5 and there is no register saying anything. Essentially this is a blind leading the blind transit card. Even operators are at a loss, because they don't know what you purchased either. This really has to change. I take it you aren't Cheryl from the CTA Tattler, but she just made about the same request. Also, given that someone asked above how to transfer transit value to the debit card account, someone at the CTA Tattler (same post, under Robert Eltzholtz), asked how to activate the prepaid debit card, also assuming that that would transfer the transit value. Talk about coincidences ! Quote
Busjack Posted October 22, 2013 Author Report Posted October 22, 2013 If you remember my comment about BCBS calling people after they filed applications for 2014 plans, the Red Eye now says that CTA is going to call CC users who haven't activated yet. If that's happening, maybe that will break the logjam of people saying they haven't received their cards or activation information. Quote
owine Posted October 22, 2013 Report Posted October 22, 2013 If you remember my comment about BCBS calling people after they filed applications for 2014 plans, the Red Eye now says that CTA is going to call CC users who haven't activated yet. If that's happening, maybe that will break the logjam of people saying they haven't received their cards or activation information. A far far far more reasonable undertaking both from an expectation standpoint and a logistics standpoint than doing so back when they sent emails out instead. Good move. Talked to a co-worker today who activated her Ventra card but it has taken 2 weeks and her CCP value has not yet transferred. Another anomaly. Quote
BusHunter Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 I take it you aren't Cheryl from the CTA Tattler, but she just made about the same request. Also, given that someone asked above how to transfer transit value to the debit card account, someone at the CTA Tattler (same post, under Robert Eltzholtz), asked how to activate the prepaid debit card, also assuming that that would transfer the transit value. Talk about coincidences ! What she said happened to her is even worse. That a pass became pay per use in the middle of the pass. This means most likely that even pass users will have to check up on ventra on a regular basis. Transit cards are so much more reliable. Since I switched back I no longer have to look over my shoulder wondering if my balance is prematurely disappearing. I don't know on dec 15th CTA is going to have some real problems with this card. It may actually result in ridership decline. No one likes being ripped off. Quote
brownliner Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 What she said happened to her is even worse. That a pass became pay per use in the middle of the pass. She claims it happened to a Chicago card plus, not a ventra card. There's a difference. Quote
owine Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 What she said happened to her is even worse. That a pass became pay per use in the middle of the pass. This means most likely that even pass users will have to check up on ventra on a regular basis. Transit cards are so much more reliable. Since I switched back I no longer have to look over my shoulder wondering if my balance is prematurely disappearing. I don't know on dec 15th CTA is going to have some real problems with this card. It may actually result in ridership decline. No one likes being ripped off. Just don't put the plastic pass near anything in your pocket or they'll soon be worthless. 40% of CTA rides use Ventra. What percentage do you estimate are getting screwed or experiencing serious issues with the day to day usage? Quote
Busjack Posted October 23, 2013 Author Report Posted October 23, 2013 ... 40% of CTA rides use Ventra. What percentage do you estimate are getting screwed or experiencing serious issues with the day to day usage? Why don't you contact them and find out? Or do a scientific survey of that populace? Otherwise, if this is a rhetorical question, what do you seek to prove? Just trying to do Jimmy Kimmel's Liewitness News? Quote
owine Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 Why don't you contact them and find out? Or do a scientific survey of that populace? Otherwise, if this is a rhetorical question, what do you seek to prove? Just trying to do Jimmy Kimmel's Liewitness News? I'm asking people to quantify their opinion if the system is broken, how broken do you think it is? 40% of CTA rides use Ventra now, so,etching about the system must be working. Quote
Amtrak41 Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 Invest in a package of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VCNRA2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 For non-commuters, there is the reel & badge option, which is what I do. But many people also have corporate RFID badge and many hang it from their belt, so this all gets rather clumsy. Quote
Busjack Posted October 23, 2013 Author Report Posted October 23, 2013 I'm asking people to quantify their opinion if the system is broken, how broken do you think it is? 40% of CTA rides use Ventra now, so,etching about the system must be working. What is etching supposed to mean in this context? Somebody putting acid on the lexan windows? Our opinion doesn't count, when Emanuel obviously told Claypool to delay at least one deadline after it passed, after Steele basically said (like you) that it was the user's fault. Like I said, if you have some quantification based on facts, give it. If you want my quantification, it is somewhere between not smooth and the head of the CTA, Emanuel, saying that we are putting a tech blitz on it.* Apparently not quite up to a lawsuit like in the NABI case, but I still predict that is coming. __________________ *Compare to what Pres. Obama said about here about healtcare.gov. That was, of course, after about 10 minutes of anecdotes about people who were able to sign up, and that the product was not the website. Other than the "tech experts" point, that speech is almost identical to what Claypool reportedly said while Emanuel's lips were not moving. Quote
