Chicago Fire Department Bus Towing

I was on Halsted St. at UIC when I saw a rather large tow truck with a bus attached to it pull up to a CTA bus stop on the same side of the street as me. The bus had a slight to moderate hump on the top and what I thought was a red stripe, which made me think one of the CTA hybrid buses had broken down. The tow truck stopped in the bike lane and the driver got out, which is when I started to cross the street. After crossing Halsted, I noticed the bus had "Chicago Fire Department" on the side. From the side, the bus looked modern and shiny. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance. :)

I was on Halsted St. at UIC when I saw a rather large tow truck with a bus attached to it pulled up to a CTA bus stop on the same side of the street as me. The bus had a slight to moderate hump on the top and what I thought was a red stripe, which made me think one of the CTA hybrid buses had broken down. The tow truck stopped in the bike lane and the driver got out, which is when I started to cross the street. After crossing Halsted, I noticed the bus had "Chicago Fire Department" on the side. From the side, the bus looked modern and shiny. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance. :)

No, but on 79th and State, I did see #1945 with red stripes and the outside of it did look kind of rusty. It was also on a tow truck.

I was on Halsted St. at UIC when I saw a rather large tow truck with a bus attached to it pulled up to a CTA bus stop on the same side of the street as me. The bus had a slight to moderate hump on the top and what I thought was a red stripe, which made me think one of the CTA hybrid buses had broken down. The tow truck stopped in the bike lane and the driver got out, which is when I started to cross the street. After crossing Halsted, I noticed the bus had "Chicago Fire Department" on the side. From the side, the bus looked modern and shiny. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance. :)

This was one of the ex-CTA New Flyers you saw that are now CFD buses(there are two or three). It is an ex-5800 Series D40LF that was manufactured in 1995. The slight to moderate hump on top is the HVAC unit. I believe the CFD had it repainted(especially the red stripe you mention), that's why it looks so modern and shiny. The CFD washes equipment daily, unlike the CTA.

This was one of the ex-CTA New Flyers you saw that are now CFD buses(there are two or three). It is an ex-5800 Series D40LF that was manufactured in 1995. The slight to moderate hump on top is the HVAC unit. I believe the CFD had it repainted(especially the red stripe you mention), that's why it looks so modern and shiny. The CFD washes equipment daily, unlike the CTA.

Thanks! Yeah, it did have that New Flyer boxy look to it, so you're probably right.

As mentioned previously, the CFD has a few exCTA buses in their vehicle inventory. We have an exCTA 1995 Flxible bus and one of their 96in. non lift model RTS buses, in my pic that you see!! :) This bus currently sits at the CFD shops at 31st/Sacramento ave. You can see it passing down 31st st. but it is kind a tucked away in the back of the lot.

Thanks for the spot on link.

No, but on 79th and State, I did see #1945 with red stripes and the outside of it did look kind of rusty. It was also on a tow truck.

And one other thing, CTA's bus livery scheme is red, white and blue. So it stands to reason that 1945 and any other current in service bus is going to have a red stripe. As for the "rust" you and others seem to keep seeing on CTA equipment, that's nothing more than dirt and grime that comes from those particular buses and trains not yet being washed after some recent wet weather. :lol:

And one other thing, CTA's bus livery scheme is red, white and blue. So it stands to reason that 1945 and any other current in service bus is going to have a red stripe. As for the "rust" you and others seem to keep seeing on CTA equipment, that's nothing more than dirt and grime that comes from those particular buses and trains not yet being washed after some recent wet weather. :lol:

The reason I brought up the red stripes is because I believe that they're straps to keep the bus from being disconnected to the tow truck.