Coyotes on the nw side while waiting for the bus

BusHunter

Last night around Damen and Belmont they're was a coyote sighting by an operator on the #77. He said the coyote was as big as a german shepard. He stopped the bus and said look at that or at least that's what the story was. I once saw a coyote myself in a cemetary in the western suburbs that was that size but I thought it was a wolf because it was pretty good size but it ran away when I approached it in the car. But then I've seen a moose or possibly a big elk a few blocks west of belmont and cumberland. Strange things walk in the middle of the night.

Last night around Damen and Belmont they're was a coyote sighting by an operator on the #77. He said the coyote was as big as a german shepard. He stopped the bus and said look at that or at least that's what the story was. I once saw a coyote myself in a cemetary in the western suburbs that was that size but I thought it was a wolf because it was pretty good size but it ran away when I approached it in the car. But then I've seen a moose or possibly a big elk a few blocks west of belmont and cumberland. Strange things walk in the middle of the night.

Apparently a lot of coyotes, especially around forest preserves. They apparently like French (poodle) and Mexican (chihuahua) food. This story mentions a few of the famous sightings.

I see coyote several times a year. Sometimes from my living room... First one I saw, I was walking down the sidewalk, almost at a corner. The 'yote was on the cross street sidewalk, and reached the corner right as I did. My first thought was "Another jerk dog owner walking his dog without a leash.", followed by "That's not a domestic dog, no collar." then "Oh! that's not a dog!". It just looked at me at sauntered off. It looked both ways before crossing the street, in the cross walk. I'm near the UP North line, they like to move along that. Rosehill cemetery is big spot for them, and to a lesser extent Graceland. The one at Belmont and Dament probably took the metra.

,,,,I'm near the UP North line, they like to move along that. Rosehill cemetery is big spot for them, and to a lesser extent Graceland. The one at Belmont and Dament probably took the metra.

Now, if only that coyote had an appetite for Claypool or Emanuel, instead of some Shih Tzu (given the neighborhood you mentioned). :angry::D

• Upvote 1

I see coyote several times a year. Sometimes from my living room... First one I saw, I was walking down the sidewalk, almost at a corner. The 'yote was on the cross street sidewalk, and reached the corner right as I did. My first thought was "Another jerk dog owner walking his dog without a leash.", followed by "That's not a domestic dog, no collar." then "Oh! that's not a dog!". It just looked at me at sauntered off. It looked both ways before crossing the street, in the cross walk. I'm near the UP North line, they like to move along that. Rosehill cemetery is big spot for them, and to a lesser extent Graceland. The one at Belmont and Dament probably took the metra.

I also live near the UP-North Line. I haven't spotted any thus far myself. But then again I live to the north of Rosehill Cemetery and I think the trees on the north end of the cemetery provide a thick enough cover to hide them not to mention car traffic on Peterson is pretty heavy for many hours out of the day.

I didn't think they would be coming down the UP-North, but that's probably what they are doing. The area there next to the tracks gets pretty quiet in the midday period as i have walked up the streets there looking at the UP-North bridge/parking garage/station project that's been going on there. The animal's sound intelligent, more so than a dog and can probably evade capture being creatures of the outdoors with their cunning ability. They really are Wile E. Coyotes. :P The one i saw was in the western suburbs. When it ran it had a strange gait to it. It seemed to have good strong muscles on it. i was kind of wondering if it would try to attack me but it was as bewildered/scared of me as I was of it. I need to look up the difference between a wolf and coyote. I've always thought coyotes had the build of a hyena and wolves dogs, as wolves are related to dogs. These coyotes described sound big.

• Upvote 2

I didn't think they would be coming down the UP-North, but that's probably what they are doing. The area there next to the tracks gets pretty quiet in the midday period as i have walked up the streets there looking at the UP-North bridge/parking garage/station project that's been going on there. The animal's sound intelligent, more so than a dog and can probably evade capture being creatures of the outdoors with their cunning ability. They really are Wile E. Coyotes. :P The one i saw was in the western suburbs. When it ran it had a strange gait to it. It seemed to have good strong muscles on it. i was kind of wondering if it would try to attack me but it was as bewildered/scared of me as I was of it. I need to look up the difference between a wolf and coyote. I've always thought coyotes had the build of a hyena and wolves dogs, as wolves are related to dogs. These coyotes described sound big.

I've seen them on the tracks along ravenswood, once from the Ravenswood Station, once from ground level by the the CTA yard on Grace.

It's really hard for experts to tell the difference between wolves, coyotes and dogs. (Well, some dogs. Easy to tell a beagle from a wolf!) It wasn't until fairly recently that modern genetics decided the issues of speciation. Mostly, there are still some disputes. (Wolves and domestic dogs are both subspecies of Canis lupus. they coyote is Canis latrans. There is more genetic variation between the coyote and the wolf than there is betwen the wolf and a teacup sized toy dog.)

The city lets them be so they eat the new vermin, rabbits. They've been breeding like... no, I wont. The rabbits are cute but eat everything in sight. I assume the coyotes eat rats, skunks, and raccoons too. I know I've been smelling less skunk over the last couple years. It's kind of a shame because my wife and I actually like the smell!

The city lets them be so they eat the new vermin, rabbits. They've been breeding like... no, I wont. The rabbits are cute but eat everything in sight. I assume the coyotes eat rats, skunks, and raccoons too. I know I've been smelling less skunk over the last couple years. It's kind of a shame because my wife and I actually like the smell!

Yeah rabbits are all over the place in my neighborhood and sometimes had to be careful with taking out the trash after sunset because of the possible startled skunk jumping out and ready to spray you.