Gary GPTC will Extend services at Hammond, East Chicago, Highland and Munster on May 5th.

Doesn't seem to be getting a lot of public support according to the dumb comments listed below the article on the Post Tribune. However, I also think some of these comments are for people that have nothing else better to do with their lives. Considering the public hearing had a packed house in huge favor of it. I'm sure it truly was a major need.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't seem to be getting a lot of public support according to the dumb comments listed below the article on the Post Tribune. However, I also think some of these comments are for people that have nothing else better to do with their lives. Considering the public hearing had a packed house in huge favor of it. I'm sure it truly was a major need.

Yeah that's the price we pay for having a lot of our information so easily accessible through the internet. We're always going to encounter feeble minded degenerates who always have something negative to say solely based on their having nothing worthwhile going on in their lives instead of it being a legitimate disagreement with the topic at hand.

Especially through Facebook comments, but the link didn't work for me.

Here is the correct link to the Times.

This had been mentioned in the Times before.

The only thing illuminating from the prior Times article and a study posted on the GPTC site is that there would be one feeder bus, basically serving the Indianapolis Boulevard corridor (Purdue Calumet, and Ultra), and then Calumet Ave. in Munster (Hammond Clinic, Target). There would also be some changes to Route 12, Tri City Connection. Doesn't do anything for the former Calumet Ave. corridor in Hammond nor the two residential circulator routes that Easygo used to serve.

The survey also indicates a Whiting and North Hammond feeder, but the survey and articles indicate that it was not funded. Apparently there is some JARC money for the Hammond one. Also, this sure isn't like when the City of Hammond paid GPTC to run a local system.

I suppose some service in Hammond is better than none at all.

But basically only if you live in Woodmar.

Also, this doesn't indicate if it is coordinated with ECT, which at least used to serve Woodmar (probably now Walmart, as the mall is gone, although Carson's is still there), and, as a consequence, paratransit went down to about 175th.

Also, this doesn't indicate if it is coordinated with ECT, which at least used to serve Woodmar (probably now Walmart, as the mall is gone, although Carson's is still there), and, as a consequence, paratransit went down to about 175th.

The Woodmar area and Kmart/Ultra area had better ridership when I lived in Hammond than any other part save service for Hammond High.

• 3 months later...

It's hard to tell from ECT's schedules, but there is some service to Woodmar from what I can tell.

Service began on May 27:

http://www.gptcbus.com/routes_files/Rte%2012%20-%20Lakeshore%20Connection.pdf

They're already making tweaks to the 24/Lakeshore South route, which serves a good portion of Downtown Hammond, from what I can see on the map.

12 doesn't appear much different from what it has been (under the name Tri Cities Connection; former schedule).

24 is new, and the new thing indicated in the map is that there is the loop via Ridge, 175th, Columbia, so it does a much better job of serving south Hammond than I originally thought.

Also connects with Pace, although I don't see why they can't reopen the Hammond Transit Center.