MetroShadow Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 I'm asking people to quantify their opinion if the system is broken, how broken do you think it is? 40% of CTA rides use Ventra now, so,etching about the system must be working. One way or the other, it's teething. Nothing is ever perfect (or near perfect) as you introduce something new into the ecosystem. I'll defer to the comment about the learning curve (but Ventra/Cubic/CTA isn't off the hook either). Quote
Busjack Posted October 23, 2013 Author Report Posted October 23, 2013 One way or the other, it's teething. Nothing is ever perfect (or near perfect) as you introduce something new into the ecosystem. I'll defer to the comment about the learning curve (but Ventra/Cubic/CTA isn't off the hook either). Theoretically, they should have teethed it when they first started out by rolling out the student passes. In any event, there should have been a slower rollout to a select number of CC and CCP members instead of saying "this is the deadline." As was pointed out in some news reports, whoever Ventra is provided the worst service to theoretically CTA's best customers. Quote
Amtrak41 Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 Or CTA thought outsourcing it all to a private contractor also absolved them of responsibility and blame. Quote
Busjack Posted October 23, 2013 Author Report Posted October 23, 2013 Or CTA thought outsourcing it all to a private contractor also absolved them of responsibility and blame. Possible, but their action of not identifying that Cubic was running the call center until Claypool made his announcement would tend to show that they were trying to cover up for Cubic. In any event, it was bad contract administration. Quote
jajuan Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 What is etching supposed to mean in this context? Somebody putting acid on the lexan windows? Our opinion doesn't count, when Emanuel obviously told Claypool to delay at least one deadline after it passed, after Steele basically said (like you) that it was the user's fault. Like I said, if you have some quantification based on facts, give it. If you want my quantification, it is somewhere between not smooth and the head of the CTA, Emanuel, saying that we are putting a tech blitz on it.* Apparently not quite up to a lawsuit like in the NABI case, but I still predict that is coming. __________________ *Compare to what Pres. Obama said about here about healtcare.gov. That was, of course, after about 10 minutes of anecdotes about people who were able to sign up, and that the product was not the website. Other than the "tech experts" point, that speech is almost identical to what Claypool reportedly said while Emanuel's lips were not moving. Apples and oranges. The federal government at least gave itself a six month window to work out the glitches while the CTA only gave itself three months. Also customers seeking healthcare do have several alternatives to the federal website. The phone process in the fed's case is relatively hassle free and the individual state websites, which the federal site was going to send people to anyway, are working with few problems. So folks are getting signed up. In CTA's case, if you're one of the unfortunate folks hitting a snag, then you have to deal with the crappy phone customer service agents. Quote
Busjack Posted October 23, 2013 Author Report Posted October 23, 2013 Apples and oranges. The federal government at least gave itself a six month window to work out the glitches while the CTA only gave itself three months. Also customers seeking healthcare do have several alternatives to the federal website. The phone process in the fed's case is relatively hassle free and the individual state websites, which the federal site was going to send people to anyway, are working with few problems. So folks are getting signed up. In CTA's case, if you're one of the unfortunate folks hitting a snag, then you have to deal with the crappy phone customer service agents. So it seems that your quantitative assessment* is that Ventra is worse, while I was only making a comparison of certain facial similarities. Other difference is that one apparently can apply to insurers directly, who can't turn you down, while the only way for people with balances on the CCP who haven't been treated properly is to sit on hold. ___________ *for owine's purposes. Quote
owine Posted October 23, 2013 Report Posted October 23, 2013 What is etching supposed to mean in this context? Somebody putting acid on the lexan windows? Our opinion doesn't count, when Emanuel obviously told Claypool to delay at least one deadline after it passed, after Steele basically said (like you) that it was the user's fault. Like I said, if you have some quantification based on facts, give it. If you want my quantification, it is somewhere between not smooth and the head of the CTA, Emanuel, saying that we are putting a tech blitz on it.* Apparently not quite up to a lawsuit like in the NABI case, but I still predict that is coming. __________________ *Compare to what Pres. Obama said about here about healtcare.gov. That was, of course, after about 10 minutes of anecdotes about people who were able to sign up, and that the product was not the website. Other than the "tech experts" point, that speech is almost identical to what Claypool reportedly said while Emanuel's lips were not moving. Typo of "something". I suppose I should expect a class action lawsuit? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.