June 1958 internal CTA transit map.

2200fan

This is an internal CTA map from June 1958, right when the Eisenhower expressway line went live. It's 8 pages and it is my personal property, I didn't download it I've had this for quite awhile, I don't remember where I bought it. I think it's pretty cool myself.

Looks similar to the track maps at the back of CERA 115, so I wonder if those were independently developed.

It also looks like the Laramie yard was still connected to the system, although the Garfield Park L east of there is off the map.

The 2 stations along Van Buren had a continuous platform ?

chicago-l.org says on its LaSalle-Van Buren page that that was eventually the case. "By 1942, as part of an ongoing platform lengthening effort, the platforms of all three Van Buren stations had been extended to the point of being continuous from State to LaSalle. Trains still made separate stops along it, though."

The map also indicates a continuous platform between Randolph and Madison stations on Wells, which chicago-l.org confirms on the Madison-Wells page. Of course, that was replaced by the Washington-Wells station.

• 1 month later...

chicago-l.org says on its LaSalle-Van Buren page that that was eventually the case. "By 1942, as part of an ongoing platform lengthening effort, the platforms of all three Van Buren stations had been extended to the point of being continuous from State to LaSalle. Trains still made separate stops along it, though."

The map also indicates a continuous platform between Randolph and Madison stations on Wells, which chicago-l.org confirms on the Madison-Wells page. Of course, that was replaced by the Washington-Wells station.

There were once THREE stops on Van Buren, State, Dearborn, and LaSalle. The stop at Dearborn was dropped by 1947, but the long platform (along with the long platform on Wells between Randolph and Madison), fell victim to a CTA scrap drive in the late 60's, along with may other relics of the past, such as Wells Terminal, North Water Terminal, Old Northwest, Humboldt Stub, Lake Transfer station on Lake, various remains of stations on Douglas such as Drake, Douglas Park, Wood, 14th Pl, Roosevelt, old Pulaski yard on Douglas, remains of old platforms at 26th, 31st, Pershing on South Main. All this stuff had been sitting for 20 years unused. The old Douglas and South stations were basically nothing but platform steel, no stairways or canopies, and buildings were long gone, but Lake Transfer at Paulina was almost totally intact!