CBS- 2 Says CTA Knows The Cause Of Orange Derailment

chicagopcclcar

Its not "Loop" track!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/24/mechanical-problem-blamed-for-last-weeks-cta-derailment/

CHICAGO (CBS) — CBS 2 has learned why a CTA Orange Line train derailed last week, causing pieces of wood and metal fasteners like these to rain down on the busy road and sidewalk below the tracks.

A CTA spokesperson says what happened on the tracks above me, was a parking brake caliper detached from the rail car, then the wheels of the third car on the train, hit the caliper, causing the derailment.

CTA spokesperson Brian Steele tells CBS 2 that asecurityicon1.png camera shows just a subtle movement of train car. The operator was unaware one set of wheels came off track and the third car of the 200 ton train had one wheel riding on the ties

The wheel riding on the wooden ties caused debris and steel e-clips to fall onto Wells and Van Buren last Tuesday.

This is the third incident for the CTA in the past few months. In March, a motorman fell asleep at the wheel on approach at O’Hare, sending her train right up an escalator. Those nearby ran frantically to avoid the train. Then last November, a runaway train, rammed a train on the Blue Line.

Its not "Loop" track!

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/24/mechanical-problem-blamed-for-last-weeks-cta-derailment/

CHICAGO (CBS) — CBS 2 has learned why a CTA Orange Line train derailed last week, causing pieces of wood and metal fasteners like these to rain down on the busy road and sidewalk below the tracks.

A CTA spokesperson says what happened on the tracks above me, was a parking brake caliper detached from the rail car, then the wheels of the third car on the train, hit the caliper, causing the derailment.

CTA spokesperson Brian Steele tells CBS 2 that asecurityicon1.png camera shows just a subtle movement of train car. The operator was unaware one set of wheels came off track and the third car of the 200 ton train had one wheel riding on the ties

The wheel riding on the wooden ties caused debris and steel e-clips to fall onto Wells and Van Buren last Tuesday.

This is the third incident for the CTA in the past few months. In March, a motorman fell asleep at the wheel on approach at O’Hare, sending her train right up an escalator. Those nearby ran frantically to avoid the train. Then last November, a runaway train, rammed a train on the Blue Line.

This is interesting to hear but the ghost train incident happened on September 30th. The firings were reported on November 1st.

I noticed they greased the heck out of tower 12's tracks. I hate to see what would've happened on a high speed part of the line if that fell off.

An eight car train of 6000 series derailed at the 7th and 8th cars. Train pulled cars 1/4 mile before cars 7 and 8 fell off and landed on the ground. Rules change..... inspect train before running again.

An eight car train of 6000 series derailed at the 7th and 8th cars. Train pulled cars 1/4 mile before cars 7 and 8 fell off and landed on the ground. Rules change..... inspect train before running again.

I know you're talking about the derailment at 40th & Indiana (December 7th 1966). I was 10 years old when that happened; it was the talk of Chicago for months afterward. But I always wanted to know what the REAL cause of that derailment was. My memory is not the best. But it seems the initial news reports stated that the trip cock/mechanism on the truck of one of those derailed cars loosened, fell off and got caught under a wheel while rounding the curve at 40th & Wabash. I also vaguely remember chairman George DeMent giving a picture illustration of a series 6000 undercarriage supporting that report. But then later investigation seemed to focus on the motorman as if it was his fault.

What really caused that wreck? Yeah, I know that was nearly 50 years ago, but I'm still curious. And especially so because it sounds kinda similar to what happened with the Orange Line train a week ago, although the Orange Line derailment wasn't nearly as devastating.